MTT on PS, First Level, River action?

slycbnew

slycbnew

Cardschat Elite
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
First level in a MTT, Villain is unknown.

Stacks:
* slycebu with 11550
* BTN with 8800
* SB with 15850
* BB with 1525
* UTG with 10375
* MP1 with 10825
* MP2 with 11075

Blinds: 50/100
Site: pokerstars
* * Dealt to slycebu:A♦ K♦
* * Sklansky group 1
Preflop:
* * 1 players fold.
* * MP1 raises 300 to 400
* * 1 players fold.
Hero raises 500 to 900
* * 3 players fold.
* * MP1 calls [500]
* * Total folds this street: 5
* * Potsize: 1950
Flop: 10♠ Q♥ 7♠
* * MP1: checks Hero bets [1200]
* * MP1 calls [1200]
* * Potsize: 4350
Turn: A♥
* * MP1: checks Hero bets [2000]
* * MP1 calls [2000]
* * Potsize: 8350
River: 10♦
* * MP1: checks Hero: ???

What's my action on the river, and why? Feel free to comment on earlier streets. Thanks

Poker Hand Converter By Cardschat.com Poker Forum

Jillychemung

Jillychemung

Stacks & Stacks
Loyaler
Total posts
Awards
Chips
Preflop your 3-bet is too small, effectively it is a minraise and you are lucky not to get more callers in this hand.

Flop, wet and lands right in the middle of opponents range. IMHO this is one of the flops where a Cbet is not called for. About only hand you can 'sell' here is AK or QQ.

Turn, as played OK

River, without a history on the opponent I don't know if you can get a thin value bet in here. I'd hate to bet 2K-3K here and get check raised. This early in the tournament I'd vote for a check here.

Melkor

Melkor

Rock Star
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
First note, are those stack sizes right? First level? What did you start with? I am confused.

Anyway, our 3-bet preflop should be to 1200-1500, whatever you feel more comfortable with. 900 is too small. The call of our 3-bet gives us some information. AA does do this now and again but it is unlikely. QQ and KK are very unlikely played by this. I would expect a shove from another AK. AT+, 77-JJ and KQ are probably the most likely holdings.

The flop is definitely in his range but I would c-bet the flop. The middling pairs are folding, I think our strength preflop gets a ten to fold and it is a drawy board. We can fold to a check-raise and the check indicates a bit of weakness. We have shown strength pre and should continue. We get a fold out of enough hands to make a half pot profitable here, imo. I think your bet on the flop is a little big but it is not a mistake tbh, I just like to keep c-bets a little smaller.

The call is a little worrying though. Remember the strength that has been shown on both streets by us now and he is not going away. The flop does connect with villains range and they are saying it has hit them.

However, the turn is obv a good card. A king on the turn would be pretty nasty as that really hits his range but an ace is us. The check means we have to bet now we have hit. The ace has added draws to his hands that were paired (KQ and JT) so we need to charge. There is also now two flush draws out there. Bet size is good, but we are now seeing the pot become bigger than stacks.

The river is good and bad. Flush and straight draws missed but a few hands are now beating us. Too many draws fold on the river and too many hands call our shove which beat us (which is the only bet I think we can make on the river). It is a nice sized pot in comparision to our hand and not enough hands we beat are calling a shove. I would check.

slycbnew

slycbnew

Cardschat Elite
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
Starting stacks were 10,000 - 50/100 blinds on the first level. This is the sunday warmup, I sattelited in - I was also surprised by the starting stack, this is the first time I played this tourney.

I missed how small the pf re-raise was - duh - thanks. He probably thought I was a dummy and couldn't put me on a hand as a result. :D

Yeah, I was worried because he kept calling, so I checked behind. I was wondering whether there is any intelligent position saying I should have bet for value, and I think you guys answered it - much appreciated.

He had KK - I imagine his plan was to pop me on the turn, but the A slowed him down. I was surprised, though, that he didn't pop me on the flop, with such a drawy board? I just couldn't put him on a hand with the betting sequence.

ICU2QTPY

ICU2QTPY

Rock Star
Platinum Level
Total posts
Chips
I would follow it up with a $1,000.00 bet.

I'm hoping that's what you did. If he raises on the $1,000.00 then you fold out and say "nh." That means that you would lose about $3,500.00. You would have some work to do, but no worries. Hopefully there's more hands coming.

Peace.

Melkor

Melkor

Rock Star
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
Starting stacks were 10,000 - 50/100 blinds on the first level. This is the sunday warmup, I sattelited in - I was also surprised by the starting stack, this is the first time I played this tourney.

I missed how small the pf re-raise was - duh - thanks. He probably thought I was a dummy and couldn't put me on a hand as a result. :D

Yeah, I was worried because he kept calling, so I checked behind. I was wondering whether there is any intelligent position saying I should have bet for value, and I think you guys answered it - much appreciated.

He had KK - I imagine his plan was to pop me on the turn, but the A slowed him down. I was surprised, though, that he didn't pop me on the flop, with such a drawy board? I just couldn't put him on a hand with the betting sequence.

Lol at me saying 'KK is very unlikely.' :eek:

To be fair, he played the hand atrociously. Maybe the small reraise scared him but he has to 4-bet shove there preflop. The check-call on that flop is hilariously bad and he deserved you to catch the turn.

Ashame because that hand was the one that would call a bet on the river I reckon, too much in the pot for him to fold. Checking is still right here I reckon. Well played and good job on the nice tourney, 10000 starting stacks, got to make one of those! Haha.