MTT freeroll late stages - QQ vs Pre-flop mega raise

TheRifle

TheRifle

Rock Star
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
Late stages of freeroll MTT around 40 left (so ITM) but relatively short stacked. No real information about the other players as I have been at the table for approx 10 hands. The question to call or not to call with QQ in this situation.

Blinds: 950/1700/150 ante

Starting chips and positions:

BRAIN X 1 $88,067.00
FULLTILTBUCK 2 $17,813.00
racer_520 3 $151,529.26
son72 4 $24,908.00
komar57 5 $56,436.00
plzech 6 $67,823.00
jsthvgfn 7 $31,206.83
Logic907 8 $7,575.00
Rifle35692 9 Q
diamonds.bmp
Q
hearts.bmp
$20,955.00

Bets:

BRAIN X raises $20,720
Seats 2 to 8 fold.

blankoblanco

blankoblanco

plays poker on hard mode
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
You have an M of about 7. This guy made a huge raise UTG which doesn't exactly scream AA or KK. Would you make that sized raise with AA or KK if you were him and had his stack? If he has AA or KK and played it super weirdly, good for him. I repeat: you have an M of about 7. I call this instantaneously.

dj11

dj11

Legend
Silver Level
Total posts
Awards
Chips
What is that 'M' ? I have seen it a few times, know it relates, but can't find any info. Please expand.

Dorkus Malorkus

Dorkus Malorkus

HELLO INTERNET
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
instacall

lemme guess, you ran into aces, right?

Last edited:
blankoblanco

blankoblanco

plays poker on hard mode
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
What is that 'M' ? I have seen it a few times, know it relates, but can't find any info. Please expand.

M is a term discussed in Harrington's set of books Harrington on Hold 'Em. If you have not read them, it's very recommended for NL tournament strategy.

Your M is how many chips you have divided by (the small blind + big blind + all the antes). Basically it tells you how many more orbits around the table you can survive, at the current blinds level. His book discusses the different zones depending on your M. Basically your M is quite low, meaning you don't have a lot of time to find a situation much better than this one, so you should go for it.

Stefanicov

Stefanicov

Legend
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
ok i call this 999 times out of 1000 and the other time will be a missclick:eek: gotta call:D

A

alan1983

Visionary
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
idnt be so sure he doesnt have KK or AA, the guy raised UTG 1/4 his stack. So hes pretty much committed himself to a potential all-in reraise

If many people are entering raised pots, then he could be doing it to isolate against one player maximum, although its unlikely but some players do that sort of move

Having said that, youre shortstacked and theres a lot of hands that could make such a move that you have dominated from jj to 1010 99 to AK (coinflip that id be happy 2 take) etc...

Id def call and have no regrets even if he shows kk-aa

blankoblanco

blankoblanco

plays poker on hard mode
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
I'm pretty sure he called (correctly), other guy ended up having KK or AA, and thus this topic was born. Let's find out if I'm psychic.

TheRifle

TheRifle

Rock Star
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
The reason I posted this was to comment on the betting.

Most of you as I did have seen this from my perspective - although I am not desperately short of chips, I have a top 5 hand and if I'm going to make an impression on the tourney I have to play it. Indeed I clicked all-in after villain bet before I knew what anyone else was doing.

But, if you look at it from villain's POV, there are many reasonable stacks at the table - he's put 25% of his chips in and no doubt will call or bet all-in if he's re-raised. He is totally in the wrong position for a steal and its too big a bet. If he has a high ace or mid pp - JJ and below - surely he only bets 4 to 5 BBs from position 1. So this makes it a monster i.e. KK or most likely AA.

And it was.

mrsnake3695

mrsnake3695

I'm confused
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
Problem is I've seen donks late in tourneys with big stacks that got there playing lucky and trying to push around the table. I saw a guy yesterday making these same kind of moves with A-4 K-8 and winning. So with no reads it's hard to put someone on a hand here.

If he's not a donk then I can see KK or AK doing this more than AA. With KK he wants to get rid of AX and with AK he wants to get rid of small pairs. Of course he could be someone that is tired of getting his aces cracked one too many times.

blankoblanco

blankoblanco

plays poker on hard mode
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
But, if you look at it from villain's POV, there are many reasonable stacks at the table - he's put 25% of his chips in and no doubt will call or bet all-in if he's re-raised. He is totally in the wrong position for a steal and its too big a bet. If he has a high ace or mid pp - JJ and below - surely he only bets 4 to 5 BBs from position 1. So this makes it a monster i.e. KK or most likely AA.

And it was.

I'm sorry, but I think you're really overthinking it. It's a freeroll. Putting villain on KK+ and folding QQ here in a freeroll with your stack size would be absolutely criminal. There's not much anyone could say that would convince me otherwise.

G

ginNjuice

Enthusiast
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
Pushing your stack here is correct. You're very unlikely to find a better starting hand than this before you start to become extremely desperate (less than 10 BBs). If he does have one of the two hands that can beat you then so be it. I have seen it many times where people make this play with AA or KK but I'd be hard pressed to fold.

D

dan_ives

Enthusiast
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
i guess with a stack like that hes looking to bully most people out which in ur case was possible because no1 waqnts to go up agenst him.. i think in his befalf strong play if u did fold but hes hoping ur geting low on chips and just push...never expect quens all in 4 shawwwww