Live final table, call or shove?

M

markrh13

Enthusiast
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
I played a live tournament the other night and wondered everyone else's thoughts on this spot. All stack sizes are from memory so may not be exactly right.
7 remaining, 4 places paid, roughly 150,000 chips in play. Blinds are 1,000/2,000.

Button: 20,000
SB: 4,000
Hero: 24,000 (AQ)
UTG: 6,000
MP1: 25,000
MP2: 30,000
CO: 35,000

UTG folds, MP1 folds, MP2 calls, CO folds, Button folds, SB shoves, BB?

What would you do here?

ConDeck

ConDeck

Visionary
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
I shove over the top here, your ahead of MP2's range like nearly always, even if a super NIT how often is he limping better than AQ here? Your shove gives you fold equity against him anyway so he folds most of the time unless hes real lose, in which case you could call to invite him in. I think the shove is the best play as you probably have both crushed with a possible flip against SB.

alipalip

alipalip

Rock Star
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
That is not a question. All in is the right way! it`s a perfect spot for a squeez.. MP2 range is like 65s+,T9o+ 55+ so you will be far ahead. SB is shorthy so he got like any Ax, Kx, Qx maybe Jx, all suited connectors 22+ .

M

markrh13

Enthusiast
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
Ok, this makes me feel better! I did shove over the top: SB had 9,10s and it turned out MP1 had pocket 4s. The 4s held and a 10 came on the board so I was out.
Afterwards I was beating myself up a little thinking maybe I shouldn't have put all my chips at risk so near the bubble having been in a good position (even though I figured same as you and thought it a very low risk spot). Just one of those very unlucky spots I guess!

mk0523

mk0523

Legend
Silver Level
Total posts
Awards
Chips
Yup you made the right decision. Nothing you can do about a guy make the wrong call and than getting lucky on you.

Deep Bhavsar

Deep Bhavsar

Enthusiast
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
I would definitely call or raise in this spot for sure.. not shove, if i flop A or Q I will shove

A

aolguin3

Visionary
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
just call and wait for the flop

Karozi615

Karozi615

Visionary
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
shoving would be the correct decision because you "realize" 5 cards of equity instead of having to reevaluate on a non A or Q flop.

It gives me butterflies to think people are posting on here actually advocating a call or raise instead of a shove.

There still is money to be made in this game!

Karozi615

Karozi615

Visionary
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
Yup you made the right decision. Nothing you can do about a guy make the wrong call and than getting lucky on you.

wrong call?

MP1 had a pair, he had 44, he had two players all in with the best hand.

This hand was standard on all parts, there really is nothing to evaluate.

Marcwantstowin

Marcwantstowin

Member of the T.S.T
Total posts
Awards
GB
Chips
Hiya Mark. I may have just raised, but not all-in. If you raised to 10K the other player may take that as a message that you have a monster and his 4's may be in trouble. It just shows a different way you could have played. This would also depend what you know about him/ or her?

I agree with the majority though a shove in your position ~ nothing wrong with that. Hope this helps. Gl in the future.....:D:D:D

PokerFunKid

PokerFunKid

Legend
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
Easy shove for me. Btn could be limping with a lot hands and live they like to limp with all sort of hands. Then the SB shove is a very wide range. Your stack increase nicely even if you don't get more action. If you call, you call for a big ammount of your stack and going to miss the flop often. Don't want to make it to difficult for yourself post flop, with that stack size there's not much room to play post flop. So just shove it.

PokerFunKid

PokerFunKid

Legend
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
wrong call?

MP1 had a pair, he had 44, he had two players all in with the best hand.

This hand was standard on all parts, there really is nothing to evaluate.

Not really.. Shove 44 with that stacksize or fold it. Limp calling is the worst option. And i didn't even mention ICM. Horrible played by 44. You want to shove 44, not call with it.

H

hffjd2000

Legend
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
Just like Ive said before here, live play, you have to play the people and not the cards.

The main question would be, whats your observation on mp2 and not on your decision above.

Jacki Burkhart

Jacki Burkhart

long winded rambler...
Silver Level
Total posts
Awards
Chips
always iso-shoving here. 100% of the time, without question even if both players are nits. We have 12bb and tons of fold equity. AQ is a monster with 12bb.

well played.

Jacki Burkhart

Jacki Burkhart

long winded rambler...
Silver Level
Total posts
Awards
Chips
another reason why flatting is bad, is that the action is re-opened and the original limper can iso-shove on YOU. take that move away from him by beating him to it.

Usually the limper will fold, and you'll have 60% equity with dead money. Even when you get called you have 35% equity in a 3 way pot which is plenty good enough.

and to whoever said "44 made a good call. he got it in with the best hand vs 2 players" I think that is a silly way of looking at the hand. What is he doing, limp trapping with 44? while he may have been technically ahead in this exact match-up he'll nearly always be facing 4 overs or an overpair and 2 overs. pretty terrible spot and the 44, though technically "ahead" has the smallest equity in the 3 way pot.

AQo has 35.7% equity
9Ts has 35% equiy
44 has 29% equity.

C

CallmeFloppy

Legend
Bronze Level
Total posts
Awards
Chips
Without knowing any of the players I would have shoved in that situation as MP2 did not raise. I prefer to try to isolate in that situation.

Organize a Home Poker Game