ITM, 3.40 turbo

NineLions

NineLions

Advanced beginner
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
I think I'm starting to get a feel for these, but I'm obv far from skilled at these yet.

I think I call too much, but in order to stop, I need to get a better handle on when to raise/push, as well as when to fold. Comments on how this hand played out?

pokerstars Game #11280862990: Tournament #57230789, $3.00+$0.40 Hold'em No Limit - Level VIII (200/400) - 2007/08/02 - 23:48:02 (ET)
Table '57230789 1' 10-max Seat #7 is the button
Seat 3: govols528 (6465 in chips)
Seat 7: b0bby 0gata (2560 in chips)
Seat 10: Ninelions (5975 in chips)
govols528: posts the ante 25
b0bby 0gata: posts the ante 25
Ninelions: posts the ante 25
Ninelions: posts small blind 200
govols528: posts big blind 400
*** HOLE CARDS ***
Dealt to Ninelions [8c Qs]
b0bby 0gata: folds
Ninelions: calls 200
govols528: checks
*** FLOP *** [6h 5s 7d]
Ninelions: bets 400
govols528: raises 800 to 1200
Ninelions: calls 800
*** TURN *** [6h 5s 7d] [Qh]
Ninelions: checks
govols528: bets 1600
Ninelions: calls 1600
*** RIVER *** [6h 5s 7d Qh] [Js]
Ninelions: checks
govols528: checks

B

bw07507

Legend
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
I rarely ever limp in from the small blind when the blinds get so high in these if it is folded to me. If I had just completed the SB I would have probably check/folded this flop. As played I think I check/shove the turn if he bets. If he checks behind, reevaluate on the river.

J

jeffred1111

Visionary
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
I raise preflop for sure, you have a fair hand and it was folded to you. Do not give the BB a free look at the flop, especially since you are almost equal in chips. Preflop, this is a fold/raise situation, completing when blinds are high, unless you have a big hand and want to induce a steal, is questionnable (you complete with AQs and resteal when he raises). You get raised at least 35% of the time if villain is observant or if he hasn't seen you limp big hands, and when he checks, you have little fold equity on the flop since you have shown no strength.

As played, I would check/fold (or possibly check/call or check/raise) the flop since we have two overs and an open-ended. Betting into an opponent in this spot screams "I'm trying to steal here" and any LAG or tricky TAG will raise you if they have paired or are in the same situation as you. This situation is very much read dependant.

On the turn, villains' bet is either with a made hand or a "fold please" bet. I push here probably since we have paired and have outs if he has made a smaller straight (wich I now would very well doubt).

Interesting hand for sure that has a lot of ways to be played, but I still think the best way would have been to steal preflop or to just plain fold the flop unless villain was c-betting everytime it was checked to him. At this level, very few try to get tricky (especially big stack against big stack) and it is quite possible villain has made a set, two pairs or the straight.

Last edited:
mrsnake3695

mrsnake3695

I'm confused
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
preflop-raise

postflop bet screams I am weak but I want to get the pot as cheaply as possible. His raise could be a small pair, straight draw, 2 overs or simply "you have nothing, I know you have nothing give me the damn pot". You have no way of knowing as played.

The turn is a reraise shove, it looks like you have the best hand and a good draw even if you don't and villan could easily have a draw which means you will only get his money on the turn when he still has a chance to hit.

His river check probably means a missed draw and he's giving up on the pot or a small pair that he hopes is good.

NineLions

NineLions

Advanced beginner
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
Thanks for the thoughts.

Looks like a consensus for raising preflop, which was probably second on my list of places to do more in this hand.

The point that I thought I missed doing more was I thought that I should have pushed the turn, having TP and the draw.

Not to be results oriented, but he had 42o, so he was drawing as well. And in retrospect, for him, the flop raise was unusual.