How to play this hand?

nc_royals

nc_royals

Visionary
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
First of all I apologize for not having the hand history for this but I would like to giver you the gist of it all. Early into a MTT, avg chip count is 3500 and I have around 1900. Blinds are 15/30. I'm in middle position with AK of spades. The first guy to act raises it to 80; I bump it up to 200; button calls me and original raiser folds. flop come K72 unsuited. I bet pot and the button calls. Turn is 10 and board is rainbow. I bet half the pot and am called. River is a blank and now im down to allin or nothing. I move allin and called with AA. He never come over the top of me with a reraise but did have position on me. I put him on maybe KQ suited or maybe even AK. Is there anyway to play this without going broke. Thanks for the help.

S

snrcreech

Rock Star
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
you were convinced you had won and you were being aggressive. he had no reason to come over the top cause he knew he was going to get the chips anyway. When he kept calling your agressive bets 2 pair or a set should have crossed your mind. But it's easy to get caught up in your big kicked and bet yourself right out of the tourney. Tough lay down to make

B

baconn

Enthusiast
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
He played his hand well, he put you on AK, KQ for sure and knew he was ahead at every moment. Very little you could have done besides checking the river.

c9h13no3

c9h13no3

Is drawing with AK
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
The main issues I see with the hand are as follows:

1) Your flop bet is a bit too large. With the board being bone dry, you're going to be folding out hands that have you beat with this bet. After he called that huge pot sized bet, a set of 7's went through my head.

2) I like checking this flop, and here's why: Its bone dry and we're out of position.

Villain's range is looking like so:

77+, AK, AQ, possibly AJs, KQs, maybe KJs. Possibly pocket pairs all the way down to 22.

AQ, AJ, KQs, and KJs and pocketpairs that haven't hit a set such as JJ are drawing VERY thin against us, and they will likely c-bet this flop if we show some weakness early on. Leading out for the whole pot does nothing but fold these guys away. Also, we're not worried 1 bit about giving a free card because there aren't any draws that have any real chance to hit. And checking the flop also possibly gives us a way to get away from a set or AA by keeping the pot smaller (although, I think I'm going broke here 99% of the time against AA. Your stack just isn't deep enough to lay this down & you want to get all your chips in by the river).

If you get a check behind you, then I feel its fine to lead out with a 75% of the pot bet on the turn.

So yeah, I think I go broke in this hand just like you did. However, a villain won't have AA everytime he plays like this. You need to make sure that your actions get value out of all of villain's range that you beat.

M

mavrick09

Rising Star
Bronze Level
Total posts
Chips
U played that hand perfixed, He my of put you on Trip K's and had to call because of the over pair.

M

mavrick09

Rising Star
Bronze Level
Total posts
Chips
Did I play this hand wrong?

Pocket 8's on button cash game no limit had about $300 in front $5 $10 blinds, I made it $50 got one caller, flop 8,9,10 rainbow. He checks I bet pot he calls turn J, he checks I wait a little while then checked River comes 2 he bets $150, Question am I pot commited im in around $200 with $100 in front of me do I call or fold ???? I folded, he didn't show but I put him on a a Big Q when he checked the Turn. Question should I of Called???? or did I do good move??

A

altruist

Enthusiast
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
First of all I apologize for not having the hand history for this but I would like to giver you the gist of it all. Early into a MTT, avg chip count is 3500 and I have around 1900. Blinds are 15/30. I'm in middle position with AK of spades. The first guy to act raises it to 80; I bump it up to 200; button calls me and original raiser folds. flop come K72 unsuited. I bet pot and the button calls. Turn is 10 and board is rainbow. I bet half the pot and am called. River is a blank and now im down to allin or nothing. I move allin and called with AA. He never come over the top of me with a reraise but did have position on me. I put him on maybe KQ suited or maybe even AK. Is there anyway to play this without going broke. Thanks for the help.
You said the river came a blank, and you had to push all-in. Why? The mistake in my opinion is on the river. If he has you beat, you're only giving him more chips.. why would you do that??

Pocket 8's on button cash game no limit had about $300 in front $5 $10 blinds, I made it $50 got one caller, flop 8,9,10 rainbow. He checks I bet pot he calls turn J, he checks I wait a little while then checked River comes 2 he bets $150, Question am I pot commited im in around $200 with $100 in front of me do I call or fold ???? I folded, he didn't show but I put him on a a Big Q when he checked the Turn. Question should I of Called???? or did I do good move??

You should make a new thread so more people can see your question.

I think you should've bet the turn or the river, simply for more information. Might not have helped you, but you indicated weakness on both the turn on the river.. telling him there's a good chance he can bluff you off your hand, or even that you have nothing. If you bet, you're telling him "I might have it." If you checked, especially the way you checked the turn, you're telling him "I'm scared."

Pot-comitted doesn't apply as much in cash games. You had about $300, you bet $50, then $100 on the flop. You have $150 in the pot and about half your stack left. Considering how dangerous the board is, and you have no information, folding seemed correct. The following likely holdings could beat you: 77, 99, TT, JJ, QQ, QJ, KQ, AQ. Without more information on your opponent, it's hard to make this call.

You be appropriately on the flop and the worse possible turn card came for you. Not much you can do.

nc_royals

nc_royals

Visionary
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
You said the river came a blank, and you had to push all-in. Why? The mistake in my opinion is on the river. If he has you beat, you're only giving him more chips.. why would you do that??

Why did i bet the river. Would you suggest a check and then a fold with top pair and top kicker with over 3000 in pot and me holding only my remaining 500. Would have to call his bet there, cant fold it then.

G

GivPeace

Enthusiast
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips

Correct fold if this was early on in your game, if you had some information on how he plays his draws and his pre-flop hand selections you could have put him 10A 10J, it would seem like it would take a very lose player to call your raise on the we were laying down 2-1 and his draw was 9.4-1... unless his hand was QA then he would be getting 2.5-1. How did you do in the tourney overall? In my opinion though if this was early on the pre-flop raise is some what heavy thats what makes you married to the pot in the end.

N

NateTrib

Rising Star
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
Unless the villain is a very tight player I play it the exact same way as you. If you noticed he's a very tight player, after he calls the pot sized bet on the flop. I check/call the turn and river, trying to keep the pot as small as possible, but probably end up getting all in anyway haha.

Starting Hands - Poker Hand Nicknames Rankings - Poker Hands