PLO8 cbets, bluffs

B

baudib1

Legend
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
This is a standard bluff with the single A of the flush showing...I'm not sure if I want a bad call or a good fold, as I am probably bluffing with the best hand here both ways. The A on the river helps as it probably counterfeits his low. But if he's folding a J-high flush or straight, it's good.

Pot Limit Omaha Hi/Lo Tournament
$11 + $1 Sit & Go (Turbo)
9 players
Converted at weaktight.com

Stacks:
UTG lbirdie123 (1500)
UTG+1 CardFish2 (1500)
MP1 CantWinAtWar (1500)
MP2 beefpounder (1410)
MP3 hollyf (1605)
CO mjafer03 (1485)
BTN HOWELER2 (1365)
SB Hero (1440)
BB undeenos (1695)

Blinds: 15/30

Pre-flop: (45, 9 players) Hero is SB Q:heart: 3:club: 2:spade: A:diamond:
3 folds, beefpounder calls 30, hollyf calls 30, 1 fold, HOWELER2 calls 30, Hero raises to 90, 1 fold, beefpounder calls 60, hollyf calls 60, HOWELER2 calls 60

Flop: K:diamond: 4:heart: 7:diamond: (390, 4 players)
Hero checks, beefpounder checks, hollyf checks, HOWELER2 checks

Turn: Q:diamond: (390, 4 players)
Hero bets 150, 2 folds, HOWELER2 calls 150

River: A:club: (690, 2 players)
Hero bets 690, HOWELER2 folds

Final Pot: 1,380

Hero wins 1,380 ( won +450 )
HOWELER2 lost -240
beefpounder lost -90
hollyf lost -90

Dry flop here is a good board for AA23 unimproved.

8 players

Stacks:
UTG undeenos (1645)
UTG+1 lbirdie123 (1400)
MP1 CantWinAtWar (1625)
MP2 beefpounder (1665)
CO hollyf (2780)
BTN mjafer03 (1410)
SB HOWELER2 (1225)
BB Hero (1750)

Blinds: 30/60

Pre-flop: (90, 8 players) Hero is BB A:diamond: 3:heart: 2:heart: A:club:
2 folds, CantWinAtWar calls 60, beefpounder calls 60, hollyf calls 60, 1 fold, HOWELER2 calls 30, Hero raises to 360, CantWinAtWar calls 300, beefpounder folds, hollyf folds, HOWELER2 folds

Flop: 8:heart: 7:diamond: 3:spade: (900, 2 players)
Hero bets 900, CantWinAtWar folds

Final Pot: 900

Hero wins 1,800 ( won +540 )
HOWELER2 lost -60
CantWinAtWar lost -360
beefpounder lost -60
hollyf lost -60

This one was a little ballsy but position helps...tough board to continue on without a K/monster wrap/FD. I think half-pot might be better tho.

8 players

Stacks:
UTG beefpounder (1875)
UTG+1 hollyf (3085)
MP1 mjafer03 (1350)
MP2 HOWELER2 (980)
CO Hero (2260)
BTN undeenos (1525)
SB lbirdie123 (1340)
BB CantWinAtWar (1085)

Blinds: 40/80

Pre-flop: (120, 8 players) Hero is CO 5:diamond: 3:club: A:diamond: 7:club:
4 folds, Hero calls 80, 1 fold, lbirdie123 calls 40, CantWinAtWar raises to 240, Hero calls 160, lbirdie123 calls 160

Flop: K:spade: J:club: K:club: (720, 3 players)
lbirdie123 checks, CantWinAtWar checks, Hero bets 720, lbirdie123 folds, CantWinAtWar folds

Final Pot: 720

Hero wins 1,440 ( won +480 )
lbirdie123 lost -240
CantWinAtWar lost -240

N

nQsrDiego

Rising Star
Bronze Level
Total posts
Chips
i think u played them ok
but last hand... i hope u didnt think u could witn with what u had. If u were trying a bluff, ok, it worked :)

c9h13no3

c9h13no3

Is drawing with AK
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
Hand #1 I'm kinda torn if you want a call or not on the river. Leaning towards well played though, since there's a decent number of weak highs that play this way.

C-bet less in hand #2 for sure.

Last edited:
B

baudib1

Legend
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
Hand 2: Aren't we usually freerolling at worst against A2 here?

c9h13no3

c9h13no3

Is drawing with AK
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
Hand 2: Aren't we usually freerolling at worst against A2 here?
Depends totally on his draw to high. But you *want* a call from A2 here, so why bet so large?

B

baudib1

Legend
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
OK, good point. But if he bricked the flop he's not callling anything, if he has A2 he's calling anything and we're obviously shipping the turn...

dwolfg

dwolfg

Visionary
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
I suggest eliminating the bluff from omaha strategy until conditions are PERFECT to bluff(you know exactly what your opponent has somehow).

B

baudib1

Legend
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
That can't be +EV against omaha nits who only bet with the nuts, esp. in a turbo.

Y

young hova

Rock Star
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
Here are just some of my opinions, keep in mind though I mainly play PLO, not PLO8 (its been a while)

hand 1:

I think you played the hand good, though I don't think you need to bet as much on the river. I'm thinking you bet the river big because you don't want any marginal hands calling which is smart if the player isn't a calling station. Remember though this is early tournament and your taking a huge risk with that bet because if he has even 23 with any of his cards suited in diamonds good chance he'll probably call you here. I don't think you have to pot the river especially since you didn't pot the turn, I think you can make a bet of ~500 based on your turn bet and get the same results and save you money when he does call.

hand 2:

I'm kind of stuck on the raise, I don't think you should raise THAT much, it be alot better if that ace was suited instead of that 32, but either way you have got good equity preflop with that hand. The post flop bet is ideal in a cash game, I think it works in this particular situation too. You have an isolated opponent, I don't think you want any calls here and any bet you make (even that half pot bet you said), is going to commit the villain. Your one pair can so easily be screwed if you get a call EVEN when your a head, and if a 2 peels off on the turn or river you low, along with your hi, might be completely screwed also. So I don't think you want to entice a call on the flop by making a half pot bet. Its one thing if that board came a78, than you could bet whatever you want, but you have to remember you only have one pair, and although your low is made, if the villain has a 56, that essentially takes away your set outs for that ace, and you'll be even more unlucky if an ace or a 2 comes (if he has 5 or 6) and he hits a straight.

All in all, I think if your going to raise the hand THAT big preflop, I think you gotta bet it fast, obviously your not going to fold, so don't give the villain any reason to call, especially when your hand isn't the greatest. Worst case scenario; you bet half pot and he has huge wrap straight draw favoring the low, he decides to call. That pot bet may be the difference in making the villain fold that same hand. Maybe its unlikely he'll fold that hand anyway, but if you mash the gas right than and there a pot bet is going to make all hands looking for reasons to call fold and thats what you want with your MARGINAL hand, that hand is asking to get busted when it gets called, ESPECIALLY, when the player can put you on aces (people assume, and your first hand raise was a 3x bb raise, now this hand you instaraise pot, some players will put you on aces just off the fact that you did this)

hand 3:

Don't think you needed to bet pot, maybe you did because it was a draw heavy flop, but that also can look like a flop where someone has already made a boat. All in all, IMO if someone has a king here out of the players that called, basesd on their stack sizes good chance they will stack off here no matter what you bet, even when you have the nuts. your bet size doesn't mean much to them considering they are short stacks, they have no room to really play around with you on that flop. I think you can bet half to slightly more than half the pot and get the same results in this particular situation. Alot of times someone will have the king here and may check raise you all in, you have no way of making any type of low. So on that hand I just say maybe you should cut the size of that bet down so you don't price yourself in there when you are beat considering that a bet moderately less will probably evoke the same folds.