C

cartonand

Enthusiast
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
Me UTG open raise 2bb with 78h suited, CO calls, BB calls,

flop comes 6c 5c 5s, I open 1 bb, CO raise 2 BB, BB called, I call

turn comes 9c, I bet a little bit over half the pot.
CO fold, BB calls

river comes As.

BB check, I bet 1/4 of the pot.
BB all in. I call. BB has 65 offsuit. He win.

BB slows play an full house. Should I check the river also not value betting?

Here what I was thinking when I play this hand. BB is a newer player, I don't have any information on him. He calls after CO raise. I put him on a draw hand. CO is a loose player. When turn comes, I made a straight. So, I bet half the pot to see where I stand. CO of course fold. BB calls. Even if BB all in here, I would still calls. He check on the river when A come, I value betting here. He goes all in. What you guys think?

After I rethinking about this hand, maybe I should check as well. Because, when I bet half pot in the turn, most good player would fold a draw hand. When BB calls the turn, he should have at least 3 of kind or even two pairs. I should check as well, because the hand strength he shows in the turn too dangerous.

S

Sidetracked

Legend
Bronze Level
Total posts
Awards
Chips
It does seem as if you over valued your straight on a paired board with a possible club flush.

I think checking behind the river is good there.

300HPGOD

Legend
Platinum Level
Total posts
Awards
Chips
I dont like opening this hand UTG. I think it should be a fold. As played then on the flop, 1 BB is way too small a bet here if you are going to bet. I think you should be betting here to try to take the pot here because many turn cards you will not like but you should make that bet around half pot give or take a little either way. As played with the CO raising you here only 1 BB which is odd to me I see no reason to do anything other than just call it.

On the turn you donk lead into the CO who raised last round is what it sounds like. With the flush completing on the board and already a paired board I would still think my straight is strong but I would be a little weary of it. I definitely would not treat as the nuts because it isnt. Leading here I think is fine as long as you are willing to be able to bet fold. I am not saying to always fold that if you are raised since some would raise 5x there but there should not be too many 5xs in the hand based on that you raised pre. In fact one of the main ones would be 65 which we are getting crushed by.

On the river we are down to two players since the CO folded on the turn. After the BB checks I do like a bet here as you can get worse (5x) to call however now it is a definite bet fold spot if you are raised or jammed on. Once you get check jammed on the river we are not in great shape. We beat the 5xs which two of the main 5xs that would call a raise pre would be 65 and A5 which both got the boat. We lose to flushes which should not be raising us due to the paired board but could be. We lose to the aforementioned boats. I dont like my chances here too much anymore with the straight. It blows that we have to fold this but some bets we have to take at face value and not think people are bluffing or overplaying their hand all the time.

H

hellomynameiswhat

Rock Star
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
I think it depends on what stakes you are playing. I would want to know if it was cash or tourny. Also if a tourney what stage. Also your stack size. If you are desperate then it makes sense to do what you did. Also if you are just starting a low stakes tourney then maybe it makes sense since you have not invested a lot of time or money. That all being said, in general I agree with the other two. Boat is of course more rare than flush. You are facing both. If you were just facing flush or just boat you would have a slightly better chance but you are facing both. Even if it was just one it is not a clear shove. I think I generally play this type of hand too loose, but I think I should fold it more. I would try to bet some but not so much that you can't fold.

F

fundiver199

Legend
Loyaler
Total posts
Awards
Chips
Some information about stack sizes etc. are missing but lets look at the hand anyways:

Preflop
Assuming 7-9 players on the table, 87s is just a fold UTG. Playing to many hands from EP is a big leak.

Flop
You got bailed out by flopping an OESD, and I like a C-bet here. With 8 high you have no showdown value, so whatever you get them to fold, its good for you. Your sizing is very poor though. With antes the pot was almost 8BB, and you bet 1BB, which is a completely meaningless bet. They are not folding anything to this size, and you want folds. 4-6BB will get the job done. Now someone click it back, which considering your sizing is also very silly, but at this point I think, there is not enough fold equity, so just pay the 1BB and see a turn.

Turn
You made your hand, and given that the flop action was silly and meaningless, I am ok with just betting out for value. Half pot seem fine.

River
Fine with betting for value again, but 1/4 pot is to small. Bet half pot again, so it looks consistent from turn to river. 1/4 pot need to get called twice as often as 1/2 pot to make the same profit, and very few players are that elastic. Now you get raised again, and knowing the sizing is kind of important. But if its for any substantial amount like giving you 3:1 or worse, often this can be a bet-fold, because people are not raising anything worse for value, and they are also not bluffing very often. The hand is a little bit ****ed up because of your sizing though. 1/4 pot looks very weak and can induce some spazz or overvaluation of trips, so because of your sizing mistake, you probably have to call and pay him off.

Conclusion
The main issue in this hand is your bet sizing, where you bet way to small on both flop and river. Sizing better will not protect you from getting coolered, but it will win you a lot more in the long run. And on that river it can make bet-folding a much more viable line against opponents, who are more or less face up.

jaworek1405

jaworek1405

Legend
Bronze Level
Total posts
Awards
Chips
Hello, I agree mostly with guys. I know that hands like 87s from utg position play professional poker player. It is very advanced strategy and I don't recommend this strategy for beginner player. As played - I also think that bet on the flop for 1bb seems a little weak. Opponents play sometimes like you and for me it seems usually weakness. It seems that you want see cheaply the next card. On the turn complete the flush and I think that better bet on the turn bet for about 50% of the pot and to have initiative in this situation. If opponent play check on the river I think we should take also check, because of flush on the board. As played on the river I think we should fold, because of flush. GL :)

Jon Poker

Jon Poker

Legend
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
Mistake one - opening too loose utg.

Mistake 2 - betting 1bb into a 7bb pot into multiple villans - size up, go like 2.2bb - 2.5bb if you are going to cbet.

Turn card is a good one - we hit what we were looking for - i like your choice of bet sizing being a little more than half pot - 55-65% pot here is good.

River is relatively inconsequential - we should always be value betting our straights and other made hands here - going so small like 1/4 pot I do NOT like...we leave too much value on the table when our villan has a bare 5 like 45s or 57s, K5s, etc - we get floated a ton by Ax who happens to get there on the rivern we can get value from that too. So I would bet 60-70% pot on this river.

The jam sucks - never something we are in love with but we really only lose to a few FH combos - so we HAVE to call off here. The end result is just a cooler. Is what it is - such is poker.

M

Mahdi

Rock Star
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
Mistake one - opening too loose utg.

Mistake 2 - betting 1bb into a 7bb pot into multiple villans - size up, go like 2.2bb - 2.5bb if you are going to cbet.

Turn card is a good one - we hit what we were looking for - i like your choice of bet sizing being a little more than half pot - 55-65% pot here is good.

River is relatively inconsequential - we should always be value betting our straights and other made hands here - going so small like 1/4 pot I do NOT like...we leave too much value on the table when our villan has a bare 5 like 45s or 57s, K5s, etc - we get floated a ton by Ax who happens to get there on the rivern we can get value from that too. So I would bet 60-70% pot on this river.

The jam sucks - never something we are in love with but we really only lose to a few FH combos - so we HAVE to call off here. The end result is just a cooler. Is what it is - such is poker.

no more can be said about this hand

marvinsytan

marvinsytan

I'm going to win The PokerStars Sunday Million
Loyaler
Total posts
Awards
PH
Chips
im defo value betting here but not 1/4 pot way too cheap

i will bet 3/4 pot and definitely snap calling rejam

can't get away from this set up

this is the time i will just blurt out a loud SIGH, not again

Vallet

Vallet

Legend
Platinum Level
Total posts
Awards
Chips
You thought you were ahead, but you were actually a few steps behind. The size of the stacks is unknown unfortunately, so it is difficult for me to draw conclusions. The 1/4 of the pot bet tells us that you have become wary of the opponent's hand. You blame yourself for not making the check. So why do you have to go all in on the river? You have to give credit to the player on the big blind. He was just waiting for someone to gather a hand and refill the pot.

Four Dogs

Four Dogs

Legend
Silver Level
Total posts
Awards
Chips
I hate your pre-fop bet size
I hate your flop bet size
I hate your turn bet size

B

BatOneHat

Rock Star
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
Tournament??

Me UTG open raise 2bb with 78h suited, CO calls, BB calls,

flop comes 6c 5c 5s, I open 1 bb, CO raise 2 BB, BB called, I call

turn comes 9c, I bet a little bit over half the pot.
CO fold, BB calls

river comes As.

BB check, I bet 1/4 of the pot.
BB all in. I call. BB has 65 offsuit. He win.

BB slows play an full house. Should I check the river also not value betting?

Here what I was thinking when I play this hand. BB is a newer player, I don't have any information on him. He calls after CO raise. I put him on a draw hand. CO is a loose player. When turn comes, I made a straight. So, I bet half the pot to see where I stand. CO of course fold. BB calls. Even if BB all in here, I would still calls. He check on the river when A come, I value betting here. He goes all in. What you guys think?

After I rethinking about this hand, maybe I should check as well. Because, when I bet half pot in the turn, most good player would fold a draw hand. When BB calls the turn, he should have at least 3 of kind or even two pairs. I should check as well, because the hand strength he shows in the turn too dangerous.

Where you in a tournament or just playing in around? If tournament, depending on where you where, all in is the call. You did not over play.

Starting Hands - Poker Hand Nicknames Rankings - Poker Hands