Omaha hand analysis

PNJs_dad

PNJs_dad

Rock Star
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
I need all the Omaha players to look at this hand to be sure that I played it correctly. Is it always best to play hands such as this all out or what? I'm just not sure....

full tilt poker Game #15512934043: $300 Railbirds.com Guaranteed (110389464), Table 5 - 20/40 - Pot Limit Omaha Hi - 18:20:09 ET - 2009/10/22
Seat 1: papapower (2,915)
Seat 2: ChicagoPoker20 (3,351)
Seat 3: PNJs_dad (1,105)
Seat 4: ProJamm (2,270)
Seat 5: salettivari (1,519)
Seat 6: SpaceCasex44 (1,395), is sitting out
Seat 7: SirNordle (3,154)
Seat 8: cheezytot (4,155)
Seat 9: leanandmean (1,225)
ProJamm posts the small blind of 20
salettivari posts the big blind of 40
The button is in seat #3
*** HOLE CARDS ***
Dealt to PNJs_dad [Kh 9h Ts 9s]
SpaceCasex44 folds
ChicagoPoker20: lol
SirNordle has 15 seconds left to act
SirNordle folds
cheezytot folds
leanandmean calls 40
cheezytot: thats just how fuked up it is man ! lol
papapower folds
ChicagoPoker20: GL projamm
ChicagoPoker20 calls 40
PNJs_dad calls 40
cheezytot: seems like im the only one left ...
ProJamm: i erred i thought sb was tryin to steal my bb...
ProJamm has 15 seconds left to act
ProJamm calls 20
salettivari checks
*** FLOP *** [Ah 5h 6h]
SpaceCasex44 has been disconnected
ProJamm checks
salettivari checks
leanandmean checks
ChicagoPoker20 checks
PNJs_dad bets 100
ProJamm folds
salettivari raises to 280
leanandmean folds
ChicagoPoker20 folds
PNJs_dad raises to 1,040
salettivari has 15 seconds left to act
salettivari raises to 1,479, and is all in
PNJs_dad calls 25, and is all in
salettivari shows [Ac 3s Ad Jd]
PNJs_dad shows [Kh 9h Ts 9s]
Uncalled bet of 414 returned to salettivari

Should I have waited till I saw a turn card or did I play it right? I know Omaha strategy is alot different from NL Holdem strategy so I want to hear what Omaha players think. Thanks:)

roundcat

roundcat

Creature of leisure
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
You should have raised preflop and salettivari should have reraised.

Otherwise, good as played. You want to get it in with the nut flush on the flop. He's the one who could have been more cautious with top set on that board.

PNJs_dad

PNJs_dad

Rock Star
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
You should have raised preflop and salettivari should have reraised.

The only reason I didn't raise preflop was that, while I thought I had a good hand and I was on the button, I'm still not a good Omaha tournament player. I really need to sit down and study, either with books or on the web, the game more. I just don't play it enough to justify spending a whole lot of time on it. Thanks for your response. :)

cardplayer52

cardplayer52

Cardschat Elite
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
i dont play much omaha but would imagine you would want to get it in ahead. what would you do if the turn paired the board? fold? i dont play this game much but wouldnt people stack off with lots of lesser hands?

c9h13no3

c9h13no3

Is drawing with AK
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
You got all in with the nut flush... is this a level?

slycbnew

slycbnew

Cardschat Elite
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
I'm still learning the game, but I'll give the analysis a shot - but I'll probably end up asking more questions than I answer. I hope experienced players will flesh this out!

Pf - If we're raising pf, we're obv trying to thin the field and gain initiative - is this hand also strong enough to be raising for value?

Flop - We have the current nuts w no redraw unless a 9 hits the board. No need to worry about straights or flushes outdrawing us, a fh draw is the only danger.

The pot is 200 on the flop? Wouldn't a full psb here have been correct?

Once we re-raise to 1040, we have to call the shove. So the only question is whether we should've flatted to the raise.

Deepstacked, flatting may be the correct move (if the turn doesn't pair, then another psb seems in order), but we'll have almost 1/3 of our stack in just to call here, I think getting it in w the current nuts and only a fh draw to worry about is the best play (note I'm a relatively shove-happy NLHE player, so this is framed as a question, not a statement)?

EDIT: lol, question answered in post above...

O

only_bridge

Legend
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
The big misstake IMO that you do here is to play this hand in the first place. Fold pre-flop and wait for a good hand instead.
Getting money in on the flop with 70% chance to win is good, just unlucky.

c9h13no3

c9h13no3

Is drawing with AK
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
The big misstake IMO that you do here is to play this hand in the first place. Fold pre-flop and wait for a good hand instead.
Getting money in on the flop with 70% chance to win is good, just unlucky.
Wtf, we have 4 co-ordinated cards, a suited king, and a pair that will be top set once in a while. What else do you want? AAJTds? Omaha is mostly about fitting flops with your hand, and not sucking at turn/river play. There's no way this is getting folded pre.

I'm not really good enough at Omaha to figure out if raising or limping is better. I'd lean towards limping in since we've already got a multi-way pot, and I don't think our hand has enough ways to make the nuts to justify building a pot this early. But I could be persuaded to raise as well since we'll hit a decent number of flops.

Last edited:
kmixer

kmixer

Legend
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
You hit the nut flush on the flop. Why did you only bet 100? That board is scary even for his set of Aces. A full pot bet from up front might have gotten him out and it might not have however you had to try and get him out not give him an opportunity to improve.

kmixer

kmixer

Legend
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
Answers below in bold

I'm still learning the game, but I'll give the analysis a shot - but I'll probably end up asking more questions than I answer. I hope experienced players will flesh this out!

Pf - If we're raising pf, we're obv trying to thin the field and gain initiative - is this hand also strong enough to be raising for value? In my opinion no it is not. He has two limpers ahead of him limp and see what happens.

Flop - We have the current nuts w no redraw unless a 9 hits the board. No need to worry about straights or flushes outdrawing us, a fh draw is the only danger. A straight flush is possible. Certainly not worth worrying about at the flop though.

The pot is 200 on the flop? Wouldn't a full psb here have been correct? Yes a full pot bet is the correct move here.

Once we re-raise to 1040, we have to call the shove. So the only question is whether we should've flatted to the raise. There is really no way to fold this hand at the flop.

Deepstacked, flatting may be the correct move (if the turn doesn't pair, then another psb seems in order), but we'll have almost 1/3 of our stack in just to call here, I think getting it in w the current nuts and only a fh draw to worry about is the best play (note I'm a relatively shove-happy NLHE player, so this is framed as a question, not a statement)?

EDIT: lol, question answered in post above...

Starting Hands - Poker Hand Nicknames Rankings - Poker Hands