in tourney play?

C

chalk

Rising Star
Bronze Level
Total posts
Chips
when do yall feel a gamble is needed? say your in the money get reraised all in and you have 88 and have them on 2 over at what point do u say time to gamble and flip that coin?

S

Shandy

Rock Star
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
Personnally i like to try to keep my stack above the average, and for the example you give i am probably calling this in most situations, the only thing which may stop me is if we are reaching a new pay level, and i can easily reach it if i dont call, or if i am one of the big stacks and it is one of the other big stcks who has pushed allin, i may feel that i still have enough room to play and have no need to risk going out now.

stormswa

stormswa

Legend
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
chalk no one can answer this.

there are tons of things we would have to know 1st, what are blinds, what is your stack, how many big blinds do you have, what is your position, who raised....etc etc etc.

if anyone answers this without knowing that well thats just pointless.

stormswa

stormswa

Legend
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
Personnally i like to try to keep my stack above the average, and for the example you give i am probably calling this in most situations, the only thing which may stop me is if we are reaching a new pay level, and i can easily reach it if i dont call, or if i am one of the big stacks and it is one of the other big stcks who has pushed allin, i may feel that i still have enough room to play and have no need to risk going out now.

I hate to single you out but this is horrible!!!!

why would you blind yourself down even lower then you are just to make a couple extra dollars. We are trying to win here or accumulate chips for the final table. If you are just going to try to bubble the next level dont bother joining the tourney in 1st place.

Like I said we need our chipstack in relation to the blinds and our position to make decision.

C

chalk

Rising Star
Bronze Level
Total posts
Chips
this i think is a easy question to be able to awnser it is a question of when do you all think a gamble should be went for. you understand what iam asking? just at what point do you thinnk it is nessacery to gamble if you have a read and you believe its a coinflip, when is a good time to gamble at somepoint you need tobut if you are even with the guy who pushes

stormswa

stormswa

Legend
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
this i think is a easy question to be able to awnser it is a question of when do you all think a gamble should be went for. you understand what iam asking? just at what point do you thinnk it is nessacery to gamble if you have a read and you believe its a coinflip, when is a good time to gamble at somepoint you need tobut if you are even with the guy who pushes

again we can not answer that without your stack in relation to the blinds which is a huge factor on when to take coin flips.

if you have 25 bb then there is no reason to gamble but if you have 8 bb and guy does standard raise then yes its time to gamble with basicaly any hand on the button. There are tons of factors you need to think about other then just your cards.

I wrote article on this on forum but no idea where it is?

S

Shandy

Rock Star
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
Yeah i see what you are saying stormswa, but i think it can also be answered as a generalisation, which i did try to do, yes it does depend on a lot of factors, but i think staying above the average stack, does set a good benchmark for which you can base your hand selection on.
Also you disagree with me changing my play to reach the next pay level, and yes i partly agree that we don't want to get blinded away just to get to the next level (please note that i would not take this to extremes, and would play any decent hand if i thought i had a good chance of winning the pot), but in a tournament where 27 are paid,the pay level between 27th to 19th can be a 1/4 of what it is for 18th to 10th, so in this situation it can be the difference between 2 times the buyin and 8 times the buyin. Also i use this strategy as part of final table play, where the pay difference can be quite significant, (although i realise this wasn't what i was talking about in my original reply, so not a valid point in this discussion).

C

chalk

Rising Star
Bronze Level
Total posts
Chips
if you have 25 bb then there is no reason to gamble but if you have 8 bb and guy does standard raise then yes its time to gamble with basicaly any hand on the button. There are tons of factors you need to think about other then just your cards.
yeah but this is what type of awnsers i was looking 4. when people would think about it. but how about this senerio average stack has about 14k i got 18k got a read iam on bb i have 33 button pushes for all in he pushes almost every hand it folds to him but he got 19k so its my tourney but iam slightly over average but i know its a coinflip with this guy should i call and have a coinflip of a chance to be chipped up down to 50 people payed out 200

stormswa

stormswa

Legend
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
yeah but this is what type of awnsers i was looking 4. when people would think about it. but how about this senerio average stack has about 14k i got 18k got a read iam on bb i have 33 button pushes for all in he pushes almost every hand it folds to him but he got 19k so its my tourney but iam slightly over average but i know its a coinflip with this guy should i call and have a coinflip of a chance to be chipped up down to 50 people payed out 200

no I fold this everytime because at best you are a coinflip, small pocket pairs are the kinds of hands you want to be pushing with in position against smaller stacks. If you are a average stack why would you basicaly want to put your tourney life with another avearage stack on the line?

It would be much easier to pick on the small stacks and chip up.

and with 25 bb I would be happy to gamble with small stacks with hand like 33.