Live Tourney Hand

Sheresh

Sheresh

Rising Star
Bronze Level
Total posts
Chips
Ok so I was in another live tournament last night. My fourth one in fact. Anyways, We were down to around 5 people at the final table out of about 60 with 200/400 blinds and I was in the big blind with :ac4: :kc4:.

Got folded around to this one guy sitting next to the dealer who just called the BB for 400. Rest of the table folds back around to me so I checked.

Flop comes: :as4: :3d4: :9h4:

I'm first to act so I check to see if he hit an Ace and wants to raise, sure enough he bets 500 into the pot and I raise 1k, he thinks for a minute playing with his chips and then pushes all in for around 3k. I'm sitting on about roughly 2700$ and with about 5k in the pot after his pushing all in I decide to call. He turns over :ah4: :3s4: for the two pair and I'm stuck with :ac4: :kc4: and we go to the turn..(dramatic pause by the dealer) and he turns over the :qd4: , no help to either of us (another longer dramatic pause by the dealer) and he turns over the :9c4: for me to take down the pot and pretty much knock out they guy with :ac4: :9c4: for top two pair.

Now I got up to shake this guys hand and to say that it was good playing with him, and that I was sorry to beat him like that. The guy would NOT shake my hand, he wouldn't speak to me, like I was just some crappy player that just got lucky.

So my question here is, did I make the right call? Or should I have folded? Or am I a donk for playing that? I just didn't feel like I could get away from it. I knew he didn't have AA, because he hadn't been playing many hands, but when he did, they were usually pretty bad ones, 2,k, 7,Q, 5,J, stuff like that.

I did end up placing 3rd last night, not bad considering my fourth tournament only and I placed 2nd the night before in another one, and I took 1st in my 2nd tournament.

Last edited:
K

ketz

Enthusiast
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
Firstly you should be raising pre-flop. I think in the situation you wouldn't want the hand to go to waste and scare your opponent off. But you should have protected your hand. TOP/TOP is very regularly over-played. Some say you should be able to fold Top Pair-Top Kicker. I would probably have thought about folding it because I have seen people limp with A-rag too many times and take down big pots with 2 pair. But I would have ended up calling as well.

Emperor IX

Emperor IX

Cardschat Elite
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
So my question here is, did I make the right call? Or should I have folded? Or am I a donk for playing that? I just didn't feel like I could get away from it. I knew he didn't have AA, because he hadn't been playing many hands, but when he did, they were usually pretty bad ones, 2,k, 7,Q, 5,J, stuff like that.

No, you're definitely not a donk for playing it that way.

About the call: Against any average players who are playing standard style and not caught up in a mix up play, they shouldn't be having Ace-rag, so you were right in thinking you had the best hand. The best I'd've put him on was a set of 9's, but that's doubtful due to pre-flop play.

I just read your last sentence. It seems kind of stupid that he's tight (usually when we describe a player as tight, they wait for GOOD hands), but plays marginal crap like that. He played incorrectly and got stacked for it. Kudos to you (even though it was suckout).

Ah yes, and you should've definitely raised it pre flop. He doesn't seem like the person to limp/reraise, so a raise would've been safe (HOPEFULLY he would've dropped his hand).

heatfan03

heatfan03

Visionary
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
u definetly didnt donk him. yea you should have raised preflop but he still would have made the same play if you did that. Good read putting him away from trip aces. Good play all in all.

Organize a Home Poker Game Starting Hands - Poker Hand Nicknames Rankings - Poker Hands