luk0123

Rock Star
Bronze Level
Total posts
Awards
PL
Chips
Hello All,

I'd like to share with you and ask for your comments/suggestions. Yesterday I played our daily CC freeroll. In the first couple of hands I managed to add to my stack around 300 chips. I think it was before 10th hand that I got JJ. I was on button. At least 5 players limped bb. I raised to 4 bb. Everyone except one villain folded. He went all in. Taking under consideration that first he limped and it was early stage of the tournament I decided to check him. It was either gertti ng a really nice stack or leaving early. It appeared that he had 55. But the flop braught another 5 amd he won.
What do you think? Should I fold pre flop or rather it is something to forget.
Then I was left with 200 chips. In 2 or 3 hands I got again JJ. So at it was for me only all in case as otherwise I would be out in a couple of rounds anyway. 2 players checked and I one of them had AK and got K on the flop amd A on the river.

Attachments

• Screenshot_20240113_210855_PokerStars.jpg
    Screenshot_20240113_210855_PokerStars.jpg
    862.3 KB · Views: 25
Matt_Burns88

Matt_Burns88

Legend
Loyaler
Total posts
Awards
GB
Chips
Hi, @luk0123 thank you for posting.

I wonder if you would have posted this hand if the 5 never came and you doubled up.

Ultimately, this depends on how you view freerolls. If you're looking to play them "properly" like a normal tournament, then folding might not be the worst thing when you're 80-100bb deep. But freerolls play differently. Players are shoving all kinds of nonsense hands at the start of the tournament and folding JJ here would be madness in my opinion. The downside of all the random shoving hands is that occasionally they get there. Embrace the variance and the craziness, or don't bother playing freerolls.

MK_

MK_

Legend
Platinum Level
Total posts
US
Chips
Yeah I don't see a problem by going big or going home there,
def not the worst hand or an easy fold,
I think you're giving up a lot of equity if this is viewed as an auto fold,
he just got lucky it happens

L

luk0123

Rock Star
Bronze Level
Total posts
Awards
PL
Chips
@Matt_Burns88 most probably I've not posted this hand. One thing is, you are so frustrated when you lose with relatively strong hand.
The other and most important thing is I played poker first like 10 years ago for a couple of months, then I stopped and returned ago some time later for another couple of monts. But it was never a proper poker. My goal now is to take it seariously and as I found this place I'd like to take advantage of it by reading the forum but also ask questions to other more experienced People.
Anyway thank you all for your comments. I'm going to embrace any unlucky deals and learn as much as I can from my mistakes. And I do them a lot ( but fewer than in the past).

Matt_Burns88

Matt_Burns88

Legend
Loyaler
Total posts
Awards
GB
Chips
@Matt_Burns88 most probably I've not posted this hand. One thing is, you are so frustrated when you lose with relatively strong hand.
The other and most important thing is I played poker first like 10 years ago for a couple of months, then I stopped and returned ago some time later for another couple of monts. But it was never a proper poker. My goal now is to take it seariously and as I found this place I'd like to take advantage of it by reading the forum but also ask questions to other more experienced People.
Anyway thank you all for your comments. I'm going to embrace any unlucky deals and learn as much as I can from my mistakes. And I do them a lot ( but fewer than in the past).
It's understandable when your strong hand gets beaten by a relatively weak hand, especially when your opponent has played their hand badly.

You should aim to focus on whether you made the right call based on the range of hands your opponent could have, rather than whether you ultimately end up winning the hand or not. I would make a note on this player and wouldn't hesitate to snap call with JJ if he did something similar in the future. Good luck!

markdias

markdias

Rock Star
Bronze Level
Total posts
Awards
BR
Chips
JJ the most troll hand of all time, I'm always apprehensive about this hand...

N

Niykk

Visionary
Bronze Level
Total posts
Awards
Chips
May be there are a few ways to think about these type of hands on such a board. One is as a gambler, another one is as a balanced player. Gambler would most often go all in preflop, or on flop regardless the cards on board. The balanced player I think would bet and raise preflop, may be also on flop and turn but if reraised would have to fold them JJ.

puzzlefish

puzzlefish

student of the donk arts
Loyaler
Total posts
Awards
CA
Chips
The other and most important thing is I played poker first like 10 years ago for a couple of months, then I stopped and returned ago some time later for another couple of monts. But it was never a proper poker. My goal now is to take it seariously
If you are taking it seriously, make note of the player who jammed, see if they frequently do this with small holdings, and then keep calling with better hands.

M

Misanthrop

Rock Star
Platinum Level
Total posts
DE
Chips
You made the right read on him and therefore you made the correct decission. Making the right decission does not guarantee you to win the hand, obviously. Making the right decission will most likely make you profitbale on the long run :) good luck next hand :)

Pokerpoet2

Pokerpoet2

Legend
Loyaler
Total posts
Awards
GB
Chips
In late stages of a Tournament J/J is a possible Shove all in Pre flop, but the player with 5/5 would probably have come along for the ride anyway. It boils down to what you consider the chances of hitting are, I read 3 player right in a Live game, when I was on the BB and the player UTG was short on chips, So he Pushed all-in, and 2 other players just limped called behind him.
Now my reason of thought was I knew the player UTG was a player that wouldn't Push with anything less than an Ace in his hand, Which is what he had A/10 Suited, the other 2 players just Limp calling made me think that they were also playing Ace hands of some kind like A/K, A/Q, A/J or similar.
To be Honest if they had a Pocket Pair of A/A or K/K, they would have re-raised to isolate the player all-in, So my Pocket Pair of 8/8 suddenly got a lot more attractive. Initially I thought of folding the pair of 8s against an all-in shove, but if I was right and these other 3 players were all playing Aces then it was possible my hand was best before the Flop, (which was proven correct) So I called along with the first 2 limp callers.
The flop dropped Q,8,3, rainbow and being first to play I shoved the remainder of my chips all-in, the player UTG was already all-in so it went to the first player who had chips left and feeling he still had a chance to win called along with the 3rd and final player.
Low and Behold I had the perfect read on all 3 of them, A/10 suited, A/K and A/Q, My Trips Held up and I was thrown into Chip Leader in the Tournament.
Now the problem arises, Was it Luck? Skill? or just my Gut instincts that Won that hand? I really didn't care, because I was Chip Leader at that point.

F

fundiver199

Legend
Loyaler
Total posts
Awards
Chips
I would not be folding JJ to this action, and certainly not in a freeroll. I will even discount QQ-AA a lot here, because if those hands went for a limp-reraise, it would usually be to a smaller sizing, since they want action. A limp, then jam over a raise, is usually a hand exactly like the one, he had, or in the worst case a hand like AQ, which you are a slight favourite against. So even in a normal tournament, I snap call here, and in a freeroll there is not way, I am ever folding JJ to that action. Also you got it in as a 4:1 favourite, and ultimately thats as far as our control over the game goes. Bad beats are part of the game and can not be avoided.

L

luk0123

Rock Star
Bronze Level
Total posts
Awards
PL
Chips
I really enjoy all of yours responses. They convince me that I am in a good path to become a good poker player amd that bad bets just happen and they are part of the game.

V

valanddon

Legend
Platinum Level
Total posts
Awards
CA
Chips
Two many cards that beat poket JJ,s. You should just call and see what the rest of the table does.

LaNimmer

LaNimmer

Visionary
Bronze Level
Total posts
Awards
CA
Chips
It's understandable when your strong hand gets beaten by a relatively weak hand, especially when your opponent has played their hand badly.

You should aim to focus on whether you made the right call based on the range of hands your opponent could have, rather than whether you ultimately end up winning the hand or not. I would make a note on this player and wouldn't hesitate to snap call with JJ if he did something similar in the future. Good luck!
Hard to determine a villain's range in just a few hands. Plus his range is AA - 72o. The horrible truth is, he's likely to get paid off. Going all in, in this situation with JJ- Go for it as it is a crapshoot anyhow!

yogo9

yogo9

Visionary
Bronze Level
Total posts
Awards
DZ
Chips
JJ is the nightmare hand ,you bet big or raise with jacks but if someone goes way over the top you need to get out of there. I would say it's the same with QQ. if someone 4 bets and another person calls, that's another sign that JJ is not the best hand.

christovam

christovam

Visionary
Platinum Level
Total posts
Awards
BR
Chips
Hello All,

I'd like to share with you and ask for your comments/suggestions. Yesterday I played our daily CC freeroll. In the first couple of hands I managed to add to my stack around 300 chips. I think it was before 10th hand that I got JJ. I was on button. At least 5 players limped bb. I raised to 4 bb. Everyone except one villain folded. He went all in. Taking under consideration that first he limped and it was early stage of the tournament I decided to check him. It was either gertti ng a really nice stack or leaving early. It appeared that he had 55. But the flop braught another 5 amd he won.
What do you think? Should I fold pre flop or rather it is something to forget.
Then I was left with 200 chips. In 2 or 3 hands I got again JJ. So at it was for me only all in case as otherwise I would be out in a couple of rounds anyway. 2 players checked and I one of them had AK and got K on the flop amd A on the river.
Usually at the start of a tournament the villains play aggressively and unprofessionally. They'll play anything to double up and move on. In this case, I think you were right to call all-in, as you would only be losing to three hands in a very wide range.

BelFish

BelFish

Legend
Loyaler
Total posts
Awards
BY
Chips
Also you can use notes on different players. Sometimes you should fold JJ, but against fishes with wide ranges you must go all-in...

M

mssmotilda

Visionary
Platinum Level
Total posts
Awards
Chips
I think you did everything right for freerolls, because there will be a lot of pocket players limping from early positions. pairs below yours who will play like this and you will play 80 to 20, and there will be much fewer strong hands in this range, and you will win 4 out of 5 such all-ins at a distance

makisaa

makisaa

Legend
Loyaler
Total posts
Awards
GR
Chips
It was early in the tournament to go all in. Why to be exposed to the danger to leave the game so early, as it unfortunately happened to you. Then going all in with JJ, it is an option for example at the late stages of the game where you use all the good hands and the game is on fire! In other times it depends from the situation.

Bummy

Bummy

Rock Star
Platinum Level
Total posts
UA
Chips
Usually pairs like JJ, QQ, AA and KK I just 3bet/raise, I almost never fold them, but there have been times when 5 players at the table have moved all in and I still folded my AA. And it was the right decision as many went with different cards like 68 peak or 10J diamond and there was just a flush. So it, I will say that it is better to go all-in only with small chips or when there are already few opponents.

UngureanuDan

UngureanuDan

Rock Star
Platinum Level
Total posts
Awards
RO
Chips
My opinion this is the worst hand in the game. JJ all in pre 80% to lose. Hehe