Jacks

wobb803

wobb803

Enthusiast
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
I am in middle position in a $1.00 $2.00 no limit game and the average player has $200.00, It went fold fold fold, my turn to act, bet pot, $7.00, call the $2.00 or bet more than pot?????

Genso Hikki

Genso Hikki

Cardschat Elite
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
I'm confused. When it's your turn to act, you bet the pot and then the next person bet $7? So you bet $3 and he raised you to $7?

If that's the case, do you have any reads on the raiser? What I do with Jacks in this position is very dependent on who's in the hand with me.

P

ph_il

Silver Level
Total posts
Awards
Chips
I'm confused. When it's your turn to act, you bet the pot and then the next person bet $7? So you bet $3 and he raised you to $7?
The OP is asking what he should do in position with JJ when its folded to him.
Bet pot size? Limp in? Bet $7? Overbet pot size?

Just make your standard raise here with JJ.

Genso Hikki

Genso Hikki

Cardschat Elite
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
The OP is asking what he should do in position with JJ when its folded to him.
Bet pot size? Limp in? Bet $7? Overbet pot size?

Just make your standard raise here with JJ.

OOOO...

Thanks.

And I agree. Standard being about 3.5x BB. I any event, don't limp!

J

josh_dei8

Rock Star
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
Don't slow play them, it will kill you in the end. Make a 4x raise so you can weed out the rif-raf and go from there

P

Pokertron3000

Available for parties
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
So would you guys ever limp Jacks say in early position or if the table is very tight or if everyone thinks your tight and you think they will fold?

jdeliverer

jdeliverer

Legend
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
So would you guys ever limp Jacks say in early position or if the table is very tight or if everyone thinks your tight and you think they will fold?

Only if you want to play for set mining value. Usually I would raise 4BB from early position with jacks to try and reduce the number of people with position on me.

Jacks seems like too strong a pair to play for sets.

Ronaldadio

Ronaldadio

Legend
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips

Nope. Unless u hit your set on the flop, if a Ace, K, Q hits u have a decision to make. If u raise and u get callers, u would bet about 1/2 pot continuation bet. If u get called u have to worry. if u get reraised u fold.

IMO, JJ is a hand where on a full table acting early I would be happy to pick up the blinds or acting later I would put a massive raise in vlots of limpers.

wobb803

wobb803

Enthusiast
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
Thank you for all the feedback!
I like to bet the pot, I don't really want to just want to pick up the blinds, I like to pick the blinds with hands like 3 7 off.
I want action with jacks, especially when a jack flops, oh yea! :cool:

wobb803

wobb803

Enthusiast
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
But then again, you know the ol' saying........

'""""there are 3 ways to play jacks, and they are all WRONG"""

rwilson

rwilson

Rock Star
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
No point limping with them into an unopened pot. Even if your raise forces everyone else out it's better to pick up the blinds than give someone a free flop with low suited connectors or ace-rag or something.

If there's a lot of limpers already in a pot then I might just limp in with them and hope for a low flop or to hit a set. Otherwise I'll raise 10's or J's to try to play them heads up or in a three-way hand at worst.

They're impossible to play at the best of times.. but I try to assess the situation and then either play them very strong, or very weak. There's no in between!

shinedown.45

shinedown.45

Legend
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
I am in middle position in a $1.00 $2.00 no limit game and the average player has $200.00, It went fold fold fold, my turn to act, bet pot, $7.00, call the $2.00 or bet more than pot?????
Raise to $7-8 to weed out the weaker hands.
The problem with not raising with any large PP in MP is you let too many weak hands in, including the blinds.

eg: Say you limp in and there are 2 more limpers behind you and BB checks, flop comes 462 rainbow, SB and BB check, action is to you and you will obv put a bet in and 2 folds and BB just calls, turn card is a 10(another good cards for you), this time BB bets, you're not scared of the 10 so you come over the top of BB and he calls again, now depending on the size of your reraise, you may be able to put him on something like an overpair to the board or even A-10 at this point, the river comes J, now you have a hand which beats any overpair villian may have or any trips he may have , so BB again checks, you put in a nice pot sized bet at this point and villian comes over the top of your bet by pushing his remaining stack in and you call thinking you have him beat.
Villian turns over 35os and now you're kicking yourself for not raising preflop which would have chased the BB out of the pot.
If you constantly limp in with PPs you suffer from FPS(fancy play syndrome) and that will kill your BR more often than not.

N

ninet7

Rising Star
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
ive learned there are two ways to play jacks and there both wrong lol
best bet is to determine table image raise if loose and slow play if tight to see if a set will come

K

KillerBoo

Enthusiast
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
Maybe I´m wrong about this.. but isn´t this a cash game hand? It´s posted in tourney analysis but it looks to me as if it´s a CG?
Anyway, assuming it´s CG, make a pretty strong bet like 3/4 or 1/1 pot size. If you get a caller or 2, fine. Take it from there depending on what the flop brings. But if you just limp, you need a reason for doing so: Either you are scared and don´t really want to play those jacks in a large pot against a player who has pos on you, or you limp with the intention of re-raising any raise. And if noone raises, then you are dead meat unless you flop a real monster. Since you flop a set like 1 of 7 times, I guess a limper will have to fold to any bet on a "scary" board 6 of 7 times. And get screwed on a board that doesn´t APPEAR to be scary. Lke the already mentioned straight. If you want to play those jacks, I suggest you PLAY them, dont let THEM play YOU.