• Start date
soccerfreakjj10

soccerfreakjj10

Rock Star
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
The situation is:

It's four-handed in a 9 player sit and go, 3 get paid, and Veronatoo (villain) has been playing solid tight, aggressive poker. If I fold on the turn I still have an M of 7, with some chips to play with.

On the turn, I value bet, but am immediately re-raised all in. The four cards to a straight flush are quite frightening, and there is still the A of clubs to be worried about.

With the all in the villain apparently believes she has the best hand. If this is true, I could beat any lower club besides the 4c and 9c. She would probably make this move with the Q or J of clubs but would she with the 10, 3, or 2? Seems doubtful.

IYO, should I/could I get away from this?

Side note: I min-raised the flop to induce a check from the villain on the turn if a club didn't come, or to win the pot right there if she was completely bluffing. - Any comments on this move would be welcomed too.

full tilt poker Game #4407062864: $5 + $0.50 Sit & Go (33415468), Table 1 - 80/160 - No Limit Hold'em - 23:16:33 ET - 2007/12/05
Seat 1: soccerfreakjj10 (2,525)
Seat 5: Hic Pimpin (4,490)
Seat 6: twiddy (3,430)
Seat 8: veronatoo (3,055)
veronatoo posts the small blind of 80
soccerfreakjj10 posts the big blind of 160
The button is in seat #6
*** HOLE CARDS ***
Dealt to soccerfreakjj10 [Kc 4h]
Hic Pimpin calls 160
twiddy folds
veronatoo calls 80
soccerfreakjj10 checks
*** FLOP *** [5c 8c 7c]
veronatoo bets 160
soccerfreakjj10 raises to 320
Hic Pimpin folds
veronatoo calls 160
*** TURN *** [5c 8c 7c] [6c]
veronatoo checks
soccerfreakjj10 bets 440
veronatoo raises to 2,575, and is all in
????????????

Last edited:
Steveg1976

Steveg1976

Silver Level
Total posts
Awards
Chips
Fold. You were check raised all in by a player you consider tight aggressive. Unless you think he is bluffing which it doesn't sound like from your post. You aren't even holding the nut flush, let alone he could have a straight flush. You would still have a M of 7 not good but not insignificant either.

Cheetah

Cheetah

Visionary
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
Very hard to get away from this. You are the small stack and if you folded, you would have a difficult battle to make the money.

Also, why would he re-raise so much? If he had a str8 flush, would he not try to keep you in the pot?

Steveg1976

Steveg1976

Silver Level
Total posts
Awards
Chips
Very hard to get away from this. You are the small stack and if you folded, you would have a difficult battle to make the money.

Also, why would he re-raise so much? If he had a str8 flush, would he not try to keep you in the pot?

I see so many people get a great hand and shove instead of being reasonable with his betting that I am not put off by all in shoves; unless they have been doing it a lot and obviously can't be getting cards that good. Besides that unless he is a fool that is a terrible board to try to bluff into, imho.

beechleaf

beechleaf

Rock Star
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
I think villan has a weak flush and a call is in order here there was no raise preflop and tight players usally will raise preflop with a ace Im thinking that the villan has a 10c and 9? for the str8

B

Bentheman87

Visionary
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
You should probably call. It looks to me like she has 8 4, 8 9, 7 4, or 7 9 and possibly hit the straight by "accident", and is now betting the straight on the turn for value. Earlier in the tournament when your M was a lot bigger you could probably get away from this hand but here you have to call.

soccerfreakjj10

soccerfreakjj10

Rock Star
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
thanks guys on your advice and analysis!

unfortunately, I did call and he did river the straight flush.

Very unlucky, but thats how it goes sometimes...

Cheetah

Cheetah

Visionary
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
Obviously we didn't tell you to fold or commit suicide. Don't be upset about the outcome. The worst you can experience is a temporary downswing!

soccerfreakjj10

soccerfreakjj10

Rock Star
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
right right the outcome is irrelevant to your analysis. Poker is a game of incomplete information and with the information available to me, it sounds as if I made the right call for the long run. In that hand referred to, obviously he had the hand, but that does not make a call incorrect :)

Just thought that you might be interested in the outcome, even though it doesn't change anything.

Cheetah

Cheetah

Visionary
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
You should always post the outcome after we have had the chance to make behinds of ourselves:) This is the tradition:)

soccerfreakjj10

soccerfreakjj10

Rock Star
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
looool cheetah i was not aware of this tradition!

after i posted the results i realized it might have made the people who told me to call look bad, but I didn't think of this until it was too late.

Poker=game of incomplete information etc. etc. you know the story :)

V

viking999

Visionary
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
I'm confused, did he river the straight flush or turn it? Did you have the best hand when you called or not?

Anyway, I would have folded. I definitely don't call all-in on the bubble when I can only win on a fluke. Three different one card hands beat us, and they are all likely. Even Qc check-raising all-in here is a maniacal fluke play.

Next time switch the suits of your king and four and then call. :D

soccerfreakjj10

soccerfreakjj10

Rock Star
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
whoops yes he did turn it, one of his only outs too...

I called on the turn the reraise all in with the K high flush, he has the straight flush

S

switch0723

Cardschat Elite
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
regardless of your opening post note, there is no justification for a min raise. since your short stacked, either fold flop or push all in to put the pressure on him to make a tough call drawing to a low flush

soccerfreakjj10

soccerfreakjj10

Rock Star
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
regardless of your opening post note, there is no justification for a min raise. since your short stacked, either fold flop or push all in to put the pressure on him to make a tough call drawing to a low flush

Hmm at the time I didn't think I was too short stacked, starting the hand with an M of over 10. I think that is an M too high to be pushing that recklessly, but I could be wrong.

However I have executed this move perfectly in the past with a draw. I raise their bet on the flop and they flat call (or if they have absolutely nothing, they sometimes actually fold). 4 out of 5 times at least they check to me on the turn, letting me see a free card to complete my draw on the river. I view it as a 160 chip investment for a good chance at seeing a free card.

I read about this move somewhere, and I think it works much more often than it fails. It DOESN'T work, however, when your opponent turns a straight flush. :)

I might start a separate thread reviewing this move, I don't want to be doing a move like that if its that terrible.

S

switch0723

Cardschat Elite
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
i know what you mean about them checking to you on the turn and it is a good strategy doing what you did, but i have to say dont check the turn if it is checked to you, bet big to push him off the draw, he obviously is on draw otherwise he would have bet a different hand strong. The overall strategy is good, but you carried it out wrong.

Your stack size was decent pre flop but once you raise flop, if you dont hit flush you are suddenly short stacked, so make a decent raise. Im not saying your play was wrong since you had the right intentions. You just need to use your chips as more of a weapon