Playing a big hand

K

ketz

Enthusiast
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
There are some people like me who cannot fully maximise the profit from a strong hand like flopping a set or a straight. I recently flopped a set of Queens and ended up losing the hand because I gave too many free cards. Is there anyone who can walk me through the hand from the flop and show me a good way to play the hand?

full tilt poker Game #3432493237: $2 + $0.15 Heads Up Sit & Go (26242566), Table 1 - 20/40 - No Limit Hold'em - 20:19:58 ET - 2007/09/01
Seat 1: Mr Str8 (1,890)
Seat 2: poddis (1,110)
Mr Str8 posts the small blind of 20
poddis posts the big blind of 40
The button is in seat #1
*** HOLE CARDS ***
Dealt to poddis [Qs Qd]
Mr Str8 raises to 80
poddis raises to 240
Mr Str8 calls 160
*** FLOP *** [8c 2h Qc]

What should I now do?

Blazing_Saddler

Blazing_Saddler

Rock Star
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
shouldn't be giving any free cards on that flop, Flush draw!!!

Plus heads up, it isn't beyond the realms of possibilty someone made the raise with 9 10, which would give them a gutshot, unlikely but possible.

Bet just over half the pot on the flop in my opinion, If he has a set, then you are doomed to loose your chips, The way I play it is bet the flop, if I get resistance, then you need to have a think about things on the turn

E

evigler

Rising Star
Bronze Level
Total posts
Chips
i would bet a pot-size bet on the flop cause of that flush draw.
i wanna make my opponent make a bad call, cause most of the time he will miss his draws.
if i get reraised im moving in. and if i get unlucky and my opponent drew out on me thats jst bad luck, cause i was a huge favour in this hand.

but the main thing is - with a dangerous flop like this you cant slow play your trips.

be aggressive ! most of the time it will pay off.

J

jeffred1111

Visionary
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
Since this HU, the chances of your opponent acutally holding the two suited cards of the same suit to complete the flush are lower than in full-ring, but this doesn't change the fact that this is a very, very dry board and not many hands will hit it (and thus pay you off). I wouldn't slowplay this too much since our opponent doesn't have a lot of opportunities to make a second best hand on he turn (unless he makes two pairs or hits a K, A, J or he already has paired his Q), while he has opportunities to beat you.

Bet half, 3/4 of the pot and hope he thinks you're stealing. Hands like this are hard to extract value from HU, since if the flush cards hits and he doesn't have it, all your action is also gone.

Starting Hands - Poker Hand Nicknames Rankings - Poker Hands