OK is this a donkey play??

mellyy85

mellyy85

Enthusiast
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
sit n go on bo dog 30 dollars no reads really on anyone???

me: 2485 Blinds 50 100

button: 1800

under the gun: 1200

im in the small blind looking down at ace 7 the previous two people just called the big blind and i bump it up to 360 and they both call

flop: a 2 king i bet 775 the person under the gun folds and the dude on the button goes all in for 600 more is this an instant call ?? even if i think he has me out kikced ???:D

M

Myar

Rock Star
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
I would fold, Several reasons. First you don't want to trade spots (chip position) with him. You feel your beat, if I think I am beat, I am not going to bet at all unless I am bluffing.

If he did not have anything, and thought he did, hopefully he keeps the chips he got long enough for you to win them back from him with less risk later.

In general if someone tells me they have me beat with their all in when they have the short stack, i will take their word on it unless I have the nut, or have a very very high chance of winning, and you know you did not really have an advantage here.

You would still have 1.4k rather than 800 and at a betting disadvantage when you have a premium hand, and you can get it back later when its to your favor. Thats a 1.2k difference if a all in is called when you have the nut. Why risk it?

Edit:
Actually the bet after the flop was way too much. You did trade chips spots with him just by folding.

Last edited:
P

ph_il

Silver Level
Total posts
Awards
Chips
call.

You already committed yourself to the pot. You're also getting 3 to 1 on your money and there is a good chance you have the best hand. Your opponent didnt show any strength preflop. I think at this point you have best hand. And if you didnt, the pot is too big to lay it down for just 600 more.

Opponent could have been holding a smaller A, a K, any PP lower than the board. Did the board pair suits to show a flush draw?

Last edited:
J

jeffred1111

Visionary
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
With two callers, the pot is about 1000 in chips right there, so a 775 is a 3/4 pot bet: I believe a smaller bet (1/2) would've been enough to "feel" the waters since like it is presentd, you don't have to price out any flush or straight draw (and a 1/2 bet prices out any 6 outs chasing). But this is a spot where I think we can safely presume that we will noy, get called by hands that have us beat (you raised in the SB and two people called, they gotta give you credit for an ace and they probably have one themselves, one that is probably stronger to call such a raise, I don't think a lowly King will reraise all-in at this level, but who knows).

You wanted to go to war with A7, you now gotta call with that very marginal hand (and pray you'Re not outkicked). This hand, for me at least, is a very, very, very instantenuous fold in the SB, especially with me having around 28bb. So yes it's a pretty hazardous play.