NLHE: Scary board and opponents with big stacks

NoWuckingFurries

NoWuckingFurries

Legend
Silver Level
Total posts
Awards
Chips
Full Tilt No-Limit Hold'em Tournament, 200/400 Blinds 50 Ante (9 handed) - Full-Tilt Converter Tool from FlopTurnRiver.com

SB (t8654)
BB (t60367)
Hero (UTG) (t27061)
UTG+1 (t46233)
MP1 (t24977)
MP2 (t27845)
MP3 (t26751)
CO (t11489)
Button (t45707)

Hero's M: 25.77

Preflop: Hero is UTG with J
diamond.gif
, A
club.gif

Hero bets t800, 2 folds, MP2 calls t800, 2 folds, Button calls t800, 1 fold, BB raises to t3200, Hero calls t2400, MP2 calls t2400, Button calls t2400

Didn't have many reads because recently moved to table, but one person has similar stack size to me and two have much bigger stacks. Screenie attached to give rough idea of stats (shows situation AFTER hand in question).

Attachments

• CC big stacks 31st July 2010.JPG
    CC big stacks 31st July 2010.JPG
    62.3 KB · Views: 17
W

WiZZiM

Legend
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
Probably need a little more juice on your opening raise, considering we have an ante, somehitn garound 2.5x would be good. (i trialled min raising before during a tournament, and without antes it was "ok", but once the antes kick in, we need to up our bet size slightly)

I'm ok with the open UTG, but without reads, this guy is raising over a lot of action before him, This is a pretyt easy fold preflop, we still have two players behind us, we're sort of deep, but not deep enough to make this call.

What i want you to do is think about this. What type of hands would a normal player from the BB be raising with? And what type of hands do you want to hit on the flop to be comfortable with AJo?

Your HH ended at the preflop decision. Perhaps you need to check it again?

NoWuckingFurries

NoWuckingFurries

Legend
Silver Level
Total posts
Awards
Chips
Your HH ended at the preflop decision. Perhaps you need to check it again?
Yes, I felt afterwards that perhaps I should have folded at that point, just wanted to clarify whether others felt the same.

Thanks for the input so far.

NoWuckingFurries

NoWuckingFurries

Legend
Silver Level
Total posts
Awards
Chips
What i want you to do is think about this. What type of hands would a normal player from the BB be raising with? And what type of hands do you want to hit on the flop to be comfortable with AJo?
Everyone on this table except me and Wolfskull are betting on more hands than usual, one person has bet on every hand since I joined the table and others have bet on 50% of hands so far. It's a small sample of hands admittedly, but it gives an idea.

My guess would be that the BB could have any pocket pair, any suited connectors and anything from T9os upwards. With that many people in the pot I would want TPGK or better, so either a jack or an ace on the flop ideally. I would be very cautious of any flush or straight draws that might emerge.

W

WiZZiM

Legend
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
I highly doubt his range is going to be that wide. It's a micro, these people tend to call mostly, they will rarely ever reraise without a hand, especially since the action in front of him.

My approx range here would be something like AJs+ 88+ i could probably widen it a little, but that seems about right.

So basically i'm trying to get you to think about what happens after you call this bet.

Most of the time you miss completely. So you are going to be checking and then folding. That alone is very spewy.

Sometimes you will hit an ace, sometimes you will be outkicked, like AJ vs AQ+. Your going to be uncomfortable on most flops

Sometimes you will hit the ace and lower pairs will not pay you off. We may get paid off sometimes, but we lose value when the ace hits and lower pairs like jacks and such will fold.

So really to be safe here, you really need two pair. or a flopped straight. and they do not come around often enough to risk so much of your stack.

WVHillbilly

WVHillbilly

Legend
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
Just fold to the 3bet preflop.

WVHillbilly

WVHillbilly

Legend
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
Helpful. /sarcasm

It's completely and totally standard to fold AJ to a 3bet preflop, so therefor advice of just folding to the 3bet is certainly helpful. / helpful advice.