MTT AKos All-in pre how do you play here?

intents09

intents09

Legend
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
This is a $0.50+$.05 R+A $50 GT, had 100 entries and after 1st break was $134 paying 8 players. We are at the 300-600 level roughly an hr and a half into the tourney or just about. There are 28-29 remaining and I have about an average stack, at 11,810. I'm in mp2 I believe, I get AK off, and UTG guy pushes all in for 21k. I thought for only a few seconds but basically insta folded. I feel I have a decent enough stack for a better time in this tourney than calling hoping for a flip and usually not gonna see worse, like AQ or AJ. The guy has played some hands, to have 21k here, so he's prob a LAG but he isn't just crazy betting atc all the time. I folded, how do you play it and why?

I wanted to add this in a separate thread but I'll hope this is easier and keep it here. Later in this tourney about 23-24 players with roughly 9,500-10k chips I pick up AK hearts and this same villain goes all in from a later position, either cutoff or just before, and he now has slightly less chips than me. He does this after the utg player has made a basic raise, 2.5-3x. I reraise the rest of my chips as a call leaves me with less than 1,500. The utg player thinks for a few before finally folding. Our cards are flipped and villain has AK diamonds, UTG says he had AK also hehe and villain and I split pot. Finally with 17 players left I've been blinded down as I've seen no hands, we are 9 handed and I'm in the SB after just folding BB and blinds are 1500-3000. I have 6180 or so behind and same villain, yet again, has gone all in for 15k in the CO as everyone has folded to him. I hate this spot so much, but I reluctantly call with TT. He flips over KQ off and hits a K on the flop, knocking me out 17th. So as a second question, do you call and hope rather easily with the TT here or do you possibly fold some more and either way, why?

R

RamdeeBen

Legend
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
Getting AK in pre flop for 20bb eff is never a bad situation to be in when we're far of the money and average stack.

Second again I just call it off.

moses59

moses59

Enthusiast
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
U had to call that low in money he just got lucky and the ak earlier was also a must call I believe

A

amohamed

Rising Star
Bronze Level
Total posts
Chips
so many variables in folding AK...i would honestly say u have to have a good read on him...if your far from the money with a average stack i would call...u might get knocked out or that might be the hand to get u to the top 5...dont try to min cash...its pointless...in the long run u will be a loser...always try and win. With that being said...u have AK sitting on the bubble and a guy that has u covered goes all in i would fold...thats a special situation....i know guys who are deepstacked who would fold AA on the bubble if there was a chance they could get knocked out....i dont kno if i ever fold AA preflop but AK on the bubble i just might

intents09

intents09

Legend
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
I call both

Getting AK in pre flop for 20bb eff is never a bad situation to be in when we're far of the money and average stack.

Second again I just call it off.

U had to call that low in money he just got lucky and the ak earlier was also a must call I believe
Ok so 2 have said call both with no explanation and somewhat of one from PokerBen on the AK. Forgetting the TT which I understand is a must play at a bad time, the AK I am interested in a reason calling is better than a fold here, long term. Is it simply because when I am against a pair here it's going to be QQ- more often than KK or AA? Even then I'm behind with good draws, but have to get there, for my tourney life... I guess the question I'm looking for an answer to is why don't we wait for another spot here with enough chips to?

TheKAAHK

TheKAAHK

CardsChat Elite
Silver Level
Total posts
Awards
CA
Chips
Because with AK, you are only really behind AA or KK, both of which you have blockers to, and are dominating or flipping with the rest. There's rarely a bad spot to flip with AK against an unknown.

W

WiZZiM

Legend
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
Tt plays very similar to ak depending of course on the reads you have on villains range. You can fold them and "wait for a better spot". However thats not a very good mindset to have in tournament play since we need a lot of chips to make really deep runs and get those top 3 spots.

Sorry for the short reply.. too old and bitter to post anything with substance anymore.

But yeah dont overthink it. Both hands are top 5 percenters get them in and move on. In general both have good equity with 20 to 40 bb stacks against anyone but absolute nits

Zorba

Zorba

Platinum Level
Total posts
Awards
AQ
Chips
Tt plays very similar to ak depending of course on the reads you have on villains range. You can fold them and "wait for a better spot". However thats not a very good mindset to have in tournament play since we need a lot of chips to make really deep runs and get those top 3 spots.

Sorry for the short reply.. too old and bitter to post anything with substance anymore.

But yeah dont overthink it. Both hands are top 5 percenters get them in and move on. In general both have good equity with 20 to 40 bb stacks against anyone but absolute nits

You poor old bastad. Life hard up Nth is it.

A

amohamed

Rising Star
Bronze Level
Total posts
Chips
Because with AK, you are only really behind AA or KK, both of which you have blockers to, and are dominating or flipping with the rest. There's rarely a bad spot to flip with AK against an unknown.

if your 85 BB deep and u have AK on the button as well as on the bubble and a villain shoves all in from UTG 80BB you would call off your stack?

horizon12

horizon12

Legend
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
if your 85 BB deep and u have AK on the button as well as on the bubble and a villain shoves all in from UTG 80BB you would call off your stack?

Easy fold, better not to risk , you can find much more profitable solutions than about 45% equity...

Jacki Burkhart

Jacki Burkhart

long winded rambler...
Silver Level
Total posts
Awards
Chips
The first AK is close, but I don't mind your fold. I might call based on my player read, the main reason I would call is because we are still pretty far from the money and we're gonna have to win some flips to get there.

The 2nd AK definitely jam, so good job.

The last hand, TT is a fist pump snap call. you have 3BBs and a strong hand and you're still a ways off from the money. In fact, I think you should have found a hand in the last orbit to jam on. I'm not quite sure of the situation, but barring unusual circumstances you probably shouldn't have folded your SB with only 3.5bbs, or your Button, or your CO or HJ even....gotta get it in when it folds to you with 10bb and under, just close your eyes and jam.

This happened to me, I got crippled AK vs AQ all in pre and he binked a Q. Left me with 3bb UTG and I promised myself to jam any 2 cards. So I look down at 23o.....worst hand ever. But I stick with my plan and jam it. I get 3 callers and flop comes 22J and I quadruple up. When your stack gets short enough, no hand is bad enough to fold.

intents09

intents09

Legend
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
Yes, my question on the TT was rather obvious, and while I do follow the short stack idea and playing for top 3, sometimes I just wanna see if I can min cash and risk blinding out. When I'm really card dead. I try to play 10bb and under much more loosely but I'm always left wondering well what may I have been dealt the next hand, and so on, as I'm sure a lot of players do. So I need to work on forgetting the results, I understand, I guess it's just sometimes I would rather just get there than not, as I hate bubbling more than anything on the planet. I understand 15+ spots from the money isn't really bubbling either, as was the case here, but often you can ride a short stack through quite a few more busts and squeak in.

Jacki Burkhart

Jacki Burkhart

long winded rambler...
Silver Level
Total posts
Awards
Chips
I think it's ok sometimes to play cautiously with a short stack on the bubble as the value of min cashing now represents a tremendous amount if your entire tournament equity and the chances of running up a small stack to a top 3 pay spot are pretty slim compared to the chances of cashing which are really quite good. So believe me, I really do get it.

BUT.... You are way too far from the bubble to be thinking like that. You need to be like 1 or maximum 2 players from the money to let it affect your short stack k strategy...

A

amohamed

Rising Star
Bronze Level
Total posts
Chips
Easy fold, better not to risk , you can find much more profitable solutions than about 45% equity...

especially on the bubble. If you were short stacked however, bubble or not you have to call right there...if my range puts him only AA-KK then i still may fold, but ill call off anything else...including QQ-99