Nice hand or not?

1sunchin

1sunchin

Legend
Silver Level
Total posts
Awards
Chips
Today, in a freeroll on the PS CC FRC, I made a push with QQ and received a call 44 from an opponent with a stack twice as large as mine. I won and the opponent in the chat wrote NH, I answered Y2. I meant that the opponent considered his 44 a good enough hand against my push range and that I would have done the same as him. However, the opponent was offended by my answer and wrote that writing NH about the losing hand is an insult. I tried to explain how I wrote above, but the opponent wrote that in a live game I would get a punch for such words. Then I apologized and our conversation stopped. But I have a question for the CC members - which of us is right - is it possible to talk (write in the chat) NH to the losing opponent, if he had a really good hand, but he was unlucky? As an example, I give the hand with which I was eliminated from this tournament (villain push allin on flop and I call).
Nh

abgvedr

abgvedr

Legend
Bronze Level
Total posts
Chips
Yeah i think you were totally right. Like if he shoves some pair and you call with much beter hand and say 'NH' that could be mocking, but if you just responding then its different. Perhaps you could add some 'Sorry' or 'That was unfortunate' but overall i dont see much reason for him to get offended.

Delenia

Delenia

Community Guide
Community Guide
Total posts
Awards
US
Chips
It doesn't sound to me like you did anything wrong. There isn't much chatting in most of the games I play. But we chat a lot in the ladies league and we often tell the loser NH or NHs (to both players) and I have never seen anyone say they were offended. It seems like the courteous thing to do. :)

Emily Trott

Emily Trott

Legend
Loyaler
Total posts
Awards
US
Chips
I would say no. If the person says "nice hand" to you, the proper response is "thank you". In person you might get away with complimenting the losers hand because facial expression, body language, and tone will come into play. Online is very impersonal and what is meant to be a nice gesture can very easily be taken as an insult. Believe me I've had that happen to me many times in the cyber world.

abgvedr

abgvedr

Legend
Bronze Level
Total posts
Chips
And you bought that gun so noone mess with you :)
Just kidding, it's a good point of yours.
I would say no. If the person says "nice hand" to you, the proper response is "thank you". In person you might get away with complimenting the losers hand because facial expression, body language, and tone will come into play. Online is very impersonal and what is meant to be a nice gesture can very easily be taken as an insult. Believe me I've had that happen to me many times in the cyber world.

FoxMS

FoxMS

Visionary
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
I definitely do not think a pair of fours is a good hand. :D
But I also see no reason to be offended. In general, I think that taking offense in a game like poker is absolute nonsense and pathology. :)

Navin Sarabjeet

Navin Sarabjeet

Legend
Bronze Level
Total posts
Awards
SR
Chips
Today, in a freeroll on the PS CC FRC, I made a push with QQ and received a call 44 from an opponent with a stack twice as large as mine. I won and the opponent in the chat wrote NH, I answered Y2. I meant that the opponent considered his 44 a good enough hand against my push range and that I would have done the same as him. However, the opponent was offended by my answer and wrote that writing NH about the losing hand is an insult. I tried to explain how I wrote above, but the opponent wrote that in a live game I would get a punch for such words. Then I apologized and our conversation stopped. But I have a question for the CC members - which of us is right - is it possible to talk (write in the chat) NH to the losing opponent, if he had a really good hand, but he was unlucky? As an example, I give the hand with which I was eliminated from this tournament (villain push allin on flop and I call).
View attachment 293888

If he feels offended its his/her problem.
Even if they call my allin with j6o I will still say NH.
Doesn't matter of they call with junk or premium I will still say the same.

Don't worry about it bro. Some people are just sore losers.
Just tell the dealer " Shuffle up and deal":D:D:D

fang215874

fang215874

Rock Star
Platinum Level
Total posts
Chips
I think that first of all it is necessary to be guided by the rules of the Room and the game itself. It is also possible by the legislation of the country in which you play. If you do not violate them, then you can write. Recently, the world has become too tolerant to everything and not conscientious people have begun to use it. In this situation, I personally do not see anything for which it would be possible to receive physical damage from a stranger. Probably just your opponent with a low level of intelligence, if he is ready to beat other people for trying to talk to them. Don't get upset and send him a dickpick on Instagram. )

F

fundiver199

Legend
Loyaler
Total posts
Awards
Chips
I tend to agree with your opponent, that saying "nice hand" or in this case "you to" to someone, who just lost, is a needle. Which I actually do sometimes to try and tilt my opponents. I would not do this in a CC freeroll though, because the rules for these layed out by CC specifically say, we are supposed to be nice to each other. But in normal games, where I put my own money at risk, then as far as I am concerned, anything, which is not a violation of the TOS of the poker site, goes, and that also includes sometimes being a dick in the chat :D

Ashley Sleeth

Ashley Sleeth

Professional Poker Player
Silver Level
Total posts
Awards
Chips
It's unfortunate that your opponent got so tilted that they didn't try to understand where you were coming from. But in general, if somebody says 'nice hand' and you want to respond, you can just say 'thank you' and move on. If it's a cooler or something, sometimes I'll say 'unlucky' to show that I would have lost the same amount in their shoes :)

AKQ

AKQ

Legend
Bronze Level
Total posts
Awards
Chips
i WOULD POLITELY WRITE
"Go fu#$ youself u stup^D bi#%^
Suck my hai#$ B####% you co%$$hor#
hold my b@lls when my D%$% in your m##$th

then I'd go get me some coffee

theANMATOR

theANMATOR

Legend
Bronze Level
Total posts
Awards
Chips
View attachment 293888

I tend to agree with your opponent, that saying "nice hand" or in this case "you to" to someone, who just lost, is a needle. Which I actually do sometimes to try and tilt my opponents. I would not do this in a CC freeroll though, because the rules for these layed out by CC specifically say, we are supposed to be nice to each other. But in normal games, where I put my own money at risk, then as far as I am concerned, anything, which is not a violation of the TOS of the poker site, goes, and that also includes sometimes being a dick in the chat :D

Sounds to me like you have found a button - that can be used versus this specific opponent. We don't lay down our sword and take off our armor just because we see our opponent walking up to us in a loin cloth and a small knife.
Use the tools you have - and the edges you have gained - in paid for events.

Unfortunately this is in a CC freeroll, however it is possible you may encounter this player in other events, and that is the time when you can needle the heck outta him.
I'd go as far as to compliment all the opponents he loses hands to, and make a point to tell him nice hand every time he lost a hand vs me. Sure fire way to get those chips from an off kilter opponent.

Starting Hands - Poker Hand Nicknames Rankings - Poker Hands