JJ in the SB opinions on ranges and flop play?

IreAce

IreAce

Enthusiast
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
Hi all,

First post, look forward to getting involved a bit more. Part time player from ireland.
Wondering about a hand I seen and was hoping you can share opinions.

Early to mid stages of an MTT effective stacks both 120bb at an 8 max against all unknowns.

Hero with JJ in the SB

Folds around to LJ who makes it 2.5bigs, hero in the SB makes it 10.5bigs, LJ calls
(pot is now around 23bigs) Flop comes 273 all hearts
Hero in SB overbets pot 27bigs and LJ jams his remaining 90bigs and the hero calls with JJ (no heart).
LJ shows 99 (no heart) and board runs out dry.

My question is what is your opinion on the flop bet and on the flop how would play the different parts of your range and what sizing's would you use and why?

Thanks.

D

daniel888

Visionary
Bronze Level
Total posts
Awards
Chips
Although you can bet on this flop, but I think this size is too big. The general idea is when you bet with a big size, you are showing you are bluffing or you are value-betting your strong hand. The problem here is that JJ on this board is just a medium hand (JJ just have about 48% equity against AhQ, 54% againts AhX), if the opponent plays aggressively, it will be hard to make a decision. You can use JJ to catch bluffs, but I'm not surprised if someone folds JJ here. So using a smaller size will make you have an easier situation and your opponents can call their weak hands like Ax,...

Last edited:
MTT Database Review

MTT Database Review

Enthusiast
Silver Level
Total posts
CZ
Chips
There are no overbets on small mono flops like this. Generally cbets on mono flops are small and there is also a lot of checking OOP. The only exception would be something like AKQ mono, where its not possible to have many flushes, so you could have some large cbet sizings there. But something like 732 is a small cbet (15-30% pot) or just a check.

K

kostja007

Enthusiast
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
I would recommend to bet half pot on monotone flops. I would often fold to a raise without a heart in my hand. Also a x/c is kind of weak because a lot of turn cards are bad for us. So half pot seems best way to me. A lot of villains will call with a heart to a bet. Also low pockets will often call. So you have a lot of bad hands which will call against a half potsize bet. Overbetting with no heart seems to be overplayed. Also Kx Qx Jx hearts or low pockets will often fold.

IreAce

IreAce

Enthusiast
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
There are no overbets on small mono flops like this. Generally cbets on mono flops are small and there is also a lot of checking OOP. The only exception would be something like AKQ mono, where its not possible to have many flushes, so you could have some large cbet sizings there. But something like 732 is a small cbet (15-30% pot) or just a check.
Cheers mate, Is this solver approved?

IreAce

IreAce

Enthusiast
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
Although you can bet on this flop, but I think this size is too big. The general idea is when you bet with a big size, you are showing you are bluffing or you are value-betting your strong hand. The problem here is that JJ on this board is just a medium hand (JJ just have about 48% equity against AhQ, 54% againts AhX), if the opponent plays aggressively, it will be hard to make a decision. You can use JJ to catch bluffs, but I'm not surprised if someone folds JJ here. So using a smaller size will make you have an easier situation and your opponents can call their weak hands like Ax,...
Thanks Daniel, interesting insight. Yeah overbetting is very polarising here but can't see how JJ could ever be a fold here vs an unkown Lowjack?

hilary antonik filho

hilary antonik filho

Legend
Platinum Level
Total posts
Awards
BR
Chips
I really like playing with JJ, regardless of my position, so any opinion from me would be the worst possible for any player.

MTT Database Review

MTT Database Review

Enthusiast
Silver Level
Total posts
CZ
Chips
Cheers mate, Is this solver approved?
Screenshot 3992
Close enough spot. That 10 % cbet is a bit off because LJ's smallest raise is 33% pot which is kinda big for mono flop, yadda yadda solver stuff. But check or tiny cbet should be ok. Huge cbets make no sense because LJ can have a lot of flushes already. As I said if you want to bet big on mono flop, it has to have some high cards that block lot of suited combos.

F

fundiver199

Legend
Loyaler
Total posts
Awards
Chips
As others have said, this flop is either a check (with intention to call) or a small C-bet out of position. They both overplayed their hands, and the person with JJ came out on top.

IreAce

IreAce

Enthusiast
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
View attachment 317777
Close enough spot. That 10 % cbet is a bit off because LJ's smallest raise is 33% pot which is kinda big for mono flop, yadda yadda solver stuff. But check or tiny cbet should be ok. Huge cbets make no sense because LJ can have a lot of flushes already. As I said if you want to bet big on mono flop, it has to have some high cards that block lot of suited combos.
Cheers for the chart, noted. Do you think the flop over bet would be fine in this situation nearing if we are near the final table of a large MTT say last 3 tables where you hoping to build a stack for the FT?

MTT Database Review

MTT Database Review

Enthusiast
Silver Level
Total posts
CZ
Chips
No, with ICM pressure its just worse.