Did I play this right?

S

Styrofoam

Visionary
Silver Level
Total posts
Awards
Chips
final 2 tables of the 180 person SNG. I just recently showed down AA, but before that, i hit a lucky river to double me up, or out of the tournament...

anyhow:

pokerstars No-Limit Hold'em, $4.00+$0.40 Tournament, 400/800 Blinds 75 Ante (8 handed) - Poker-Stars Converter Tool from FlopTurnRiver.com

UTG+1 (t22250)
MP1 (t27834)
Hero (MP2) (t23496)
CO (t13317)
Button (t12725)
SB (t10184)
BB (t30892)
UTG (t16834)

Hero's M: 13.05

Preflop: Hero is MP2 with 4
spade.gif
, A
club.gif

3 folds, Hero raises to t3200, 3 folds, BB calls t2400

Flop: (t7400) 8
heart.gif
, 3
diamond.gif
, 4
diamond.gif
(2 players)
BB checks, Hero bets t5600, BB calls t5600

Turn: (t18600) A
diamond.gif
(2 players)
BB bets t2400, Hero raises to t14621 (All-In), BB calls t12221

River: (t47842) 4
club.gif
(2 players, 1 all-in)

Total pot: t47842

Results in white below:
BB had 3
heart.gif
, 3
spade.gif
(full house, threes over fours).
Hero had 4
spade.gif
, A
club.gif
(full house, fours over Aces).
Outcome:

slycbnew

slycbnew

Cardschat Elite
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
8 handed, I'm not keen on A4o from HJ... What was your pf bet sizing before this? Did the amount indicate weakness in BB's eyes?

I understand the flop bet - the board is pretty dry - but it does get over a third of your stack in on second pair. If the A didn't show up on the turn, and a scare card did, would Hero have been able to fold the turn to a bet (or the flop to a check/raise)? If yes, then the bet's fine - otherwise, does it make sense to check behind for pot control?

As played, once you catch 2 pair on the turn, I agree with the shove...

FWIW, I don't like Villain's check/call on the flop, I'd prefer a check/raise, esp. with the fd... but he did allow Hero to catch up to the point where Hero shoves with the second best hand, so it worked out for him (well, until the river card :eek: )...

S

Styrofoam

Visionary
Silver Level
Total posts
Awards
Chips
8 handed, I'm not keen on A4o from HJ... What was your pf bet sizing before this? Did the amount indicate weakness in BB's eyes?

I understand the flop bet - the board is pretty dry - but it does get over a third of your stack in on second pair. If the A didn't show up on the turn, and a scare card did, would Hero have been able to fold the turn to a bet (or the flop to a check/raise)? If yes, then the bet's fine - otherwise, does it make sense to check behind for pot control?

As played, once you catch 2 pair on the turn, I agree with the shove...

FWIW, I don't like Villain's check/call on the flop, I'd prefer a check/raise, esp. with the fd... but he did allow Hero to catch up to the point where Hero shoves with the second best hand, so it worked out for him (well, until the river card :eek: )...

I made the same raise in the same position with AA (which got shown down). The villain was a blind defender, and I felt he missed the flop. With a checkraise on the flop i probably let it go. There's no way i'm letting go on the turn.... and even thought durring the hand "if he's got the flush, he's got the flush"

thekazh

thekazh

Enthusiast
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
I see nothing wrong with your play...because...

...first of all you´re not looking for a call so you might as well be raising with 7-2.

...when you get the unwanted action and flop middlepair and your opponent just calls, then you turn 2 pair aces up, there is nothing you can do different in this hand.

The only one that played this wrong is your opponent... who should have re-raised you on the flop or at least push the turn when the 3rd diamond came

V

viking999

Visionary
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
The villain was a blind defender, and I felt he missed the flop.

Why make the play in the first place if the BB is a blind defender? This is one of the worst hands to have versus a blind defender. Your wins are to hit a big hand, which is very hard with A4, or risk 1/3 of your stack in a gamble that he didn't hit anything. And that's not to mention all the other players in the hand who could wake up with something. If getting heads up with A4o and a shallow stack is your best case scenario, you're in pretty bad shape.

The rest of the hand is ok, although I wouldn't necessarily bet the flop. I don't know why you say it's a dry flop. It's a pretty juicy flop for a blind defender.

EDIT: Sorry, it was someone else who said the flop was dry. My bad.

W

WurlyQ

Visionary
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
I don't like raising with A4o with 4 to act but the rest of the hand seems fine.

Cowboy8112

Cowboy8112

Visionary
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
You over bet PF, IMO. The A on the turn was the worst possiable card. You would have been correct to put him on a flush draw. Then after the turn you would have to have seen that you had 2nd best hand (aka loosing hand) Even tho he didnt have the flush draw he did have the best hand at every point until the river. You over bet week cards, wouldnt let go when you should have seen that you were behind. No you did not play this correctly, you just got lucky on the river.

S

Styrofoam

Visionary
Silver Level
Total posts
Awards
Chips
Why make the play in the first place if the BB is a blind defender? This is one of the worst hands to have versus a blind defender. Your wins are to hit a big hand, which is very hard with A4, or risk 1/3 of your stack in a gamble that he didn't hit anything. And that's not to mention all the other players in the hand who could wake up with something. If getting heads up with A4o and a shallow stack is your best case scenario, you're in pretty bad shape.

The rest of the hand is ok, although I wouldn't necessarily bet the flop. I don't know why you say it's a dry flop. It's a pretty juicy flop for a blind defender.

EDIT: Sorry, it was someone else who said the flop was dry. My bad.

ace high against a random hand isn't that bad.

Edit:

I do understand the reasoning behind folding here. I'm typically trying to steal the pot outright, and out-play my opponent on the flop if he calls. I understand i got lucky, but the reasoning is i'm trying to steal pots in this situation.

Last edited:
T

THGE

Enthusiast
Platinum Level
Total posts
Chips
In this situation I don't raise pre flope.
I think the BB call you trying put pression and get your chips.
After the flop if you check, he probably bet and would put more pression above you. Because of this your move was correct.
A in the turn give you a good opportunity to win this hand and the 4 in the river was fantastic.
You have luck in turn and river, but this is poker.

shinedown.45

shinedown.45

Legend
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
ace high against a random hand isn't that bad.

Edit:

I do understand the reasoning behind folding here. I'm typically trying to steal the pot outright, and out-play my opponent on the flop if he calls. I understand i got lucky, but the reasoning is i'm trying to steal pots in this situation.
It is totally understandable that you are trying to steal the blinds here, but with so many to act behind you, your ace was just too weak to try this from MP.
If you had been in LP, then it is warranted for a steal, but if you want to attempt a steal from EP/MP is it advisable to have a strong ace or better IMO.
This was a clear fold preflop.

H

heyyou01

Enthusiast
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
final 2 tables of the 180 person SNG. I just recently showed down AA, but before that, i hit a lucky river to double me up, or out of the tournament...

anyhow:

PokerStars No-Limit Hold'em, $4.00+$0.40 Tournament, 400/800 Blinds 75 Ante (8 handed) - Poker-Stars Converter Tool from FlopTurnRiver.com

UTG+1 (t22250)
MP1 (t27834)
Hero (MP2) (t23496)
CO (t13317)
Button (t12725)
SB (t10184)
BB (t30892)
UTG (t16834)

Hero's M: 13.05

Preflop: Hero is MP2 with 4
spade.gif
, A
club.gif

3 folds, Hero raises to t3200, 3 folds, BB calls t2400

Flop: (t7400) 8
heart.gif
, 3
diamond.gif
, 4
diamond.gif
(2 players)
BB checks, Hero bets t5600, BB calls t5600

Turn: (t18600) A
diamond.gif
(2 players)
BB bets t2400, Hero raises to t14621 (All-In), BB calls t12221

River: (t47842) 4
club.gif
(2 players, 1 all-in)

Total pot: t47842

Results in white below:
BB had 3
heart.gif
, 3
spade.gif
(full house, threes over fours).
Hero had 4
spade.gif
, A
club.gif
(full house, fours over Aces).
Outcome:

In my opinion you played it ok.... I wouldnt of pushed after the turn maybe he was on a flush draw... I just think you got lucky
FOR FUTURE USE U SHOULD FOLD A4