Did i play it right?

R

Rainking

Rising Star
Bronze Level
Total posts
Chips
I just played a $200 freeroll on poker.com and had made it to the last 50. the payouts started at 50th place but the difference between 50th and 20th was $1 i think.
I had Q♥10♥ and had two players behind me plus the blinds, all of them had less money than me so I went all in hoping to steal the blinds. The two right after me folded but the blindes called (both of them all in) SB had 36o and BB 44. Nobody got any help from the flop or the turn but SB hit a 6 on the river so he won the main pot and BB the side pot, leaving me with almost no money...

So, did I overplay my QT? I figured i had a pretty good chance to steal the blinds and even if I didn't I still had a decent shot at winning.

I did manage to triple up on another hand and finished in 8th place so I'm happy anyways, considering this was my second online tournament. (first one was the freeroll on paradise last night where i finished in 28th place... close enough to the money to really annoy me :) )

C

chicubs1616

Visionary
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
What were the SB and BB's stack sizes in comparison to the blinds? If most of their stacks are being put into the blinds, they WILL call with any two cards.

It seems like you didn't have that big of a stack if you almost went broke with this hand.

I would fold here and look for a better spot. If your stack isn't that big, I wouldn't really attempt a steal with less than a semi-premium hand (Q-10 suited is not in this category). Like I said, you WILL get called almost every time with any two cards so you want to have a significant advantage when you attempt a steal.

When your stack gets short, your "steal attempts" are going to get called down more often, so you need better hands to attempt this play with.

T

Turnovgrad

Rising Star
Bronze Level
Total posts
Chips
Those freerolls are turbos right? So if they are there arent that many BB, so I think your all in is right

liuouhgkres

liuouhgkres

Visionary
Bronze Level
Total posts
Awards
KH
Chips
depends on effective stack sizes. How many blinds you and others had?

M

madi10

Rising Star
Bronze Level
Total posts
Chips
It would really help if you tell us the size of the stacks.
If there is someone that acts after you with less than 10bb you cant steal the blinds, they will call with any descent hand.

If you have less than 20bb then better wait for a better hand i think. But if you have less than 10bb then all in is right.
If you have more than 30bb.... I dont like all ins with more than 30bb preflop. there is no reason to put your stack in danger.

elton015

elton015

Rock Star
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
I just played a $200 freeroll on poker.com and had made it to the last 50. the payouts started at 50th place but the difference between 50th and 20th was $1 i think.
I had Q♥10♥ and had two players behind me plus the blinds, all of them had less money than me so I went all in hoping to steal the blinds. The two right after me folded but the blindes called (both of them all in) SB had 36o and BB 44. Nobody got any help from the flop or the turn but SB hit a 6 on the river so he won the main pot and BB the side pot, leaving me with almost no money...

So, did I overplay my QT? I figured i had a pretty good chance to steal the blinds and even if I didn't I still had a decent shot at winning.

I did manage to triple up on another hand and finished in 8th place so I'm happy anyways, considering this was my second online tournament. (first one was the freeroll on paradise last night where i finished in 28th place... close enough to the money to really annoy me :) )
I don´t think so. You wanted to put pressure on the rest of the players with this shove but remember :the freerool players use to call even if you have Aces pair.Don´t precipitate yourself with all-in,see the flop first.

A

aleogura

Enthusiast
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
I think I play the game very well, at least it makes sense the moves etc, I just need to improve some things, including take calls from bad hands

E

Edvin55555

Rock Star
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
Now you know that in this kind of tournament they can call your steal with 36.
Next time try to steal in more tight way.

Jacki Burkhart

Jacki Burkhart

long winded rambler...
Silver Level
Total posts
Awards
Chips
I don't know what stack sizes are....but considering people were calling all in with 36o I'm guessing quite shallow.

anyways at 12-15bb effective and less QTs is a good shove there. the fact that it's a freeroll with meaningles pay jumps for a long time makes it an even better shove.

well played