Live Play: Pocket JJ's OOP facing 3-bet

blkmoney12

blkmoney12

Rock Star
Bronze Level
Total posts
Awards
Chips
I was playing in my pub poker league free roll. Their was only 8 people and we started with 5000 chips and the blinds started at 50-100. I had started the hand with 4400 left when i looked down from early position with pocket jj so i raised too 400 it gets folded around too the button who re raises too 1200 total the sb calls the 1200
gets folded around too me. MY thought process was i didn't want to smooth call with my jj out of position I thought the re raiser had maybe he could have a big pocket pair or he could have maybe ak aq trying too push me out of the pot I know the other caller didn't have a hand. So my think was that the re raiser was trying too make a play so i re re raised all in for my last 3200 on top and of course he snapped called and the other player folded so when the cards are flied he had pocket kings and he busted me . So the question is should i have re raised him?

F

french347

Rising Star
Bronze Level
Total posts
Chips
dont re rise

I was playing in my pub poker league free roll. Their was only 8 people and we started with 5000 chips and the blinds started at 50-100. I had started the hand with 4400 left when i looked down from early position with pocket jj so i raised too 400 it gets folded around too the button who re raises too 1200 total the sb calls the 1200
gets folded around too me. MY thought process was i didn't want to smooth call with my jj out of position I thought the re raiser had maybe he could have a big pocket pair or he could have maybe ak aq trying too push me out of the pot I know the other caller didn't have a hand. So my think was that the re raiser was trying too make a play so i re re raised all in for my last 3200 on top and of course he snapped called and the other player folded so when the cards are flied he had pocket kings and he busted me . So the question is should i have re raised him?

i think you shudent re rise

BigCountryAA

BigCountryAA

Visionary
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
Regardless of popular opinion JJ isn't a hand you want all your chips in the middle with preflop unless you are short stacked. Flat the reraise if you must and evaluate on the flop don't reraise unless you have an amazing read on your opponent. Even if he had AK or AQ your still flipping for your tournament life and we all know how aces love to hit the flop only you now have Kings and Queens to worry about as well.

DaveE

DaveE

Solvem probler
Project Moderator
Total posts
Awards
CA
Chips
I've been a victim of JJ many times, but....if you get reraised AND someone else comes along you have to fold...even buttons and blinds.

AA and KK are the only hands I'm shoving back with, everything else is a fold without killer reads on your opponents.

M

MIShroomer47

Rock Star
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
Definitely no re-raise here. Just flat to the flop and wait and see what comes. like above poster mentioned, JJ is not a hand you wanna be shoving preflop with that early in the game. too many hands to see still. If your opponent fires a second barrel on the flop, you gotta give him credit for a big hand unless you know this opponent in particular and can feasibly see JJ is the best hand. Also if you just flat the flop and see any A K or Q on the flop, this gives you more reason to fold and live to fight for another pot! Hope this helps

Poker Orifice

Poker Orifice

FoolsTilt
Platinum Level
Total posts
Awards
CA
Chips
I know the other caller didn't have a hand.
My thinking would've been the opposite of this ^ (unless the 'caller' is particularly bad)... who's flatting there pre for ~25% of effective stacks without a hand? I'd be more concerned about the caller having AA, KK here in this spot (but I guess I was wrong).

JohnBoyWWFC

JohnBoyWWFC

Grindddddd
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
People saying flat pre flop are being silly. You can't flat call 1200 out of your 4400 stack. Also what are you gonna do on 258r flops? I would raise smaller pre and just fold to the 3b, unless it's someone who you know has a lot of worse cards in their range.

Jblocher1

Jblocher1

Legend
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
I fold the pocket jacks or shove them. You can't flat call or raise a little. It sounds to me like you knew you were at least up against 2 over cards so I would recommend a fold since you had a solid read on him and I don't think u were willing to flip for your life

PLAYINBIG

PLAYINBIG

Legend
Silver Level
Total posts
Awards
Chips
(Not a knowing the player had K/K) I would of raised to about 8 times the BB .If some one re raised that,I would instant fold pocket J's.I could be playing it wrong myself just an opinion.

Organize a Home Poker Game