How to play this Hand.

M

Mwesty

Rising Star
Bronze Level
Total posts
Chips
I just started a $10+$1, 6-seater No Limit Tournament each starting with 1000 chips. My very first starting hand was AA. I put a small raise in, and got called by 1 player.

Did I play the hand correctly? Would you have played the hand differently? I went down to 500 chips I think after this hand, losing half my stack. I've gained a few hundred and back now and still playing.

Here's how I played it:-

> Game # 663,966,154 starting.
> Dealing Hole Cards
> Mwesty raised for 60
> CheckEm folded
> Brattigoal folded
> crnicrow folded
> shmizzak folded
> shifftie called for 40
> Dealing the Flop(10
¨J¨10ª)
> shifftie checked
> Mwesty bet for 120
> shifftie called for 120
> Dealing the turn(2
©)
> shifftie checked
> Mwesty bet for 300
> shifftie called for 300
> Dealing the river(10
©)
> shifftie checked
> Mwesty checked
> Mwesty shows a Full House, Tens full of Aces
(10
¨10ª10©A¨Aª)
> shifftie shows Four of a Kind, Tens
(10
¨10ª10©10§K¨)

Dorkus Malorkus

Dorkus Malorkus

HELLO INTERNET
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
Looks fine to me. Without a read on my opponent, the check-calling bothers me on a board like that, so I quite like the check behind on the river, as I can only really see a bad player's AJ/KJ paying me off with a worse hand if I push (KK/QQ would surely have reraised preflop, and I'm losing to JJ/Tx), and the pot is large enough as it is by then, so there doesn't seem to be much value in pushing.

Just one of those things. It's difficult to credit someone with flopped trips when they play it so passively and you have no reads.

M

Mwesty

Rising Star
Bronze Level
Total posts
Chips
I ended up finishing 2nd in that tournament and regaining my Buy-In plus $10 so it didn't turn out that bad in the end. What made it even sweater, I knocked shifftie out of the tournament. I had a straight draw and was at this point short stacked, the river returned the ultimate card making my hand a straight.

That first hand, I was first worried about the Flush Draw. The chance of him having a 10 after two 10's were already in the Flop was a very low percentage so a 120 bet was a tickler. I was hoping he had a Jack. After the Turn I thought to myself, right if he has a Flush Draw then I'm going to make it expensive for him to see the River. At the end of the hand I just felt that he wouldn't of called a 300 bet just to see 1 card for the Flush and calling with only having a pair of Jacks seemed very loose at the time; so at the back of my mind thought the small possibility him having a Ten was likely - thus the Check at the end.

I think with this being the first hand of the tournament it was a difficult situation to be in because I didn't know how my opponents played. To be honest, If I received the same hand now I would probably play it the same way, just maybe make the bet after the Turn a little lower and pray for a bit more luck.

Thanks for your reply Dorkus.

Nick

Nick

CC
Administrator
Total posts
Chips
Thread moved to the Hand Analysis forum. Welcome by the way Mwesty :)

M

Mwesty

Rising Star
Bronze Level
Total posts
Chips
Sorry, I didn't notice the Hand Analysis Forum.

Thanks Nick.

t1riel

t1riel

Legend
Silver Level
Total posts
Awards
Chips
How much of a small raise was it? I probably would have raised more and I'm not sure that player would have called it. If that player still owul d have called it then there was nothing you could do. The player got a lucky flop.

Starting Hands - Poker Hand Nicknames Rankings - Poker Hands