Table Format
MTT
Freeroll
  1. Freeroll
Game Options
  1. Turbo
Currency
$
So I raised in the cut off to 2BB (16BB) with A7o and the button and the SB calls.
Flop: 4h 4d Kc
I c-bet (2.5BB) (maybe too agressive). Button calls, SB folds.
Turn: 6h
Goes check check.
River: Ad
I bet like third pot and the button goes all in.
So I called thinking in worst case we chop but he has KK.
Where did I go wrong? I'm here to learn so please tell me (I'm just starting out so if my thinking process is bad just tell me)
Thanks

Fofa

Fofa

Rock Star
Platinum Level
Total posts
Awards
BR
Chips
  1. Pre-Flop and Flop: Raising from the cutoff with A7o is a standard play, and your continuation bet on the flop was okay, although you could have used a smaller sizing given your hand strength.
  2. Turn: Checking on the turn with a weak hand like A7o is a good decision. You didn't want to inflate the pot with a hand that wasn't strong.
  3. River: Betting a third of the pot on the river is a reasonable value bet with top pair. However, when your opponent went all-in, you faced a tough decision.
The key mistake was not giving enough thought to your opponent's likely range. When your opponent shoved all-in on the river, they were representing a very strong hand. Given the board (4h 4d Kc 6h Ad), hands like KK, AK, or even a busted flush draw were all possible.

A

aronbarnkopf

Rising Star
Bronze Level
Total posts
HU
Chips
I was ruling those out because I assumed he would likely 3-bet those preflope. Of course he can trap because he wants action but in freerolls I don't see any of that.

300HPGOD

Legend
Platinum Level
Total posts
Awards
Chips
Im deducing from your post that you started the hand with 16 BBs. Opening A7 from CO is correct mostly but what are the stacks of the players behind us and what do we think about their push/fold skills? I mean by that do we think they are someone who never jams less than A10 or would they be jamming all Ax, some Kx, etc. if they are sitting in the blinds with 8 or 9 BBs. We have to be thinking about those things before we open and those are not mentioned in this post. You say you are just starting out so thats why I mention that on paper that A7o from the CO is an open but we always to think of and beware of our surroundings.

As far as the hand goes. Flop is dry and we have showdown value with ace high so we dont have to bet there. With that said, we can take the pot here a decent amount of the time by betting since it is dry and at least button should not have 4x depending on their stack. SB is wide so they could have it but since wider they will/should also be folding more frequently as well. So I dont mind betting here but I would be making the bet to get folds so actually in a pot that is probably 8-8.5BBs counting the antes, I like betting 3.5 to 4 BBs to get some fold equity.

Turn: we get called on flop so if I am right about your starting stack we have about a pot sized bet left give or take. From here I would check as well and hope we get a check behind as we wind up getting. Villain, I know its a freeroll but still, should know now you dont have many or any Kx other than KK yourself as you would not be checking with the board getting a little wetter and having so few chips because you would be still looking to get value from a hand that you thought was best.

River: we get the ace but with villain checking behind I am not sure how many Kx they would have (didnt think they had KK either) so I would be thinking what can I get called by with worse here. Since we chop all the Ax I am not sure there are any worse hands that call here except from some call station which this villain could be but I dont know them and hopefully you had some bead on how they played. I would advise checking here or jamming here. Checking to induce a bluff or jamming to make it look like you were bluffing. Villain dependent on what you think they have a better chance of doing from either betting large if you check to them or calling what they could interpret as a bluff. As played I dont like 1/3rd sizing and we get jammed on. Dont think any Kx does this (again was discounting/eliminated KK) so I would think this was Ax, 66 or a bluff and with a pot sized bet left going to the river and already betting 1/3rd pot, I would never be folding to this and if they had me beat then they had me beat.

F

fundiver199

Legend
Loyaler
Total posts
Awards
Chips
Preflop
Standard open, and the intention is to fold to a 3-bet, unless the 3-bettor is very short like <10BB. The main property of this hand is, that it block the reshove ranges.

Flop
This was a pretty good flop for your range, but on the other side you got called by two players, and none of them were BB. And for that reason you are not supposed to be C-betting your entire range here, and A7o has very little going for it. So I think, this is a hand, which you want to check and basically hope, button checks behind. And if he bets, probably just let him have it. BTN also needs to worry about SB, who naturally checked to you, so its not like, he can bluff himself to high heaven here.

Turn
This is the problem with C-betting to wide, when you are out of position. Now you are stuck with basically nothing, around a pot sized bet left, and no profitable plan other than to check-fold. But luckily he check back.

River
You improve to top pair, and because of the K44-6-A board you chop with any other Ax apart from AK, A6 and A4. If I calculated it correctly, you have a bit under a pot sized bet left (pot of 12,5BB, stack of 11,5BB). So the question is, how do we best get paid here? First of all there are no busted draws, so checking to him likely dont induce a lot of bluffs. But if you jam, your hand is kind of obvious, and it is at least possible, that he find a fold with hands like K9s or 77. Which should be most of his range after calling you on the flop and checking back turn.

So I do think, its sort of ok to go for a small block bet here, but because you are so short, I would probably size it down even more. When he jam, its weird, and he should not be floating you on the flop with to many A high, because he was not closing action, and stacks were so short, that he had little room to maneuver later. So I dont think, its that likely to be a chop. But you are getting better than 3:1, and it could be a chop. So even though I am not loving the spot, I cant see myself folding either.

Results
So he was slowplaying top boat, and it worked out perfectly for him, since the river card allowed you to catch up to a second best hand. Spots like these are always annoying, but I dont think, you did anything really wrong here, other than C-betting the flop.

puzzlefish

puzzlefish

student of the donk arts
Loyaler
Total posts
Awards
CA
Chips
I don't have much to add that others haven't said already, except that with A7o you are probably better off just waiting for a better hand instead of getting into sticky situations like this. You already have a relatively small stack size and getting involved in a hand will most often get you pot committed very quickly. Rather than flying out on a weak ace, pick something a little stronger and play more aggressively.

F

fundiver199

Legend
Loyaler
Total posts
Awards
Chips
I don't have much to add that others haven't said already, except that with A7o you are probably better off just waiting for a better hand instead of getting into sticky situations like this.
Or just be done with the hand, when BTN and SB both cold call, and you miss the flop completely. Then Hero would have 14BB left and be able to play push-fold going forward. With that being said if BTN did a lot of cold calling, it would be reasonable to tighten up and only open a hand like A7o from BTN. We really dont want to have to play that kind of hand out of position with a short stack, since it gets us into a lot of sticky spots.

G0930

G0930

Captain Fathermucker, Satty Aficionado
Loyaler
Total posts
Awards
AT
Chips
I was ruling those out because I assumed he would likely 3-bet those preflope. Of course he can trap because he wants action but in freerolls I don't see any of that.
Happens more often in CC games so get used to it :)

G0930

G0930

Captain Fathermucker, Satty Aficionado
Loyaler
Total posts
Awards
AT
Chips
Never said it was a bad play:)
Actually its not a bad play by BTN to flat KK here with 16BB effective. Especially if the players in the blinds were aggressive 3-bettors and had reshove stacks of 25BB or less. Then its pretty cool to flat KK here and let them move in with a lot of dominated hands, they would have easily folded if facing a 3-bet in front of them. And if nobody squeeze, KK is pretty easy to play in position with a low SPR on most flops. He could also 3-bet, but a 16BB jam gives him more fold equity, than we ideally want with KK. And he cant really 3-bet to a size, which does not obviously commit him against Hero.

F

feisas7991

Rock Star
Silver Level
Total posts
Awards
Chips
bet smaller on the flop
bomb river anything over 75% pot.
Good Luck!

okok since you said you want to learn we bet small with majority of our range
ott we just give up sicne he says he has a pair or Ax so its both too hard to fold out hands and also too difficult to get value.
on the river we put him on Kx and Ax and at heavily discounted 4x range since he would raise it otf decent amount and/or lead at some frequency turns.
yes our kicker isnt great, but we want to milk him hard there.

Hope this helps and Good Luck!

edit try to overfold rivers as much as you can, generally speaking there are almost no bluffs in such lines

eetenor

eetenor

Legend
Platinum Level
Total posts
Awards
Chips
So I raised in the cut off to 2BB (16BB) with A7o and the button and the SB calls.
Flop: 4h 4d Kc
I c-bet (2.5BB) (maybe too agressive). Button calls, SB folds.
Turn: 6h
Goes check check.
River: Ad
I bet like third pot and the button goes all in.
So I called thinking in worst case we chop but he has KK.
Where did I go wrong? I'm here to learn so please tell me (I'm just starting out so if my thinking process is bad just tell me)
Thanks
When we work with solvers we learn heuristics here are several that will help you when playing in freerolls and micro stakes

1 fold off suit hands more often than suited hands in most positions including the CO
2 play connected off suit hands A5-A2 is better EQR hand than A7
3 multi way we do not bet the middle of our range we bet polar- so we check 60% of range- A7 is middle of range on this board
4 when we open we have to understand stack to pot ratio and how that effects our actions on further streets
5 We want to ask on river do we have enough value targets to make us want to bet

On this river when the A hits we tie all Ax hands so we are targeting a Kx hand or worse that did not bet turn but would call river when an ace hits That is a very narrow value target range and we have very few natural bluffs that would have us bet 1/3 in that spot

:unsure::geek: