Options with AK

The Shrog

The Shrog

Cardschat Elite
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
This is the very first hand of a $5.50 SNG. Dealt AKo in the SB, I know there are options here. I don't know if I'm supposed to reraise and then fire the flop no matter what? I just hate doing that at such an early stage...I feel like I'd rather flat the raise and play post flop.

pokerstars Game #21265726826: Tournament #114721615, $5.00+$0.50 Hold'em No Limit - Level I (10/20) - 2008/10/17 10:24:16 ET
Table '114721615 1' 9-max Seat #1 is the button
Seat 1: Jari-Jari 7 (1500 in chips)
Seat 2: The Shrog (1500 in chips)
Seat 3: Monners22 (1500 in chips)
Seat 4: fonzy68 (1500 in chips)
Seat 5: corvus.c (1500 in chips)
Seat 6: JOchen343 (1500 in chips)
Seat 7: PandaWitch (1500 in chips)
Seat 8: Pavlo565 (1500 in chips)
Seat 9: karpiczek (1500 in chips)
The Shrog: posts small blind 10
Monners22: posts big blind 20
*** HOLE CARDS ***
Dealt to The Shrog [As Kh]
fonzy68: calls 20
corvus.c: folds
JOchen343: raises 60 to 80
PandaWitch: folds
Pavlo565: folds
karpiczek: folds
Jari-Jari 7: folds
The Shrog...

Steveg1976

Steveg1976

Silver Level
Total posts
Awards
Chips
I used to reraise this and shove an A or K, it can work and it can back fire. In Sit & go strategy by Moshman(?) he advocates playing AK small in the early stages to reduce variance. I have started leaning towards that way of thinking. there are a lot things that can wrong for you if you start building big pots with AKo in the first round. Either way is a legitimate way of playing and it just depends on what you are comfortable doing.

Last edited:
D

dougle14

Enthusiast
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
I am by no means a professional but in my experience with AK early in a SNG, its good to call and see a flop with out of position. If you have better position I could understand a re-raise, but in your case a call is good. If you miss the flop, atleast you didn't have more than $80 invested if you re-raise in that situation.

t1riel

t1riel

Legend
Silver Level
Total posts
Awards
Chips
Since you have no reads on anyobdy, normally reraise is the best option. Since it's a proabibily it's only going to be you and JOchen, I think a call is better. You are trying to get some reads/table images when a tournament begins.

The Shrog

The Shrog

Cardschat Elite
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
I just hate reraising and then missing the flop 2/3 of the time. We're not deepstacked, so what do we do when it's a complete brick...check and give it away? c-bet and now have like 60% of our starting stack from a bluff?

J

joemac696969

Rock Star
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
I dont like Big slick it always seems to get me in trouble, if you dont hit the flop muck it because any pair has you.

The Shrog

The Shrog

Cardschat Elite
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
... x2.

Not to take away from my original thread, but.....wat?

C

CfPoker

Rock Star
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
... x3

I'd flat this. We're out of position so want to keep the pot small. We're also disguising the strength of our hand, which can be very useful deepstacked.

The Shrog

The Shrog

Cardschat Elite
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
I'd flat this. We're out of position so want to keep the pot small. We're also disguising the strength of our hand, which can be very useful deepstacked.

I'm leaning toward agreeing with your first part...just wanted to make sure this wasn't too nitty. Secondly, do you consider 75 BB's deepstacked?

nevadanick

nevadanick

Back to work ... zzzzz
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
Call and see cards. Early, no reads, plenty of time for bolder moves.

i desire love

i desire love

Rock Star
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
I find AK the second best hand..
first is AA
then AK
then KK
in my opinion...
anyone agrees?

nways, in this spot probably depends how u wanna play. I hate getting all in preflop so id probably just call here and bet the flop no matter what comes out.

M

mrjohnson911

Rock Star
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
i couldnt agree more with your statement about the perspectives of reraising and then firing no matter what and being in danger og being left with 60 % of your stack after one hand...

for me this is a instinct choice.... sometimes i will raise it and other times just call... from my personal experience you get a lot of folds to reraises early in sit n gos cause people dont wanna throw away their chips on marginal hands like KQ, AT... most people i believe would also give up small pocket pairs...

califantasy

califantasy

Rock Star
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
You are out of position. Better to find out where you stand preflop, than be caught checking and calling the rest of the way. Put in a smallish reraise, and see if he bites back.

C

CfPoker

Rock Star
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
I'm leaning toward agreeing with your first part...just wanted to make sure this wasn't too nitty. Secondly, do you consider 75 BB's deepstacked?

As far as a STT is concerned, yes.

Mortis

Mortis

The Saurus
Loyaler
Total posts
Awards
US
Chips
First hand of the tournament, and everyone else folded... I would just call this and see what comes out on the flop.

pitter22

pitter22

Rock Star
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
I find AK the second best hand..
first is AA
then AK
then KK
in my opinion...
anyone agrees?

......... x4

anyways.. just call PF here... later on we can re-raise but no point wasting chips if we miss here out of position.

interesting post.. nice to hear everyone kind of agrees with me.

S93

S93

Legend
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
I am by no means a professional but in my experience with AK early in a SNG, its good to call and see a flop with out of position. If you have better position I could understand a re-raise, but in your case a call is good. If you miss the flop, atleast you didn't have more than $80 invested if you re-raise in that situation.
Maby im the only one but my thinking is exactly the other way around.
I rather re-raise OOP to try to take the pot down prf.
in postion i be much more likly to just smooth call since its alot easyer to play the hand post flop.

As for this hand both raising and calling are valid plays imo but im gonna conterdict my above statment and just smooth call since its the first hand.
1-2 orbits in im raising this almost every time thou.

C

CfPoker

Rock Star
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
Maby im the only one but my thinking is exactly the other way around.
I rather re-raise OOP to try to take the pot down prf.
in postion i be much more likly to just smooth call since its alot easyer to play the hand post flop.

But given that it's the first level a reraise may very well get called, meaning you're now playing an even bigger pot out of position, whereas if you flat it then you're playing a smaller pot out of position.

W

witl69

Rock Star
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
i ix up mu ply with it but that early and noone expecting muh from the small blind id probably limp and see a flop n hope to get lucky

C

chrismonk123

Enthusiast
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
in my eyes shoulda been a call! hes obv got a hand aswell but as your out of position seeing the flop could be a good idear and make ur decision from thre!

J

josh_dei8

Rock Star
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
Such a strong hand, but yet such a hand that can cause me to lose chips. I always hate getting a strong hand the first hand of a sng cause I have no read on the rest of the table. I believe I just flat call here, and see what the flop brings. I am going to be out of position the rest of this hand, so I dont think I want to come over the top with a reraise.

B

bobphilallo

Enthusiast
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
I think you should go all-in and press your luck. Or if you dont feel like it just raise it to 300-400 chips and keep playing big if you wanna win the pot.

J

jyow

Rock Star
Platinum Level
Total posts
Chips
just call, see a flop and if you hit, jam it. if you don't and he c-bets, let it go. no point gambling your 5.50 away in the first hand. you dont win tournaments by winning all you opponents chips heads up in the first hand. better to wait and get a read on a table

FatBasset

FatBasset

Rock Star
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
I don't like AK out of position enough to invest a re-raise with no read on the original raiser. My question regarding the re-raise is what are you going to do if the original comes over the top? Most of the time you are in a coin flip or dominated. I think it would be rare for someone to push a re-raise with a worse ace.

Another thing I would take into consideration is the UTG limper. Most of the time he's going to fold, but it is not uncommon for UTG limpers to have big cards waiting to be raised.

Long story short I'm only calling and hoping to see the flop.