Did I make a mistake here?

J

Jon BrokeOff

Rising Star
Bronze Level
Total posts
Chips
OK, hello to all, im trying to find out if i did something wrong.

Last night, in a pokerstars, $55 dollar MTT (500 or so players)

about an hour in....3000 chips start,

im about 6k chips, vs a guy with 7800 chips...

blinds are 25/50

in late position he makes it 3x the BB

i call from the button...with 99

flop K44 rainbow.

he checks...i bet 200 into a 375 pot. he calls...

turn is a 4.....he checks....I check.... river card is a 9

and he shoves me all in.....

i insta-call. to find out he had KK...

im going to say my preflop call, my flop bet, and my all in call, were all totally justified,

did i just get unlucky, or should i have laid that down?

Steveg1976

Steveg1976

Silver Level
Total posts
Awards
Chips
Sounds like he just slow played you early on to keep you around hoping you would catch something and you did. I would have done the same and gotten caught.

Genso Hikki

Genso Hikki

Cardschat Elite
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
Well, had he bet or check-raised you after the flop, you would have almost had to have put him on a King - maybe Ace/King or at least Queen/King given his pre-flop bet. But since he check/called, I think he was crafty enough to make it very hard for you to put him on a hand. The check on the turn is also quite deceptive. But I like your check there as well - it's clear you were being cautious (maybe giving him credit for a King or possibly a four?). The nine on the river was the worst card possible for you and I don't think there's anyway in the world you get away from this hand without losing all your chips now. His push was probably music to your ears after you boated. There's no way you're not going to call here. Even if he hadn't shoved, I'm fairly sure you would have re-raised anyway and all the chips would have gone in.

I don't think you did anything wrong. I think he played very deceptively and you got reamed on the river.

ratmantoo

ratmantoo

Visionary
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
You were slow played and unfortunately made a hand ..a good one too. The only hands beating yours are KK or 4x.

His play was good and he caught you. This happens. I would have fallen for it too.

Well played in any event

J

Jon BrokeOff

Rising Star
Bronze Level
Total posts
Chips
yeah, im thinking to myself basicially I had a "2inner" and a no outer there.

i dont calll anything on the river, unless i hit one of those 2 9's

reglardave

reglardave

Legend
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
You got a bad break, villain played it just right. Some days you eat the bear, somedays the bear eats you. This was the bear's turn.

DeuceMag

DeuceMag

Rising Star
Bronze Level
Total posts
Chips
The only thing I can think of is betting after the Turn, which makes him hesitate for a second thinking you may have quads. Just a thought, but, since he had more chips....it was inevitable.

OzExorcist

OzExorcist

Broomcorn's uncle
Bronze Level
Total posts
Awards
Chips
Ouch. You just got slow-played to perfection, not much you can do about it.

Making changes to your game based on this would, I expect, mean you'll be losing value on other hands where you aren't hit with a cooler. Bad luck.