Table Format
MTT
Freeroll
  1. Freeroll
Currency
$
CO stats 59 hands played: VPIP 56 PFR 3 Limp 57
BB stats 73 hands played: VPIP 14 PFR 12 Limp 2

Do you think that folding here is wrong? Should I just shoved?

pokerstars, Hold'em No Limit - 75/150 - 7 players
Replay this hand on CardsChat

UTG: 3,472 (23 bb)
MP: 2,475 (17 bb)
MP+1: 8,468 (56 bb)
CO: 8,647 (58 bb)
BU: 2,295 (15 bb)
SB (Hero): 2,522 (17 bb)
BB: 5,726 (38 bb)

Pre-Flop: (225) Hero is SB with 8 9
3 players fold, CO calls 150, 1 fold, Hero calls 75, BB checks

Flop: (450) 9 Q 8 (3 players)
Hero bets 221, BB calls 221, CO raises to 1,334, SB (Hero) folds, BB calls 1,113

Turn: (3,339) A (2 players)
BB checks, CO bets 1,670, BB calls 1,670

River: (6,679) 6 (2 players)
BB checks, CO bets 2,700, BB folds

F

fundiver199

Legend
Loyaler
Total posts
Awards
Chips
Preflop
Completing with a suited connector is certainly fine and standard.

Flop
Leading out is fine, since its a multiway limped pot, and your hand is strong but vulnerable. However I think, that when you bet-fold, you are giving CO waaaaaay to much credit for only raising, when he have 2 pair or better. Which is of course not a range, you are doing well against, since you have bottom two pair, and a flopped straight is possible.

But I just dont think, we can narrow his range down that much. I think, he can be raising a ton of hands, you are ahead of. Like a pair + gutshot, top pair good kicker or a flushdraw. Or even an overpair, which he slowplayed preflop and now he think, he is springing the trap. If you were much deeper, then I would call and look to play some later streets. But since a call would put more than half your stack in the middle, I would get it in and be done.

eetenor

eetenor

Legend
Platinum Level
Total posts
Awards
Chips
CO stats 59 hands played: VPIP 56 PFR 3 Limp 57
BB stats 73 hands played: VPIP 14 PFR 12 Limp 2

Do you think that folding here is wrong? Should I just shoved?

PokerStars, Hold'em No Limit - 75/150 - 7 players
Replay this hand on CardsChat

UTG: 3,472 (23 bb)
MP: 2,475 (17 bb)
MP+1: 8,468 (56 bb)
CO: 8,647 (58 bb)
BU: 2,295 (15 bb)
SB (Hero): 2,522 (17 bb)
BB: 5,726 (38 bb)

Pre-Flop: (225) Hero is SB with 8 9
3 players fold, CO calls 150, 1 fold, Hero calls 75, BB checks

Flop: (450) 9 Q 8 (3 players)
Hero bets 221, BB calls 221, CO raises to 1,334, SB (Hero) folds, BB calls 1,113

Turn: (3,339) A (2 players)
BB checks, CO bets 1,670, BB calls 1,670

River: (6,679) 6 (2 players)
BB checks, CO bets 2,700, BB folds
We want to preplan hands so before we take any action we want to know what we will do when we have to take the next action-Preplanning is a skill we can learn by taking these hands and practicing our preplan skills

Step one------ stack size awareness- we have 17bb's this means we are very limited to the # of actions we can take-
Preflop we have too cards that often flop a draw or low pair with 17bb's realizing full equity will be difficult therefore when we call we know to continue we have to make a big hand 2 pair plus -or have a big draw flush and straight draws or flush and pair
We are already thinking about are we going to go with the hand post flop because we only have two streets of full size betting.

If you take the time to practice preplanning at least one action beyond the immediate action it will help clarify the interaction between your next action and further actions

300HPGOD

Legend
Platinum Level
Total posts
Awards
Chips
Our stack size is critical here as we start with 17 BBs. With that small a stack I am looking for a reason to get in especially if my 17 BB stack is below average are nowhere near the bubble or an ICM spot. In this case we flop bottom two on a wet board so leading is good here and recommended. I think I might lead for more since we can get a lot of draws and Qx to be involved and at least call. I am not planning on folding this starting at 17 BBs so I would be betting here as you did with the intention of jamming over any raise I got of any sizing. So to me, as soon as we get raised here I would basically be snap jamming. I understand that we could be up against a better hand here but we also could be ahead. With the small stack sizing being the biggest driver in this hand I just dont think you can fold a hand as good as bottom two pair when you are this small a stack and based on the table, one of the smaller stacks probably in the tourney. If we were deeper then this would be a tougher spot since we can be up against it and lose a whole lot more when we are wrong but with 17 BBs our concern for losing diminishes and we are more concerned with trying to stack up.

F

fundiver199

Legend
Loyaler
Total posts
Awards
Chips
With that small a stack I am looking for a reason to get in especially if my 17 BB stack is below average are nowhere near the bubble or an ICM spot.
Which is clearly the case here, since the starting stack of this tournament is 3.000 chips, and Hero dont even have that. He is also playing against someone, who is playing more than half the deck, and he flopped bottom two pair. If the opponent has one of the extremely few hands, that beat that, or if he somehow gets there, then good for him. Here is our chips and see you in the next freeroll sir :)

F

feisas7991

Rock Star
Silver Level
Total posts
Awards
Chips
xr/ x jam (depending on sizing) on the flop is prefered line on this board imo. unblocking Qx which would always bet most likely.
Hope this helps and Good Luck!

Matt_Burns88

Matt_Burns88

Legend
Loyaler
Total posts
Awards
GB
Chips
Completing pre-flop here is absolutely fine. Personally, I'm not a fan of the lead, but it's not bad either. I would prefer a check / shove. But we absolutely cannot lead / fold 2 pair at 17bb deep unless there is some serious ICM considerations going on, which I'm guessing at 75/150 there isn't.

Something you should try when posting your thoughts before you get responses. Articulating your thought process and whether you think you made a mistake is a huge part of learning the game.

Why did you call pre-flop? (Or better, what range of hands are you calling with?)
What does villains range look like?
What hands are you expecting to get to call/fold if you lead?
What does villains range look like when they call/raise?
If you check and they bet, what hands are you continuing/folding with?
If you lead and they raise, what hands are you continuing/folding with?

mariussica88

mariussica88

Legend
Platinum Level
Total posts
Awards
RO
Chips
Thank you all for feedback. I do think I made a mistake there, even when I was reviewing my tournament hands I noticed/marked this hand as a mistake. Against a player that loose I should shove this flop after he raised me. :oops: