Overbet in majority is semibluff?

greatgame230

greatgame230

Visionary
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
Hi, first I want to congratulate you for the good reading of the hand, that an overbet is always a semibluff I do not think so an overbet is always a mistake even if you have the winning hand, there is no reason to make an overbet in my opinion in any case . I know it is not the question but how bad the opponent played this hand, I did not understand the call in the pre-flop and then the bet on the flop and then on the river if the utg + 1 raises almost 2.5 with 79 suited It is not a good idea to call and if then in the flop the utg + 1 calls your bet then it would be almost stupid to try to bluff after the river this I say it with all due respect to the opponent and it is my opinion does not mean that it is true but it would have been my way of thinking about this situation, first fold in the pre-flop and if for a missclick I call the pre-flop then it would be check / fold all the way with that board

F

fundiver199

Legend
Loyaler
Total posts
Awards
Chips
I think, it is very situational. You cant just look at the fact, someone overbet. You have to look at the board texture and the previous action. In this case what story is he really telling? That he have 44, bet the flop for protection, checked back the turn for pot control, and jammed the river, when he improved to a boat? This is pretty much the only hand, that makes sense for value, so his value range is like paper thin, and all the draws missed. So yeah I like this call, but you certainly should not get into a habit of calling, just because someone overbet. It has to be more than that :)

V

Veritas

Rock Star
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
nice call.
in this case their is no semi bluff because he had 9 high :p

Overall I don't think it has to be a bluff most of the time. I like to overbet when I Play against a calling Station and I have a strong Hand like 2 pair, trips, a straight or flush on a dry board.

F

fundiver199

Legend
Loyaler
Total posts
Awards
Chips
in this case their is no semi bluff because he had 9 high

On the flop the Villain was indeed semi bluffing with his draw, but on the river it was just a bluff. There is no such thing as semi bluffing on the river, or for that matter deny equity, since there are no more cards to come. Everything is very black or white on the river. We either have the best hand, or we dont.

M

madmandown

Rock Star
Bronze Level
Total posts
Awards
Chips
In some sense you are right but it depends on what kind of player he is or position, chipstakes, phase of the game , etc.....

lilu80

lilu80

Legend
Platinum Level
Total posts
Awards
PL
Chips
Yes ofc on river here is only his bluff, but I mean, most of these situations when overbet imo will be semibluff or low pair in hands.

F

fundiver199

Legend
Loyaler
Total posts
Awards
Chips
Yes ofc on river here is only his bluff, but I mean, most of these situations when overbet imo will be semibluff or low pair in hands.

It depends on the previous action. In this case he performed a kind of stop-and-go by just checking the turn and then overbetting the river. This is a pretty weird line, and probably not very good, so you can not extrapolate from this line to other situations, where people overbet.

Q

QA77

Visionary
Bronze Level
Total posts
Awards
Chips
In general an overbet is usually a bluff or close to the nuts. But this is usually the case on the river. On the flop or turn it could be a big hand trying to protect equity or a bluff. Semi bluff could qualify but just depends on the hand.

P

pokerace420

Enthusiast
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
I've been over betting hoping to get called lately and it's not workimg..