Omaha hand

Alon Ipser

Alon Ipser

Cardschat Elite
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
Spending some of my hard earned winnings from the H/U tourny

full tilt poker Game #1202799335: Table Wallace - $0.05/$0.10 - No Limit Omaha Hi/Lo - 0:57:03 ET - 2006/11/06
Seat 1: thumb_crusher ($9)
Seat 2: Alon Ipser ($8.90)
Seat 3: floridaqueenbee ($5)
Seat 4: Bates911 ($16.25)
Seat 5: DJ 03 ($11.15)
Seat 6: PowerMaster ($3.50)
Seat 7: blackyblack ($9.90)
Seat 9: spoochie ($18.30)
floridaqueenbee posts the small blind of $0.05
Bates911 posts the big blind of $0.10
The button is in seat #2
*** HOLE CARDS ***
Dealt to Alon Ipser [9d Ad Kh Jd]
DJ 03 calls $0.10
PowerMaster calls $0.10
blackyblack folds
spoochie calls $0.10
thumb_crusher calls $0.10
Alon Ipser calls $0.10
floridaqueenbee calls $0.05
Bates911 checks
*** FLOP *** [2d Td Qs] Look at the outs. Any 8, 9, J, K, or A gives me the nut straight or any diamond gives me the nut flush.
floridaqueenbee bets $0.10
Bates911 calls $0.10
DJ 03 has 15 seconds left to act
DJ 03 folds
PowerMaster folds
spoochie raises to $1.10
thumb_crusher calls $1.10
Alon Ipser calls $1.10
floridaqueenbee calls $1
Bates911 folds
*** TURN *** [2d Td Qs] [As] Hit the nut straight. My concerns here are the spade flush draw and the board pairing for a possible fullhouse as always. Also I don't want anyone drawing to the low hand. Should I push here, make a smaller raise or call and see what develops?
floridaqueenbee bets $0.90
spoochie calls $0.90
thumb_crusher folds
Alon Ipser ?

Dorkus Malorkus

Dorkus Malorkus

HELLO INTERNET
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
Preflop button limp is reasonable at a weak table if a little loose with what is essentially a marginal one-way hand, reraise flop with your 50 zillion outs and either get it all in there and then if the action dictates it or push a good turn. Most likely having reraised the flop you will be able to take a free river if you miss on the turn, too.

Bombjack

Bombjack

Legend
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
I've never played No-limit Omaha (only pot limit, and I'm not very good at that...) but I'd have thought you HAVE to raise the flop for value. You have so many outs that you're a favourite against a set, and you'll probably get called by worse draws.

medeiros13

medeiros13

Rock Star
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
Preflop button limp is reasonable at a weak table if a little loose with what is essentially a marginal one-way hand

I've got to respectfully disagree with this. If A2 is considered a powerful hand in Omaha, then why would you consider 3 broadway cards with a suited ace marginal?? What's the difference between playing A2xx and 3 broadway cards. One hand you want to get a low, the other you're hoping for the high...Each hand is easy enough to get away from if the flop doesn't fit your holding.

Bombjack, Alon called a reasonable reraise after the flop. Do you want him to re-raise the 1.10 that stares him in the face? I have no problem with the call because you don't have a MADE hand yet, so build the pot slowly. This is especially true b/c this is a NL game, not a PL game.

As for the turn, if my calculations are correct, you're looking at a 5.20 pot. FloridaQueen only brought in $5 bucks so you could bet 3 bucks to try and put her all in if you want to grow a decent pot. Spoochie has you covered so you won't easily scare him/her off the pot unless they've got garbage. (not likely with the initial .90 call on the turn) I would try to take down the pot here with a big push. Let the two opponents chase for the low or a potential boat. It is possible that you could get a call with a K high flush and no low draw :D

Bombjack

Bombjack

Legend
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
Bombjack, Alon called a reasonable reraise after the flop. Do you want him to re-raise the 1.10 that stares him in the face? I have no problem with the call because you don't have a MADE hand yet, so build the pot slowly. This is especially true b/c this is a NL game, not a PL game.

If you're the favourite in the hand it doesn't matter whether your hand is made yet or not. You're better off getting your money in while you're the favourite over a made hand and not waiting for the turn card when you might not be the favourite any more. By raising you get both fold equity and the chance for someone to re-raise, which they might do with a set, over which you're a favourite.

I didn't notice it was hi-lo but I don't think it makes a difference to the flop advice. But it gives you more reason to raise big on the turn - you have to bet the pot (or overbet it?) because you're splitting if a card below an 8 comes, plus you could lose to a full house or a spade flush.

I'd agree that the hand is marginal, but nothing wrong in limping in from the button. In O8 you should always play for the scoop, not just the high or low. Any A2 is worth playing because you have a draw to the nut low, and the other cards have the chance to make the best high - like playing junk cards in Hold'em which still have 30% equity against the likes of AK. High hands as played here are playable only because sometimes there isn't going to be a low end of the pot... and if there are no low cards you're more likely to make a straight with the high cards on the board.

medeiros13

medeiros13

Rock Star
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
If you're the favourite in the hand it doesn't matter whether your hand is made yet or not. You're better off getting your money in while you're the favourite over a made hand and not waiting for the turn card when you might not be the favourite any more. By raising you get both fold equity and the chance for someone to re-raise, which they might do with a set, over which you're a favourite.

I know the majority of people will agree with you but I just don't. I understand that Omaha is a drawing game and you should push draws but I've been burned badly too many times doing this w/o something behind it. (ie 2 pair or even a pair) In this case Alon has a huge draw but nothing to back it up right now...that's why I say control the size of the pot until you hit. I know you may lose some value on hands you hit but you also lose less when you don't.

I actually made this change in play after reading an article on FT about Allen Cunningham's run through the wsop. It mentioned how often he played big pots and the big hands that he carried. I found it remarkable and swore I'd implement that into my game. I have and I'm very comfortable with the change in my game. I've also found that my success in O8 games have improved since then.

PS- I just finished a SnG where I pushed a huge draw (open ended straight draw and nut flush) and again came up blank. Ironically, I probably fold this hand if I didn't see this post earlier in the day lol. ;)

Bombjack

Bombjack

Legend
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
PS- I just finished a SnG where I pushed a huge draw (open ended straight draw and nut flush) and again came up blank. Ironically, I probably fold this hand if I didn't see this post earlier in the day lol. ;)

Open ended straight draw and nut flush only just over 50% to hit. Alon's draw here is much bigger - his wrap gives him an extra 9 or so outs. I haven't counted but he's probably around 70-75% to hit.

Alon Ipser

Alon Ipser

Cardschat Elite
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
I have been playing PLO lately at Stars and doing quite well playing tight. I played NLO8 at Full tilt because they didn't have a full table PLO game going at this limit. Didn't really matter with this hand though because it would have ended up all in either way. I agree with DM and Bombjack and should have been stonger on the flop but don't think I'm running spoochie off his set. I had 20 outs, not counting the Qs which pairs the board, for 69.7% chance of hitting. I have no idea why florida stays in even though she gets lucky and catches low.

Full Tilt Poker Game #1202799335: Table Wallace - $0.05/$0.10 - No Limit Omaha Hi/Lo - 0:57:03 ET - 2006/11/06
Seat 1: thumb_crusher ($9)
Seat 2: Alon Ipser ($8.90)
Seat 3: floridaqueenbee ($5)
Seat 4: Bates911 ($16.25)
Seat 5: DJ 03 ($11.15)
Seat 6: PowerMaster ($3.50)
Seat 7: blackyblack ($9.90)
Seat 9: spoochie ($18.30)
floridaqueenbee posts the small blind of $0.05
Bates911 posts the big blind of $0.10
The button is in seat #2
*** HOLE CARDS ***
Dealt to Alon Ipser [9d Ad Kh Jd]
DJ 03 calls $0.10
PowerMaster calls $0.10
blackyblack folds
spoochie calls $0.10
thumb_crusher calls $0.10
Alon Ipser calls $0.10
floridaqueenbee calls $0.05
Bates911 checks
*** FLOP *** [2d Td Qs]
floridaqueenbee bets $0.10
Bates911 calls $0.10
DJ 03 has 15 seconds left to act
DJ 03 folds
PowerMaster folds
spoochie raises to $1.10
thumb_crusher calls $1.10
Alon Ipser calls $1.10
floridaqueenbee calls $1
Bates911 folds
*** TURN *** [2d Td Qs] [As]
floridaqueenbee bets $0.90
spoochie calls $0.90
thumb_crusher folds
Alon Ipser raises to $7.70, and is all in
floridaqueenbee calls $2.90, and is all in
spoochie calls $6.80
Alon Ipser shows [9d Ad Kh Jd]
floridaqueenbee shows [6c 5c Qc Jc]
spoochie shows [4s Ts Ah Tc]
*** RIVER *** [2d Td Qs As] [3s]
Alon Ipser shows a straight, Ace high, for high
spoochie shows a flush, Ace high, for high
spoochie wins the side pot ($7.45) with a flush, Ace high
floridaqueenbee shows a pair of Queens, for high
floridaqueenbee shows 6,5,3,2,A, for low
spoochie wins the high main pot ($7.50) with a flush, Ace high
floridaqueenbee wins the low main pot ($7.45) with 6,5,3,2,A
Alon Ipser is sitting out
*** SUMMARY ***
Total pot $24.40 Main pot $16.60. Side pot $7.80. | Rake $2
Board: [2d Td Qs As 3s]
Seat 1: thumb_crusher folded on the Turn
Seat 2: Alon Ipser (button) showed [9d Ad Kh Jd] and lost with HI: a straight, Ace high
Seat 3: floridaqueenbee (small blind) showed [6c 5c Qc Jc] and won ($7.45) with HI: a pair of Queens; LO: 6,5,3,2,A
Seat 4: Bates911 (big blind) folded on the Flop
Seat 5: DJ 03 folded on the Flop
Seat 6: PowerMaster folded on the Flop
Seat 7: blackyblack didn't bet (folded)
Seat 9: spoochie showed [4s Ts Ah Tc] and won ($14.95) with HI: a flush, Ace high

medeiros13

medeiros13

Rock Star
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
Tough break on the river Alon. Nothing you can do...you made him pay to chase the flush and he hit. I agree with you on Florida..that 56 isn't even a decent draw to the low.

Starting Hands - Poker Hand Nicknames Rankings - Poker Hands