$ NL HE MTT: SB vs BB, I Trapped with AA with 10bb, and I got screwed.

Gritz18

Gritz18

To Cesar, what belongs to Cesar.
Loyaler
Total posts
Awards
BR
Chips
Game
Hold'em
Game Format
No Limit
Table Format
MTT
Freeroll
  1. Freeroll
Currency
$
This hand took place today in the $100 Cardschat freeroll at pokerstars.

I know it wasn't the right move to make, but both the villain and I had few chips, and I needed to double down to try to cash in, so I took the risk.

My strategy was to just call and if Villain went all-in it would be an easy call.

If villain just called, I would bet no matter the flop, and if he went all-in, I would definitely call, and that's what happened, but it backfired and I got screwed.😁🤣🤣

So I ask, what would you do in this situation?🤔

PokerStars, Hold'em No Limit - 300/600 (50 ante) - 7 players
Replay this hand on CardsChat

UTG: 27,926 (47 bb)
MP: 9,410 (16 bb)
MP+1: 2,886 (5 bb)
CO: 7,848 (13 bb)
BU: 7,382 (12 bb)
SB (Hero): 7,228 (12 bb)
BB: 7,810 (13 bb)

Pre-Flop:
(1,250) Hero is SB with A A
5 players fold, Hero calls 300, BB checks

Flop: (1,550) 2 K 3 (2 players)
Hero bets 775, BB raises to 7,160 (all-in), Hero calls 5,803 (all-in)

Turn:
(14,706) 8 (2 players, 2 all-in)

River: (14,706) 7 (2 players, 2 all-in)

Total pot: 14,706

Showdown:
BB shows 3 K (two pair, Kings and Threes)
(Equity - Pre-Flop: 11%, Flop: 73%, Turn: 82%, River: 100%)

SB (Hero) shows A A (a pair of Aces)
(Equity - Pre-Flop: 89%, Flop: 27%, Turn: 18%, River: 0%)

BB wins 14,706

kunkgreen

kunkgreen

Legend
Platinum Level
Total posts
Awards
BR
Chips
One of the situations where we can trap would be in a situation like this... although it will happen sometimes (losing the way it was), I believe that you will be ahead the vast majority of the time and would still receive the same move if the villain had hit top pair (or good draws). Not much to change unless you had some specific information that villain defended bigblind with a very wide range or with most hands, so you could have raised pre-flop.

I even believe that only with the call we could induce the villain to shove some bad hands from the edge of his range like A2, A3, K2-4... I personally hate making slow moves because I don't like losing that way... In the last few For weeks I've taken this slow position so much that I've been reviewing my concept of doing it.

pep12343

pep12343

Rock Star
Platinum Level
Total posts
Awards
AR
Chips
Hello, I don't think you played your hand wrong. Although it's not the way I would play it, considering the stack of chips of both (below 20 blinds), and the position you are in (knowing that everyone has retired). You can get the value out of your hand, but by simply putting 1.5 blinds for example or 2 you ensure that your rival has high cards (KQ-KJ-JQ-10J-, even any pair of hands, and others), often because of the importance of the hand and the pressure to enter prizes. Many players will be faced with 2 options (they have more but there are 2 feasible).
1) all in preflop (this is what you want with an AA)
2) fold (it's not desirable but you avoid going with bad hands from which you would hardly get the courage).
It's worth clarifying that obviously everything varies with luck, but I think this would be a better way to play the hand, avoid cards like your opponent's and close it closer to a rank where he has high cards and you can get value out of his hand.

Hospedar

Hospedar

Rock Star
Platinum Level
Total posts
Awards
BR
Chips
This hand took place today in the $100 Cardschat freeroll at pokerstars.

I know it wasn't the right move to make, but both the villain and I had few chips, and I needed to double down to try to cash in, so I took the risk.

My strategy was to just call and if Villain went all-in it would be an easy call.

If villain just called, I would bet no matter the flop, and if he went all-in, I would definitely call, and that's what happened, but it backfired and I got screwed.😁🤣🤣

So I ask, what would you do in this situation?🤔

PokerStars, Hold'em No Limit - 300/600 (50 ante) - 7 players
Replay this hand on CardsChat

UTG: 27,926 (47 bb)
MP: 9,410 (16 bb)
MP+1: 2,886 (5 bb)
CO: 7,848 (13 bb)
BU: 7,382 (12 bb)
SB (Hero): 7,228 (12 bb)
BB: 7,810 (13 bb)

Pre-Flop:
(1,250) Hero is SB with A A
5 players fold, Hero calls 300, BB checks

Flop: (1,550) 2 K 3 (2 players)
Hero bets 775, BB raises to 7,160 (all-in), Hero calls 5,803 (all-in)

Turn:
(14,706) 8 (2 players, 2 all-in)

River: (14,706) 7 (2 players, 2 all-in)

Total pot: 14,706

Showdown:
BB shows 3 K (two pair, Kings and Threes)
(Equity - Pre-Flop: 11%, Flop: 73%, Turn: 82%, River: 100%)

SB (Hero) shows A A (a pair of Aces)
(Equity - Pre-Flop: 89%, Flop: 27%, Turn: 18%, River: 0%)

BB wins 14,706

What a bad luck you had today, man.

Anyway, as you, I was bad beated today, but at the 888poker freeroll. A guy putted all-in at the UTG with a 33 (≈32bb) and I gone with him with a KK (≈57bb). He made a three of a kind with the first card of the flop 🤡. Obviously, I lost and this made me get out of the tournament a few minutes later...

It's hard to analyze if you did the best movement at the pre-flop and, also, at the flop without a software. But I probably wouldn't do a different action at the flop (I would lost, as you).

But, at the flop I would think in two things...

- 1st: As Hero was with 12bb and Villain with 13bb (remember: I don't know the other conditions of the tournament), I could shove there. Because this is a good way double my stack.

He could call with a low equity hand (you would lost today, but if you do the same thing against him tomorrow...) or he could fold and give you more 2bb approximately (low pot, but you were low stack too).

Reasons for his calling:

+ He could think that a K would be a good high card to play against you.
+ he could think that you were trying to steal his blind and, then, think at the reason above.

- 2nd: At the same conditions, I think that I would try to raise to 2bb and wait him to call or shove me. After this, I would do the same thing that you did at the real flop.

What happened with you today is the same thing that give me nightmares everyday: limp call against the BB...

When you do this, you are risking your blinds in a blinded gameplay (as you don't have any idea if he has something valuable at the flop, turn and/or river). And when he checked the pre-flop, you raised at the flop and he gone with all-in, he was saying something to you:

- 1st: If he was bluffing a lot, you could call, clearly.
- 2nd: If he was playing very tight, you needed to think more. Like: "I'm in a blind gameplay, he can, literally have anything with him, except my own cards. So, would he shove me only with a (top) pair at the flop after I raised against him?".

It's very hard to think in everything that I said now when you are in the table and, also, is very hard to fold an AA at a head's up gameplay. But this is something to think after the table, don't you agree?

Try to put this hand at the GTO, please

I would like to say that I understand that you tried to not scare him at the beginning, and this was not a really bad idea, at my perspective. Good try...

Again: I think that you just had a bad luck today. Get your head up and move on! 💪

F

fundiver199

Legend
Loyaler
Total posts
Awards
Chips
Preflop
With 12BB we can have a limping range from SB, so this play is completely fine, especially in BB is an aggressive player, who will raise or jam a lot when limped to.

Flop
C-betting is fine, and we are not limping AA with 12BB to fold on the flop, unless maybe its the worst possible flop like 987 all spades, and we have red aces. On a board of K32 he can have all the two pair, since you limped, but he can also have all the other KX hands except maybe the strongest ones, that he would likely have raised. Or he can have a flushdraw or straightdraw or random bluff. So as played we call it off and hope to win. Even againt two pair you are not drawing dead. An A, 2 or another 8 on the river would have given you the winning hand, which if I remember correctly is around 28% equity.

Gritz18

Gritz18

To Cesar, what belongs to Cesar.
Loyaler
Total posts
Awards
BR
Chips
Preflop
With 12BB we can have a limping range from SB, so this play is completely fine, especially in BB is an aggressive player, who will raise or jam a lot when limped to.
That's exactly what I thought at the time, I already knew the villain and knew he could put me all-in, knowing his history, but I think that because he knew me too, maybe he played more carefully.

F

fundiver199

Legend
Loyaler
Total posts
Awards
Chips
That's exactly what I thought at the time, I already knew the villain and knew he could put me all-in, knowing his history, but I think that because he knew me too, maybe he played more carefully.
It is, what it is. Slowplaying or "setting the trap" will sometimes backfire, but that does not mean, it was a bad decision. Today in an MTT I raised KK preflop and got called by a 70% VPIP maniac on BTN. Flop came QQ3 rainbow, and I decided to check to him and basically use my hand as a bluffcatcher. He bet relatively small on all 3 streets, and at showdown he flipped over two low cards, which had backed into a flush. So he had like 5% equity on the flop, 22% on the turn and then 100% on the river. Kind of annoying, but it still does not mean, it would have been better to bet the flop and give him an easy fold with a hand, that was a 20:1 dog.