How should I have played this?

L

LizardDan

Enthusiast
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
Very close to nut flush, I knew one card could beat me. When my bet got raised, I assumed I figured it was a flush (player had been pretty tight) but on the lower end. Unfortunately, however....

Player darkden(UTG) calls (30)
Player jalappa44(Mid) calls (30)
Player Last1KO (CU) folds
Player tterb53 (BTT) folds
Player Macsdad96 (SB) calls (15)
Player LizardDan (BB) checks K♣ [4d]
*** FLOP ***:8♣J♣Q♣
Player Macsdad96 checks
Player LizardDan checks
Player darkden checks
Player jalappa44 checks
*** TURN ***: 8♣J♣Q♣7♣
Player Macsdad96 checks
Player LizardDan bets (60)
Player darkden raises (120)
Player jalappa44 folds
Player Macsdad96 folds
Player LizardDan calls (60)
*** RIVER ***: 8♣J♣Q♣7♣[8d]
Player LizardDan bets (240)
Player darkden raises (480)
Player LizardDan calls (240)
Player darkden shows [3d][ac] (Ace high flush)
Player LizardDan mucks cards
------ Summary ------

Advice is greatly appreciated :). It was a 6 table SnG $5 BI

P

ph_il

Silver Level
Total posts
Awards
Chips
The turn bet is fine. Ac, 9c, or 10c all possible there, as well as made flush.

Check-call river after being raised on turn.

W

walleye

Enthusiast
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
Hard to lay this down, but do you think he is betting 10c?

T

TryTo

Rock Star
Silver Level
Total posts
Awards
Chips
Right play. Some players when see the hint on the table, that they have flush, are ready to make any raise. With even deuce. He might have been one of them. I'm not sure I would fold even if he all-in'ed.

ribaric

ribaric

Visionary
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
Check-call on river would be good cuz you would loose less chips

S

slickster37

Rising Star
Bronze Level
Total posts
Chips
:cool: yeah.tough spot.I know i would have called all in (if i had played with the guy for a few minutes)to get a read on him...if it was first hand at new table...check fold..especially if he"s deep stacked.also depends on how close i am to the final table.good luck.

L

LizardDan

Enthusiast
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
I put him on a range of a pair that had a club or suited garbage because of how he limped in. I assumed if he had an AK or AQ he'd bet on the flop for the straight draw and/or nut flush draw.... When he turned over Ac 3d I was surprised to say the least :p. His double raise told me he hit the flush. At worst I thought I was dealing with a 9 10 connector.

Maybe I should have bet on the flop since I had an overcard and a flush draw? Although if I had Ac I would have certainly called that as well.

Ribaric I think the check-call sounds like the best plan for the river. I shouldn't have bet the river out of position, I simply didn't put my opponent on that kind of hand.

One of the leaks in my play, it seems, is that I get focused on my hand and assume it's best when it's not. For example, any 8 with a 7 J or Q would have beat me. A straight flush would have beat me and the Ac would beat me as well. I think checking on the flop was a mistake, but tenaciously betting, being raised, then calling was also iffy. Especially on the river.

Thanks for the advice by the way guys. Keep it coming! I am quite new to poker :)

ghOst

ghOst

Rock Star
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
Good job. He def. was giving the hint he had a made hand. He was an open book. Good job in reading that.

Poker Orifice

Poker Orifice

FoolsTilt
Platinum Level
Total posts
Awards
CA
Chips
Why would you lead river after being raised on the turn? (unless you just boated up ... but even then with villain clik-raising turn it'd seem like they've got Ac... so we could then go for check-raise (depending on villain).

In hand though... I think I'd try to fold pre even though we can just check a limped pot with us sitting in the BB... but that's because I can see that Macsdad96 is seated on that table & I would DEFINITELY NOT want to get into any postflop confrontations with that player (the guy's a BEAST!!)
:)