I sucked out bigtime on the bubble, but did i play it bad?

widowmaker89

widowmaker89

Visionary
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
meh, its not too bad of a play. I agree villian is folding everything but AA and KK here if the 4th player was really under a blind. This doesnt mean he is not raising other hands and trying to take the pot down. stealing blinds is very important in this stage and maybe thats what villian is doing. you bet 2600 to win 1200, even taking the equity out if it all you have to do is get him to fold 2 out of 3 times, which I think is reasonable. I like the play since he is folding more often than that unless he is a huge nit that wouldnt have raised without wanting to get it in, but that doesnt seem to be the case. Even if you lose you have a decent stack (right around tied for second) with seemingly 3 people left shortly. With everyone being so short stacked i like this play expecting villian to fold to get into the money before getting his money in against you.

Also, why wouldnt SB need to steal blinds 4 handed? This isnt a satty, him picking up the extra 600 chips would be 20% boost to his stack. Assuming SB isnt playing to money here of course he should still be stealing blinds.

baudib, why are you posting other hands that have little relevance here? You really beleive every min raise is the nuts at the end of these SnG that get shortstacked? Not to mention 4 handed vs 8 handed, BvB, middle of a MTT vs end of SnG...

R

RoTs

Enthusiast
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
See what got me was the read the other opponents were neither tight nor aggressive. So a min raise from the small blind into the chip leader screams I like my hand please reraise me.

widowmaker89

widowmaker89

Visionary
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
Well if the sb is only raising your BB with KK+ then you should not raise since he will blind himself out in 15 hands. You think he calls an all in with JJ here? That wouldnt be the greatest idea considering money is only a hand away. Everyone is so short, us included, that I would expect SB to be raising a lot wider than he will call an all in for considering next hand is money. Now if that guy was gone already this push would be retarded but I think we all know that.

10crow10

10crow10

Rock Star
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
It's a losing play in the long run and that is what poker is, your ability to be a winning player over the course of your poker career. One poster said, "if that's your style, you can play at my table anytime." Bingo.

You chose to mess with your equity, and in a SNG, that is wrong. I take this more of a brag post, than a strategy post. It's clear that you know it's a bad move.

AA should be pushing there as much as 63 should be folding, but that's another post.
Not a brag post for sure (though it is probably the worst beat i have ever put on someone). "if that is your style you are welcome to play at my table anytime" I tried to make it clear that i made this play based on a lot of different aspects, its not like everytime someone min raise's me i move in on them. It was a very unique situation based on the disconnected guy next to me with less than one BB. "AA should be folding there just as much as 63 should be folding" yes of course but remember one thing: I did the raising and he did the calling, I put him to what would have been an incredibly tough decision had he had any 2 different cards, my cards were Irrelevant. thank you guys for the opinions!

It's funny you say you want to know if people think you made a good play or are a lucky donk and the only posts you respond to are the ones who say you are a lucky donk. If your vague recollections of the situation are correct then both of your opponents have about 7.5BBs left and you only have 15BBs left. Even by doing a min raise he's putting almost a third of his chips in the pot. If the small stack is in BB next hand the SB doesn't need to steal and would only be playing with a premium hand, so IMO your read of him being weak is way off base. You made a bad read, a bad push, but got lucky.
When did i say i read him as weak? I didnt think he was weak but i also didnt think he had the nuts, i just thought he was folding anything that wasn't AA KK or possibly QQ.

Last edited by a moderator:
frisellan

frisellan

Rock Star
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
I would have been pissed. Taking risks is part of poker but you took an unnecessary risk even in that situation. thumbs down sucker

J

josh_dei8

Rock Star
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
If there is one ready to be blinded out, SB really should have folded preflop to hit the money. You have to have the guts to lay down a hand at this point to gaurantee the money. I see why you shoved, dont know if it was a good or bad play, but it was gutsy. You just got lucky in the end.