JJ reraised - $33 MTT

Irexes

Irexes

Legend
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
$33 For me this is a regulation fold. But I see a lot of people making the call or reraise here with JJ.

Any thoughts?

Villain is 33% vpip 10% pfr over 30 hands.

***** Hand History for Game 5986738776 *****
NL Texas Hold'em Trny: 33528128 Level: 2 Blinds(30/60) - Sunday, May 20, 14:27:27 ET 2007
Table Regular (1026651) Table #11 (real money)
Seat 1 is the button
Total number of players : 10
Seat 4: pdanckert ( 3,720 )
Seat 5: Irexes ( 9,640 )
Seat 6: JustP333 ( 2,340 )
Seat 7: kezza78 ( 2,240 )
Seat 8: tonydddddd ( 4,560 )
Seat 9: norway7 ( 3,740 )
Seat 10: Mitzuno ( 6,740 )
Seat 1: PoorDog23 ( 2,060 )
Seat 2: Goodgellas ( 1,330 )
Seat 3: mf8480 ( 580 )
Trny: 33528128 Level: 2
Blinds(30/60)
** Dealing down cards **
Dealt to Irexes [ Jd Jc ]
pdanckert folds
Irexes raises [180]
JustP333 folds
kezza78 folds
tonydddddd raises [720]
norway7 folds
Mitzuno folds
PoorDog23 folds
Goodgellas folds
mf8480 folds
Irexes folds
tonydddddd does not show cards.
tonydddddd wins 990 chips

Irexes

Irexes

Legend
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
Just as a bonus I got this a few hands later.

Villain here is tight 16% vpip 5% pfr over 150 hands. I put him squarely on AK as anything better he doesn't push.

I figure with the equity of the pot this one's a call.

***** Hand History for Game 5986780225 *****
NL Texas Hold'em Trny: 33528128 Level: 3 Blinds(50/100) - Sunday, May 20, 14:37:43 ET 2007
Table Regular (1026651) Table #11 (Real Money)
Seat 6 is the button
Total number of players : 9
Seat 4: pdanckert ( 15,760 )
Seat 5: Irexes ( 10,460 )
Seat 6: JustP333 ( 2,100 )
Seat 7: kezza78 ( 2,120 )
Seat 9: norway7 ( 4,550 )
Seat 1: PoorDog23 ( 2,060 )
Seat 3: Mike_____44 ( 2,370 )
Seat 2: LaurMG ( 2,450 )
Seat 8: flashdax ( 2,090 )
Trny: 33528128 Level: 3
Blinds(50/100)
** Dealing down cards **
Dealt to Irexes [ Jh Jd ]
norway7 folds
PoorDog23 folds
LaurMG calls [100]
Mike_____44 folds
pdanckert folds
Irexes raises [390]
JustP333 folds
kezza78 is all-In [2,070]
flashdax folds
LaurMG folds
Your time bank will be activated in 5 secs. If you do not want it to be used, please act now.
Irexes will be using his time bank for this hand.
Irexes calls [1,730]
** Dealing Flop ** [ Ks, 7s, 7c ]
** Dealing Turn ** [ 4c ]
** Dealing River ** [ 6c ]
Irexes shows [ Jh, Jd ]two pairs, Jacks and Sevens.
kezza78 shows [ Kd, Ah ]two pairs, Kings and Sevens.
kezza78 wins 4,440 chips from the main pot with two pairs, Kings and Sevens.

J

joeeagles

Legend
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
This is higher stakes than I normally play, so I'm not sure what to think when I see a reraise. At the lower levels it usually screams strength, at these levels i don't know if players would do it with TT, 99. I know that I would fold just like you did, I don't like going to war with JJ, particularly with a nice stack yours right now, even if JJ isn't a bad hand.

I'd like to see other opinions, this hand is very interesting.

skoldpadda

skoldpadda

Caveman Eye Surgeon
Bronze Level
Total posts
Awards
Chips
I don't play these levels either, but with a really deep stack in the first one might you not take a flop? Since the other guy has a fair number of chips it might be worth the risk. I like the call in the 2nd one.

Irexes

Irexes

Legend
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
I wouldn't worry too much about the buy-in chaps. At $33 there's more decent players than lower levels but still a majority who are weak and many, many who are flat out bad. Need to get to $100+ before I've felt a really big change in the tone of the game.

J

joeeagles

Legend
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
If you say the majority is weak I'll take your word for it, and I agree with both hands the way you played them. I'm still interested in others opinions about 1st hand, which I find a very interesting one.

ChuckTs

ChuckTs

Legend
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
What is your table image at the point of the first hand?

Irexes

Irexes

Legend
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
I've won pretty much every hand I've contested and those I've shown I've had the goods. Was on a real rush at this point.

ChuckTs

ChuckTs

Legend
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
Had you layed down a tighter image, I'd say that folding is the 'right' play. I don't think I'm disciplined enough to fold to the reraise, though, especially saying as how you're on a rush atm and people will give you less credit for a hand.

I would probably call and see what the flop brought.

J

joeeagles

Legend
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
Ok, so nobody is willing to post here on the first hand besides Chuck and Skold? Hmm, let me guess why. Because its fricken hard, thats why.

The other day I had some free time and went to my local Barnes & Noble bookstore. I gave a look at Gordon's blue book. You probably all know that this book is a collection of real hands he played to which he adds analysis. There was this one hand where he said that if NLHE is played in hell, then you'd be UTG every hand and you'd be dealt JJ.

I always found JJ very hard to play in that situation, so I was glad to read that coming from him. In this hand Irexes is UTG+1, which doesn't change much. I was interested to see members opinion on what to do here, but I'm guessing now that nobody likes this hand, understandably. JJ in EP is one of the toughest PF decisions in holdem when it gets reraised.

ChuckTs

ChuckTs

Legend
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
Agreed, Joe. It is a toughy.

Like I said, I'm either not disciplined enough to fold this, or maybe I'm just more aggressive than Rex, but he's got a proven track record with MTTs and I won't argue a fold here.

NineLions

NineLions

Advanced beginner
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
2nd hand also made easier because villain has 1/5 your stack as opposed to 1/2 your stack in the first, and because the second villain has pushed you don't get faced with difficult post flop decisions?

I like what you say about putting the second villain on AK, something beyond my reading skills, but then I play much weaker (unpredictable) competition.

skoldpadda

skoldpadda

Caveman Eye Surgeon
Bronze Level
Total posts
Awards
Chips
I like what you say about putting the second villain on AK, something beyond my reading skills, but then I play much weaker (unpredictable) competition.

I think this is where software like pokertracker is so useful. VPIP of 16% and PFR (preflop raise) of 5% tells you the player is very tight and you can put him on a fairly narrow range of hands he'd push with. Normally, I think you include AQ suited and JJ here as well with these numbers, but Rex has the JJ -- so I'd guess AQ suited or AK. Obviously there is only one other combination of JJ, 4 combos of AQ suited and 16 combos of AK so statistically AK is most likely.

A

andrewk78

Rising Star
Bronze Level
Total posts
Chips
JJ is my bane without a doubt.

I would love to be able to say that I would fold it there, but it just aint happening. I would have to say that is the move there though.

offtopic: In case anyone wonders who I am. I have been registered on the forum for awhile. Done a lot of lurking and decided to become a poster :p

Dorkus Malorkus

Dorkus Malorkus

HELLO INTERNET
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
I like both hands as played.

In #1 we will be out of position and will invariably be faced with a c-bet which we will not be able to call. I'm not comfortable tossing 540 chips in when I'm check-folding the flop the vast majority of the time. Even if undercards flop we will still be OOP with little confidence in our hand. It's the gap concept in action really - even if villain makes this move with TT we're behind a range of AA-TT/AK (heck, include AQ if you want, it changes little).

One interesting point is how our play here might change according to villain's stack. Let's say villain has (a) 2k and (b) 9k. Does this change our play in the hand?

#2 is trickier imo, but we've raised a weak lmiper from LP so our hand looks weaker than it is (and hence villain may be shoving light), and we have chips to absorb the impact if we lose the hand.

So nh to both.

J

joeeagles

Legend
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
One interesting point is how our play here might change according to villain's stack. Let's say villain has (a) 2k and (b) 9k. Does this change our play in the hand?

In the 1st hand I think it does, particularly if he shoves. Range is wide so in that case I think we have to call. A reraise is kind of trickier. Why reraise and not shove if you only have 2k? Wouldn't look right, it screams of begging for action. Not sure what to do in that case.

A

alan1983

Visionary
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
I just busted out of first hand of a 20$ tourney when i didnt lay down QQ to a preflop reraise. So id say first hand is a good fold. 2nd with his stack is a call.

I think the point of first hand is to not get into unneeded trouble.

Youre at best in a race, at worst a huge dog. JJ looks good but not worth half your stack 2 find out.