* * Q♥
* * Potsize: 18006
River:
* * 4♣
* * UTG shows a pair of Queens:
* * A♠ K♠
* * Hero shows a pair of Queens:
* * 9♣ A♥
* * UTG wins 20,306 chips from the main pot with a pair of Queens with King kicker.

Poker Hand Converter By Cardschat.com Poker Forum

This was something that has not happened to me before, but this time I got this hand while listening to a song I had listened to the last time I had gotten the same hand and drawn out against an dominating hand. Somehow this triggered my urge to call, how do you overcome this?

Part of the reason might be because I sometimes make very good calls with my gut feeling which is definately right most of the time, but here there seems to be a big difference between what my urge said and what logic was telling me on this hand. And obviously the urge won although logically I knew I was dominated or at the very best 50-50. Anyone have similar experiences?

Tammy

Tammy

Can I help you?
Administrator
Total posts
Awards
US
Chips
A raise UTG like that generally signals a very strong hand. Had it not been raised before it got to you, your stack in relation to blinds may have justified a push here, but with that raise from UTG, I say fold it and wait.

As for how to keep yourself from doing that...well, click fold. :p Seriously, you just have to smack yourself sometimes. And get rid of the notion of "lucky" hands, situations, etc. It will be your downfall.

flint

flint

Visionary
Silver Level
Total posts
Awards
Chips
Seriously it felt like I couldn't fold. If it had been A 10, I wouldn't have called. It was somehow the same music and same hand that put my brain on tilt resulting in a call.

Maybe I should try to come up with some sort of routine I take before I make decisions to ensure that the gut feeling and the logic meet.

That said I only made a couple of mistakes and almost made it into the money this time. Maybe next time I'll be ready to make some serious cash.

L

landy011350

Rising Star
Bronze Level
Total posts
Chips
ok , how much liquor was consumed ? DO NOT play sentimental hands.....
unless

L

landy011350

Rising Star
Bronze Level
Total posts
Chips
add to above post...
i am in the game. was that helpful?

OzExorcist

OzExorcist

Broomcorn's uncle
Bronze Level
Total posts
Awards
Chips
There's just no such thing as lucky hands - there are only reads and percentages.

Seriously, I've never understood the lucky / favourite hand thing.

Maybe next time you get the urge to play a 'lucky' hand, pretend you're Mr Spock or something, and tell yourself "That, Captain, is illogical"

flint

flint

Visionary
Silver Level
Total posts
Awards
Chips
The thing is that I don't really have lucky hands. Except for 8s - I love them, but I can quit playing them anytime I am beat (ie with over cards and no set). Obviously some switch in my brain was flipped upon seeing the same hand and hearing the same song almost believing that the hand was 'lucky' although logically I knew that I was behind.

Starting Hands - Poker Hand Nicknames Rankings - Poker Hands