How would you play this hand?

K

KADARILLA

Rising Star
Bronze Level
Total posts
Chips
I was in a $330 Buy-in live tourny with about 200 people. It's late in hour 2 and the blinds are $100/$200. You are in the cut off w/AKs and the UTG raises to $600, What do you do? Lets say you smooth call, The SB, who by the way, has been very aggressive with very marginal or poor hands and raking pots i.e. calling PF raises ect...,he raises to $2500. the UTG folds. You have got about $4500 left and he's got abot $9K left. What do you do?:confused:

Stu_Ungar

Stu_Ungar

Legend
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
Fold

The call is worth about half your chip stack which means you are left with about 10 BB, which in turn leaves you pot committed.. so you are shoving against an agressive player who has already invested heavily in this pot.

AK against any pair is a coin flip

If he calls.. either way he isnt going out
but you very well could.

UTG has already raised which also signifies strength. He may have AA KK or even QQ JJ or AK

So he may also call.

That said you only have around 20 BB left!

I think the AK makes a great shove against the 600 raise but against 2500 the fold equity is much lower and the chances of at least some kind of hand are quite high.

Feel free to pick apart all of the above!!

houcowboy

houcowboy

Enthusiast
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
Stu has a great analysis.

I am a relatively conservative player and would fold the hand. I'm late in the tourney and doing well, no need to risk the entire game on a coin flip.

FatBasset

FatBasset

Rock Star
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
you said the SB has been "calling" with marginal, what has he re-raised with? Unless you have a read you should assume he has something. The next point is that he probably would not respect a re-raise by you since you only called on your turn to act. your decision then becomes what is show down potential of your hand? If he has what he is representing AA or KK you are drawing very slim. If he has any other pair you are less than 50% to win. If he has any two cards without an A or a K in his hand then you are 60-65% to win. If he has an A or a K in his hand then you are about 75% to win. All things considered you probably should fold unless it was more than 50% likely that he had an unpaired A or K in his hand.

Theblueduce

Theblueduce

Rock Star
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
I say fold......Hard to lay that down I know...but his re-raise is out of the normal range......A flaw in his approach so take advantage of that, save your money and get him with your position and skill later .

rwilson

rwilson

Rock Star
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
nutbreaking decision.. against a tight quiet player it's a pretty easy fold. Against the loose player you've described it's very very tempting to push it all in the middle. Mind you if you did it it would probably be the one time that he actually did have aces or kings!

What was your decision?

K

KADARILLA

Rising Star
Bronze Level
Total posts
Chips
I put him on either a total steal,(more than likely), or a small to med PP. I just called. Trash hit the flop and he went all in and had me covered. I folded. DUMB? I dunno. thoughts?:rolleyes:

K

KADARILLA

Rising Star
Bronze Level
Total posts
Chips
By the way....the UTG raiser in the hand said he had AQo...If that helps.:)

A-RAG

A-RAG

Enthusiast
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
The folder told you his hand before your decision?????

K

KADARILLA

Rising Star
Bronze Level
Total posts
Chips
No. after the break. Kinda made me feel better about my decision.

Starting Hands - Poker Hand Nicknames Rankings - Poker Hands