late stages of MTT, ok shove?

blueskies

blueskies

Legend
Loyaler
Total posts
Awards
Chips
I am not an experienced MTT player. Would like some thoughts on this.

I was in the late stages of a Carbon MTT. 21-30 pays $17+. 11-30 pays $23+. 23 players left.

I am on SB with 21K left. Blinds 2K/4K with ante 400. I am sitting in 18th place in chips. I hadn't played a hand in about 10 minutes (nothing playable and I had no chance to open shove) and my chips have dwindled down.

I have A8os. Everyone folds to me except CO who limps. He has a 70K stack and has been limping a ton. BB has 53K but I figured he would fold to a shove unless he had a huge hand.

I decided to shove thinking that CO isn't strong and even if he called I still had a shot as his range includes k10 or J10 suited or small PP type of hand or even worse.

BB folded as expected but CO turns over AQ and I went out in 23rd place. I didn't put him on a big ace because I figured he would have raised with it. I was wrong.

joker131

joker131

Visionary
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
no no no, u had enought stack to wait, all u done was try to steel the BB, A rag in the small blind , is a call or fold, in this situation. u could of waited for a good hand in a good position before shoveing.

Legend
Loyaler
Total posts
Awards
NL
Chips
no no no, u had enought stack to wait, all u done was try to steel the BB, A rag in the small blind , is a call or fold, in this situation. u could of waited for a good hand in a good position before shoveing.

I see 21K left with blinds 2K/4K and 400 antes.
I don't know how many players at the table but I assume at least 7 (3 tables).
Meaning an M of a bit more of 2.
Well, to me that's not a call.
I think it's a shove in that spot and I'm sure I would have shoved myself.

TylerN

TylerN

Kool-Aid & Frozen Pizza
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips

enough stack to wait? He has around 5BB left

Legend
Loyaler
Total posts
Awards
NL
Chips
enough stack to wait? He has around 5BB left
Ik actually think joker read 21 BB and that would have made a difference.
As I said, with 21K left, there's nothing left than a shove (imho offcourse).
I actually neither understand CO, limping with AQ, potentially giving the BB the opportunity to just check and probably hit a good flop.

blueskies

blueskies

Legend
Loyaler
Total posts
Awards
Chips
I was actually on the same table with CO in the early parts of the tourney before splitting up and then subsequently rejoining. I saw him limp call alot. Yet I saw him maybe lose one or two hands. He was calling shoves from short stackers with hands like K3 suited and Q10 earlier and kept winning and building up his stack.

I dunno if that makes my shove smart or not cuz I kind of knew I was gonna get called and would be a slight fav at best. But I just couldn't wait for a big hand anymore as I had gone 20 something hands without a single playable one. At least I felt I had a pretty good chance of being (slightly) ahead in a likely headsup showdown.

It turned out he had AQ this time.

T

ThunderPT

Rock Star
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
Just shove. You're only slightly ahead of his range at best (if he limp-calls with the top 35% of hands except AA-QQ, you have 52.2% equity) and you don't seem to have much fold equity either, but you can't afford to wait for a better spot. If you fold here, your position will get worse, your stack will get shorter, and the limper will be just as loose the next time. It's a bigger gamble to expect a better spot in the next few hands than shoving here.

TheKAAHK

TheKAAHK

Bubble Punter
Loyaler
Total posts
Awards
CA
Chips
Ik actually think joker read 21 BB and that would have made a difference.
As I said, with 21K left, there's nothing left than a shove (imho offcourse).
I actually neither understand CO, limping with AQ, potentially giving the BB the opportunity to just check and probably hit a good flop.

I see and do this quite a bit while I'm the big stack. I limp with a monster, making myself look weak and hoping the shorty will shove. If he does not shove and I miss horribly, I can let my hand go with minimal loss.