Not my normal play but..

Lo-Dog

Lo-Dog

Cardschat Elite
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
This is a $4 SnG 180 people. There have been a dozen hands and I have seen the flop twice. The hand before Money Costa made the same bet and I had crap so I folded. So this time I think about a call, but rather quickly decide that he is unlikely to have a pair better than mine. With someone still to act I still have some trouble working out the %'s.

Table '28452722 13' 9-max Seat #8 is the button
Seat 1: chowey420 (980 in chips)
Seat 2: LUCIFER777 (1350 in chips)
Seat 3: benelli987 (1590 in chips)
Seat 4: typhon123 (1440 in chips) is sitting out
Seat 5: Gethenet (1700 in chips)
Seat 6: Money Costa (2170 in chips)
Seat 7: vikes lose (1500 in chips) is sitting out
Seat 8: zomby freak (1430 in chips)
Seat 9: PLF_DBA_MAN (1340 in chips)
PLF_DBA_MAN: posts small blind 10
chowey420: posts big blind 20
*** HOLE CARDS ***
Dealt to PLF_DBA_MAN [Jd Jc]
LUCIFER777: folds
benelli987: folds
typhon123: folds
typhon123 has returned
Gethenet: folds
Money Costa: raises 580 to 600
vikes lose: folds
zomby freak: folds
PLF_DBA_MAN: raises 740 to 1340 and is all-in
chowey420: calls 960 and is all-in
Money Costa: calls 740

More to come...

twizzybop

twizzybop

Legend
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
4th best starting hand isn't a bad thing.. costa probably has some A in his hand and chowey is calling probably with some sooted crap cause he wants to double up quickly,

t1riel

t1riel

Legend
Silver Level
Total posts
Awards
Chips
Chances are your two opponents have an overcard or worse a higher pair. I probably wouldn't have gone all in with pocket Jacks, I would have just called. It's about less than half your stack. Then, make your decision after the flop. But, it's a decent hand to be all in with.

Lo-Dog

Lo-Dog

Cardschat Elite
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
Whoa, too many responses I better cut it off right here! lol:p

Thanks twizzy and t1 for your replies. Normally I would probably call and see what the flop brought but I have had the feeling lately that I am playing too tight and not taking any chances. I usually make the money in SnG's and MTT's but have trouble building a big stack (normally I am a bit above the average) so once I make the money its hard to deal with the big stacks. I have to find a happy medium I guess. Anyway here is what happened.

*** FLOP *** [Ks 5s 9c]
*** TURN *** [Ks 5s 9c] 3♣
*** RIVER *** [Ks 5s 9c 3c] 6♣
*** SHOW DOWN ***
PLF_DBA_MAN: shows [Jd Jc] (a pair of Jacks)
Money Costa: shows [Kc Ah] (a pair of Kings)
vikes lose has returned
Money Costa collected 720 from side pot
chowey420: shows [Kd Qc] (a pair of Kings - lower kicker)
Money Costa collected 2940 from main pot
*** SUMMARY ***
Total pot 3660 Main pot 2940. Side pot 720. | Rake 0
Board [Ks 5s 9c 3c 6c]
Seat 1: chowey420 (big blind) showed [Kd Qc] and lost with a pair of Kings
Seat 2: LUCIFER777 folded before Flop (didn't bet)
Seat 3: benelli987 folded before Flop (didn't bet)
Seat 4: typhon123 folded before Flop (didn't bet)
Seat 5: Gethenet folded before Flop (didn't bet)
Seat 6: Money Costa showed [Kc Ah] and won (3660) with a pair of Kings
Seat 7: vikes lose folded before Flop (didn't bet)
Seat 8: zomby freak (button) folded before Flop (didn't bet)
Seat 9: PLF_DBA_MAN (small blind) showed [Jd Jc] and lost with a pair of Jacks

Would have tripled my money but not to be this time. Any more suggestions on whether it is worth it to make this move to try and get a good size stack would be appreciated.

btw this is my worst finish ever, 160 out of 180 :mad:

withawedge

withawedge

Visionary
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
Did you not think that he may have had overcards here, even a bigger pair when he made the big raise. That said he went against most strats/logic making a bet this big when 4 callers are still behind him. Bit of a chancer etc etc but ..............................

Time was right here for a laydown (easier said than done - - wish i could do it sometimes lol)

Wait your time and then move in when you have a dynamite hand. Just pick up bits and pieces before the big move.

I see it was early in the tourney so way to risky imho

:withstupi

Bombjack

Bombjack

Legend
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
Another one of those "good move in a cash game but not so great in a tourney" situations!

You're slightly ahead of any 2 overcards but not by much, and that slight advantage is diminished by the chance he might actually have a bigger pair. You could call a raise with JJ and bet big if there aren't overcards on the flop, or you could go all-in pre-flop if you have your opponent covered AND you're not likely to get any other callers who have you covered. Against 2 callers you're probably not going to win the hand, and you don't want that to mean you're out of the tourney.

Some people just play JJ as they would 66 or 77, i.e. come in as cheap as possible and hope for trips, so fold to a big raise.

Last edited:
joosebuck

joosebuck

Legend
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
depends actually. if its a rebuy you might want to push like this and either trip up or rebuy. if not, fold and wait for a better opportunity like they said.