NOT A BAD BEAT, BAD DECISION, HELP ME

C

colombian800

Rising Star
Bronze Level
Total posts
Chips
alright guys obviously i played this like a moron but my question is what the RIGHT Play was.

Im in second position early in a single table $225 10 ppl tournament. Blinds are 25 and 50, the average stack is 1500 (what i have).

I raised after the player under the gun folded with AK hearts. Raise was to 250, i got one caller (he had about 1800 chips) and blinds fold.

FLOP: 6h 3s 3h

He bet 350, i called

Turn: 9s

He bets 350 I call.

River: 7c

Obviously i got nothing but his check showed weakness, and my raise before the flop coul mean a big pair, i went all in, after hesitating for a long time he called saying "im an idiot for calling i know you have pokets, good hand". Obviously he was surprised to win, his han was 6 4 unsuited....any opinions

shinedown.45

shinedown.45

Legend
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
You didn't do anything wrong, the other player was an idiot for calling your preflop raise with 4-6os, it's obvious that he probably didn't last too long in the tourney, so don't kick yourself

F

Freakakanus

Legend
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
Well maybe he was an idiot for calling the preflop raise with 6/4 off but what was OP doing just flat calling every street with nothing? Hoping to spike an Ace or King on the river? Besides what if villian had a 3 (people LOVE to slow play sets), or 2 hearts or 2 spades and was trying to complete a flush? (which I know didn't hit but it could have) Basically you had no idea where you stood in this hand by flat calling instead of raising on the flop. IMO that's where you went wrong in this hand.

mrsnake3695

mrsnake3695

I'm confused
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
AK is the most misplayed hand in holdem. You didn't hit the flop, you have no draw, villan said he had something when he called (although we now know he didn't). Fold, I see lots of people lose their whole stacks with ace king when nothing hits and then they move and someone calls with any pair and win, which is what happened here. Stop thinking AK is the nuts, it's a drawing hand, when you don't hit, get out, you will save alot of money in the long run just folding it if you don't hit the flop compared to the times a bet will chase out your opponent.

Let me ask one thing. Would you go all in there with a straight or flush draw, if not then why do it with just 2 over cards. With a flush draw you have 9 outs, open ended straight draw 8 outs, AK only 6 outs.

Stop over playing AK and you will be much better off long term.

K

keltelle

Rising Star
Bronze Level
Total posts
Chips
I agree with Freakakanus with the raise. If there is a pair that hits on the board you should be the one representing the trips with raises or Pretty much just to get a grasp of where you are in the hand with the raise. Just calling like you did HURT YOU !!! Then after the turn he would most probably check giving you the ability to look at the river for free. If he does not check, I wouldn't try drawing with your 6 outs.

ChuckTs

ChuckTs

Legend
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
alright guys obviously i played this like a moron but my question is what the RIGHT Play was.

Im in second position early in a single table $225 10 ppl tournament. Blinds are 25 and 50, the average stack is 1500 (what i have).

I raised after the player under the gun folded with AK hearts. Raise was to 250, i got one caller (he had about 1800 chips) and blinds fold.

FLOP: 6h 3s 3h

He bet 350, i called

Turn: 9s

He bets 350 I call.

River: 7c

Obviously i got nothing but his check showed weakness, and my raise before the flop coul mean a big pair, i went all in, after hesitating for a long time he called saying "im an idiot for calling i know you have pokets, good hand". Obviously he was surprised to win, his han was 6 4 unsuited....any opinions

You will get donkeys who call with weak hands like that. He had no business calling your EP raise with his holding, but you played post-flop just as poorly (no offense). You showed preflop strength, and now he's come out leading into you. He's showing he has you beat by betting into you, and you call with ace-high? Just dump it, and realize you're beat. If you're not dumping it, and want to bluff then raise him. Calling is the worst play here IMO.

C

colombian800

Rising Star
Bronze Level
Total posts
Chips
guys guys I played poorly i dont take offense to that but i did not just have AK, I had A K of hearts, someone mentionded the flush draw, I had the nutflush draw, it might have been dumb but i had a bunch of outs , 9 hearts, 3 kings, 3 aces,

O

OneMoreBust

Rock Star
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
Lol, the whole time I was reading responses I was like... hrm, he did have a nut flush draw the whole time...

What you did wrong was call, instead of re-rasiing him... you bet 250 pre-flop and he called, with 6 33 hitting you should have bet at him, or reraised him.... especially with then ut flush draw.... if he calls that raise then you have a fish on the line in case you catch a heart.

As far as you thinking the raise will cost you money? He bet flop, you called, he bet turn, you called..... Im willing to bet if you had raised his bet at you on the flop, if he had called, he would have checked to you on the turn... giving you a chance to take a free card to see if your flush hits before putting more money in..

so yeah, I would have played it differently, but I do see what you were after.

Bombjack

Bombjack

Legend
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
Go all-in on the flop, or at least a pot-sized raise (which is the same thing in this case...). With 15 outs you're the favourite, plus he'll probably fold.

D

Dingodaddy23

Rock Star
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
I see nothing wrong with villian's play and EVERYTHING is basically TERRIBLE with your play. Maybe him calling your raise with 6/4 unsuited was wrong because your stacks werent deep enough, but he accomplished exactly what he was trying to accomplish. Bust you. The thing is with a hand like 6/4 suited you pretty much know where you stand, you either hit the flop hard or you miss and fold. Much easier to play against an EP raise where you assume the raisor has a strong hand.

BTW, so you're check-calling this flop AND check-calling the turn on this non-threatening board? your hand is basically face up. A better line IMO is to bet 2/3 pot on the flop, and 3-bet all in if he raises. If he calls pot the turn, he'll HAVE to fold. Most of the players in a $215 aren't dumb and arent calling off their stack with middle pair no kicker in the early levels. As played, your river push SCREAMS busted flush draw.