pocket JJ and a draw

buckster436

buckster436

Cardschat Hall of Famer - RIP Buck
Silver Level
Total posts
Awards
Chips
Tuesday at our paradise freeroll i was dealt pocket jacks>the first bettor raised ( normal play) then another guy called and i called the flop came 9s 7c 2s well the guy that had raised went all-in,the other guy called so i called the all-in with my jacks figuring i had the best hand and i was right. The guy that went all-in was on a spade draw,the other guy had pocket 10s and my jacks were the besthand,then on the turn ( you no what happened LOL ) a spade,well i was out just like that,the guy caught his flush, which is ok if your short stacked and go all-in on a draw. I didnt mine losing but the point is I dont think going all-in in the first five minutes of a tourney on a draw is very smart. So at todays Jetset tourney i think ill change my strategy so i dont run into some dumb ass and he puts me out. good luck in todays jetset tourney to all.
buckster436:icon_blac

K

Kanufi

Enthusiast
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
Hi,

I know what you mean, had a similar experience at the wsop qualifier two days ago. Seems like a lot of people go all in at the beginning of a NL tourney. So here is my question. What is the best way of dealing when meeting people like that? Is it better to let a good likely winning hand pass or go in and hope for the best?

C

colin_147

Visionary
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
Well luckily tonights freeroll is only for cardschat members, so hopefully there wont be that many dumb asses playing...........:bird:

tenbob

tenbob

Legend
Silver Level
Total posts
Awards
Chips
I ususally only call an all in bet on the first hand if i have aces(no choice really) I can justify mucking everything else. just be safe in the knowledge that your a better player than most and eventually youll hit your hands by playing correctly. And its very rare to see someone that in all in on the first hand playing against u at the final table :bawling:

buckster436

buckster436

Cardschat Hall of Famer - RIP Buck
Silver Level
Total posts
Awards
Chips
buckster436 said:
Tuesday at our paradise freeroll i was dealt pocket jacks>the first bettor raised ( normal play) then another guy called and i called the flop came 9s 7c 2s well the guy that had raised went all-in,the other guy called so i called the all-in with my jacks figuring i had the best hand and i was right. The guy that went all-in was on a spade draw,the other guy had pocket 10s and my jacks were the besthand,then on the turn ( you no what happened LOL ) a spade,well i was out just like that,the guy caught his flush, which is ok if your short stacked and go all-in on a draw. I didnt mine losing but the point is I dont think going all-in in the first five minutes of a tourney on a draw is very smart. So at todays Jetset tourney i think ill change my strategy so i dont run into some dumb ass and he puts me out. good luck in todays jetset tourney to all.
buckster436:icon_blac
This wasnt the final table it was the second or third hand we were only playing for 5 minutes and to go all-in on a draw at that time dont make any sense to me>>oh well thats poker

Z

Zypher22

Enthusiast
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
I agree, going all in with a draw may not be the best play, but I can sort of see the logic. They have a draw, they are about 35-36% to hit it, if they go all in and everyone folds they take down the pot and don't have to worry about missing the draw, however, risking someone calling and knocking you out of the tournament is not too smart in my opinion.

The problem with freerolls or even 1 or 2 dollar tournaments is that you run into these people alot (especially in 1 dollar rebuy tourneys, I watched the start of one, there were more than 30 rebuys in the first few seconds).

One tournament at Paradise I played there was a player, who when I got moved to the table was the big stack, went all in EVERY hand I saw him play, and the worst thing was he would get lucky and end up winning most of them. When people at the table would complain, he would just say "its a freeroll, I don't care" Its the attitudes like that, that ruin these tournaments.
You really have to go into a freeroll knowing this, and adjust your play accordingly.

P

pkr4free

Rising Star
Bronze Level
Total posts
Chips
If you do play at "re-buys in" games , it's my experience the more chips you gather early the better. I allways see the first 3 cards. and play with very low hands. Not many people like to re-buy in and that make them more conservative. and because of this, player who gamble the creziest (at least in the early stages) usually, make the final tables. But this is the exception. Pass and fold for the first 30 minuts or longer is the best way ( again, in my umble experience!) to go the farther in this kind of tourney. Just seat and watch and occasionally, with a great hand bet all in. PATIENCE. win this games in the long run. And yes...I won quite a few = ). So best luck to you and try the pass and fold. If you do the math, at a 15 minuts blind game after an hour without playing you still have probably about 800 chips on a 1000 chips buy-in game and about 35% avarage, less people in the tourney ( bad pleyers are gone!!) and there after the game begin to be fun.:congrats: