Did I make the right call?

RiverNoHelp

RiverNoHelp

Rock Star
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
Hand #32903646-43 at Sun115pmTEC-039 (No Limit tournament Hold'em)
Powered by UltimateBet
Started at 25/Jun/06 13:54:38

gmann101 is at seat 0 with 6920.
buddy999 is at seat 1 with 1470.
StarrA is at seat 2 with 4290.
cc5801 is at seat 3 with 4755.
pat49 is at seat 4 with 6285.
jiwink is at seat 5 with 1300.
RiverNoHelp is at seat 6 with 2355.
aricu is at seat 7 with 3960.
skorz12 is at seat 8 with 2185.
Ryche-n-roll is at seat 9 with 2605.
The button is at seat 2.

cc5801 posts the small blind of 20.
pat49 posts the big blind of 40.
gmann101: -- --
buddy999: -- --
StarrA: -- --
cc5801: -- --
pat49: -- --
jiwink: -- --
RiverNoHelp: 4s 4c
aricu: -- --
skorz12: -- --
Ryche-n-roll: -- --
Pre-flop:

jiwink folds. RiverNoHelp raises to 80. aricu
folds. skorz12 folds. Ryche-n-roll folds.
gmann101 folds. buddy999 folds. StarrA folds.
cc5801 calls. pat49 calls.
Flop (board: 5s 6s 8s):

cc5801 bets 40. pat49 folds. RiverNoHelp calls.
Turn (board: 5s 6s 8s Qs):

cc5801 bets 140. RiverNoHelp calls.
River (board: 5s 6s 8s Qs 4h):

cc5801 bets 135. RiverNoHelp calls.

Showdown:

cc5801 shows 7d 3h.
cc5801 has 7d 5s 6s 8s 4h: straight, eight high.
RiverNoHelp shows 4s 4c.
RiverNoHelp has 4s 5s 6s 8s Qs: flush, queen high.

Hand #32903646-43 Summary:

No rake is taken for this hand.
RiverNoHelp wins 870 with flush, queen high.
----------------------------------------------------------------

CC tells me at the end of the hand that if I keep making calls like that i'll go broke.. I even said before I called I that I think he's got me but I'll pay him off.. He was giving me nearly 5-1 on my money and I had a flush(all be it a low one), I hit a set on the end, plus it wouldn't break me to call.. What do you think?

Dorkus Malorkus

Dorkus Malorkus

HELLO INTERNET
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
There's so much wrong with this hand I don't know where to start. ;)

- UTG+1 minraising preflop. What are you trying to acheive by doing this?

- Raise or fold the flop. His bet is weak, find out now whether it was weak because he's trapping or because he has a weak hand. Or just let your weak draws go. Calling with such weak draws is terrible - even if you hit they may well not be good (7s aside).

- As played, fold the turn. He's telling us he has a 4-high flush beat.

- If you've called the turn I suppose by whatever logic you used in deciding a call was correct you have to call on the river too.

I hit a set on the end

Ummm..... :eek:

Kenzie 96

Kenzie 96

Legend
Loyaler
Total posts
Awards
US
Chips
Don't much caare for raising with small pair's & I would have assumed higher flush & layed hand down.

RiverNoHelp

RiverNoHelp

Rock Star
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
There's so much wrong with this hand I don't know where to start. ;)

- UTG+1 minraising preflop. What are you trying to acheive by doing this?

I agree with you here..stupid bet on my part

- Raise or fold the flop. His bet is weak, find out now whether it was weak because he's trapping or because he has a weak hand. Or just let your weak draws go. Calling with such weak draws is terrible - even if you hit they may well not be good (7s aside).

I didn't hit my set but I do have a gut shot straight flush draw.. I often will raise when i'm on a draw but i figured if he's only betting 40 into the pot i'll just call and hope to spike the 7s here.. In hindsight my reasoning was probably flawed but he was making it so easy to just call and see what happens on the turn

- As played, fold the turn. He's telling us he has a 4-high flush beat.

Like I said earlier I know right here that i'm probably beat but he's making it so cheap to call and i've now made a flush.. Could he have a higher flush?..ABSOLUTELY!.. But why isn't he betting it?

- If you've called the turn I suppose by whatever logic you used in deciding a call was correct you have to call on the river too.

I made the decision to call with such a low flush on the river because he was giving me 5-1 on my money.. I'm sitting with about 2100 in chips.. If I call and lose I won't be crushed.. However if he's running an all out bluff or made a straight(which he did) i'm ahead.. You have to make a call like that when the pot is laying you such good odds.. I even told him afterwards if you bet the pot on the end there I fold..

Disregard the whole statement about me making my set on the end.. I was still involved in a tournament so I was clicking back and forth playing the tournie and trying to compose this.. I had a flush which totally negates the fact that I made my set on the end.. My donkey move for the day

Last edited:
Effexor

Effexor

Cardschat Elite
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
RiverNoHelp said:
Pre-flop:
cc5801 calls.
cc5801 shows 7d 3h.
CC tells me at the end of the hand that if I keep making calls like that i'll go broke..
Wait one minute, this is coming from someone calling a Preflop raise with a 7 3 offsuit? Ya, I'd take his advice seriously for sure.