playing pocket J's late in a tourney

dcor

dcor

Rock Star
Silver Level
Total posts
Awards
Chips
at what point of raises and reraises would you guys decide its a good time to lay these down......I've made it to late stages of 2 tourneys lately and seem to get into hands that I shouldn't, this being one of them. My question is at what point would you guys decide to lay them down preflop.....I was eleventh in chips and lost focus 3 hours into the tourney. Got taken out with pocket Jacks....

K

KillerBoo

Enthusiast
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
This is a question that I dont think can be given a general answer. So much depends on what your reads on the other players are, and your own image. The other players stacks etc etc. Here´s my personal strategies to play tricky hands like JJ, deep in tournaments.
If I have a decent stack, well above average. I dont play them unless I´m first into the pot. (Except when in SB/BB and button is the only one in the pot, then I reraise any raises but fold to a raise that committs either mine, or Enemy´s stack) I fold them UTG, I raise them late, and in mid pos it´s more the table than the cards that makes my deciscions for me really. On a supertight and weak table I raise but never too much to committ me if a tight player akes up with a reraise. I´m always prepared to lay them down on a flop thats dangerous or if I get multiple callers.

If it´s close to the bubble, I attack midstackers, but never shorties or major chippies.

If I´m shortstacked, I push, regardless of position. I don´t play to pay the coffee, I play to win and folding JJ shortstacked to survive the bubble is to weak for me.

Like any other higher pocket pair, JJ is very strong preflop unless reraised a lot, but it weakens once the flop comes with a pair or overcards. If you have a lot of chips, you dont want to play huge pots with them, but they are great to bully midstacks and (very) small stacks with, if they tend to look like they prefer to last over the bubble. They are also good enough to push if you are low, but main thing for me, is to avoid all in preflop/playing big pots against a stack that can hurt you seriously.

Needless to say, this goes for any hand, but JJ is trickier than most cos they do look damn good... at first.

My point of view, far from pro, but at least I make money on the game so maybe it´s worth something.

i desire love

i desire love

Rock Star
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
Fold Jacks when u see them. Otherwise u lose.

dcor

dcor

Rock Star
Silver Level
Total posts
Awards
Chips
I appreciate that info.....and what happened was, I got into it with a guy who was ahead of me in chips when I was in 11th place.....60 out of 350 or so left.....and he was tight and not one of your regular donks who for the most part were gone.....I think its a lack of discipline and a mixture of chip lust. Thats probably what I need to work on most.....I can make it to the later stages fine, with a little luck and concentration. I just started playing again after a long break online and in b&m but theres no excuse to losing all your chips with jj when you are in 11th place dont finish in the money and first is 1200+ dollars....thats simply inexcusible imo....thx for your input.....

J

jaymorin123

Enthusiast
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
Yea thats bad... I would of probably did the same thing. Jacks are the 4th nuts pre flop so i always get my money in there, unless there is a raise and re raise infront or me....

W

witl69

Rock Star
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
some times you just have to make your stand and hope for the best and go for it poker is a crapshoot at that stage of the game anyway even if it was AA or Kk

K

KillerBoo

Enthusiast
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
some times you just have to make your stand and hope for the best and go for it poker is a crapshoot at that stage of the game anyway even if it was AA or Kk

With 60-some players left it´s hardly as bad as a crapshoot already. And in 11th place you shouldnt treat it as such either. My goal is to minimize the crapshoot effect whenever I can. So, with a decent stack, I don´t get overexcited with a pair of jacks. I don´t get committed just to see a flop. If it´s cheap I see it, if it´s too expensive I lay it down. If I´m out of position when a tight player raises preflop, and I´m the only resistance he meets, then if we´re deep enough I always try to get as much info as possible preflop, standard raise from the enemy gets a reraise back, as long as that doesnt make either him or me committed. If I will have position at the flop. then sometimes I just call a raise. And I never ever get into the action if the pot has been raised and reraised when it´s my turn. In those cases I might try to squeeze them both with somethink like 8-9s if I think I can get away with it, but not with JJ.

K

kcirjr

Enthusiast
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
I feel late in a tourney I never want to see pocket jjs or lower. Every time i see them i end up overplaying them. SOmeone always hits a weak ace against them or has better pockets. So put in a raise with them if you are in good position, if not in good position just call with them and see what happens possibly call a decent raise not overly large. Main thing is dont put in more chips then you are willing to give up by folding.

Makwa

Makwa

Undesirable Predator
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
When in doubt, throw them out. I would be in doubt in this situation...

robert_wrath

robert_wrath

Rock Star
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
The predicament proposed is a bit touchy. If it means cashing / cashing higer, yes folding here is the correct move. Bare in mind your chip count. If your below 15 times the Big Blind and there are players below your chip stack, yes consider folding by all means.