Game Format
No Limit
Table Format
MTT
Freeroll
  1. Freeroll
Currency
$
This hand took place yesterday in the Cardschat $100 freeroll on GGPoker.

I know some will say yes, it could be escaped, but let's not forget that this is a freeroll and the villain could be making this move with multiple hands.

What is your analysis, could you escape?🤔

Thank you Cesar🙂

GGPoker, Hold'em No Limit - 100/200 (20 ante) - 8 players
Replay this hand on CardsChat

UTG: 8,031 (40 bb)
UTG+1: 16,021 (80 bb)
MP (Hero): 13,304 (67 bb)
MP+1: 6,426 (32 bb)
CO: 11,301 (57 bb)
BU: 9,304 (47 bb)
SB: 3,609 (18 bb)
BB: 23,315 (117 bb)

Pre-Flop:
(460) Hero is MP with A Q
UTG calls 200, 1 fold, Hero raises to 974, 4 players fold, BB 3-bets to 3,382, 1 fold, Hero calls 2,408

Flop:
(7,224) K Q A (2 players)
BB bets 3,612, Hero raises to 9,902 (all-in), BB calls 6,290

Turn: (27,028) 7 (2 players, 1 all-in)

River: (27,028) 5 (2 players, 1 all-in)

Total pot: 27,028

Showdown:
MP (Hero) shows A Q (two pair, Aces and Queens)
(Equity - Pre-Flop: 8%, Flop: 1%, Turn: 0%, River: 0%)

BB shows A A (three of a kind, Aces)
(Equity - Pre-Flop: 92%, Flop: 99%, Turn: 100%, River: 100%)

BB wins 27,028

rhoudini

rhoudini

Rock Star
Platinum Level
Total posts
Awards
BR
Chips
Hey Gritz! How are you doing?
I believe you played ok considering it is a freeroll. However, it is a risky spot, and if you call, you have to accept that the chances of losing are quite high.

I would have raised a bit less, maybe just 3.5 BB or 4 BB initially, but I don't know if you had some read on the guy who limped before you, and you tried to isolate and extract the maximum value, therefore I don't find it a mistake.

In regard to the flop play, as it is a freeroll, I think you don't necessarily made a mistake, but I also don't think you made the best play.
If we are going to invest some chips, it seems better to just call on the flop. You are in position, use this this advantage on the turn. At this point, the ideal would be check down and get a cheap showdown as possible, hoping he has just a pair or a busted draw.
I think that a call is fine in a freeroll, in which players are crazier. But remember that most part of freerollers/micro players almost don't have a 3-bet light range, therefore we should consider their 3-bet to be strong most part of the time.

When you shove, ok, you might get away if he has weaker aces like AT or A9 with no hearts, but I think that most part of the time you will be called by stronger hands, specially sets (though you block AA and QQ, they become more unlikely, despite still possible), or a monster straight flush draw. If you had the A♥ things would be more interesting, because you would remove some combos he hould call your jam with, like A♥J♥ or A♥10♥, for example.

Canaldo Kao

Canaldo Kao

Visionary
Platinum Level
Total posts
Awards
BR
Chips
I watched this hand several times, I don't see any escape, they both played very well but someone has to win!:eek:👏

Gritz18

Gritz18

To Cesar, what belongs to Cesar.
Loyaler
Total posts
Awards
BR
Chips
I would have raised a bit less, maybe just 3.5 BB or 4 BB initially, but I don't know if you had some read on the guy who limped before you, and you tried to isolate and extract the maximum value, therefore I don't find it a mistake.
In fact, they limp a lot, and the AA villain was one of them who cleaned and paid a lot, I was unlucky because in that hand he came out with a strong hand.

F

fundiver199

Legend
Loyaler
Total posts
Awards
Chips
Actualy is an easy fold preflop...
Exactly. I dont think, there are many light 3-bets in BBs range, and because Hero raised so large, the 3-bet also came in very large, which makes it difficult to get away postflop, when we hit a piece of the board. And on this board, even though we made two pair, we still lose to AK, QQ, KK and AA, which is most of his 3-betting range.

300HPGOD

Legend
Platinum Level
Total posts
Awards
Chips
I agree with with the above that this should be a fold. We can make scenarios where it isnt a fold based on some maniac that we know is a maniac but even then we would still be getting 65 BBs in with AQ off which is too deep imo. This call is 1/4th our stack so usually I would not be calling for 1/4th, it would be a fold or a jam.

Sounds like you did not know villain but just thought since its a freeroll that they could be doing this wide and I dont see it. You go large with your raise which was previously pointed out and then they go large over that. I dont think this is ever 75 off here even in a freeroll unless I know they are a maniac and have proved that to me. Even if its 98 suited (which I would also doubt) you are 58% which is not bad but do we want to be calling off or jamming when we think 58% equity is the top (its good for against an entire range but not for the peak equity) of our equity potential? Other than that, we would be hoping villain is doing this with AJ or A10 which is possible but that is such a sliver of their range especially with an ace blocker.

Gritz18

Gritz18

To Cesar, what belongs to Cesar.
Loyaler
Total posts
Awards
BR
Chips
Sounds like you did not know villain but just thought since its a freeroll
I already had the villain at the table for several rounds, and he limped a lot and when someone raised he called.

I'm not trying to say that my decision was completely correct, but in poker we have to take some risks, especially when it comes to a freeroll.

F

fundiver199

Legend
Loyaler
Total posts
Awards
Chips
I already had the villain at the table for several rounds, and he limped a lot and when someone raised he called.
Ok but then why did he decide to 3-bet this time? If someone is usually taking a lot of passive action, it should be a red flag, when they suddenly change gear and become aggressive.
I'm not trying to say that my decision was completely correct, but in poker we have to take some risks, especially when it comes to a freeroll.
In a freeroll its completely fine to take some slightly negative EV spots and go for a "go strong or go home" approach. But if that was, what you were doing, then there is no need to share the hand and ask for strategic advice ;)

Starting Hands - Poker Hand Nicknames Rankings - Poker Hands