V

VGkpoker47

Rising Star
Bronze Level
Total posts
US
Chips
Everyone limps BB2k

I’m on the button with A6(hearts) I x5 to 10k(87kbehind) , SB (has me covered) is the only caller.

Flops comes 9(D)3(S)6(C) , SB leads out 8k, I call.
Turn A(D), SB goes all in, I call with 2pair.

River brick 10(C)

He flips over set 333.

I just don’t understand how I can fold in this spot.

F

fundiver199

Legend
Loyaler
Total posts
Awards
Chips
Preflop
How many players were "everyone"? Depending on the answer to that, you could consider limping behind instead of trying to isolate. But ok the isolation worked, so lets just focus on postflop.

Flop
Pot must have been at least 26k, depending on how many people "everyone" was. He lead out for 8k, which is less than 30% pot, and yes you have to call that with second pair. Folding is to tight, and raising would be an overplay.

Turn
Pot is now at least 42k, and he jam for 69k more, so its an overbet. But even so this is still a call. Why do you think, you were supposed to fold? Losing is part of poker. When we are on the bad end of a cooler (strong hand running into an even better hand) and get stacked, we just accept it, and then we reenter or play the next one. Or reload if its a cash game. The goal in poker is to win in the long run. Its not to win every hand or every game.

Andrew Popov

Andrew Popov

Legend
Bronze Level
Total posts
Awards
Chips
No way. A pocket pair included in a set is not unreadable and practically unbreakable. You should risk or throw away any of your hands to aggression for fear that your opponent has gotten his set. This can only be solved by distance.

dreamer13

dreamer13

Legend
Platinum Level
Total posts
Awards
LV
Chips
The only way out of this situation is to accustom yourself to think for a while before each move, and not mindlessly press the button.But the game, and not just poker, has a catch. Every next time we probably don’t know that we will lose. Now, even though you say that you know the motive of your opponent’s bets, this is only revealed by the result, but hope lives on.

kon44

kon44

Visionary
Bronze Level
Total posts
Awards
GB
Chips
I think your mistake was raising the BTN after everyone limps. A6s isn't as pretty when you are called and flop the A. Well me personally wouldn't have raised and wouldn't have potentially ended up in the situation later down the line.

M

mclay

Visionary
Platinum Level
Total posts
Awards
KZ
Chips
There is a button at the table called fold, you press it and continue playing in the tournament.:) By the way, according to statistics, this is the most profitable button.

ADRI7HO

ADRI7HO

On the road...
Loyaler
Total posts
Awards
Chips
When many people look at the flop at the same time, there is a chance that someone will have some unimaginable strong hand (due to the many random card limps).
I too probably wouldn't have let my two pairs go either, but unfortunately, this kind of thing happens in family pots.

puzzlefish

puzzlefish

student of the donk arts
Loyaler
Total posts
Awards
CA
Chips
Think about what hands you beat that want to stack off on the turn like that. Do you think AK, AQ, AJ would play like that? Maybe flush draws that want to bluff you off your hand? You think maybe you beat A3?

eetenor

eetenor

Legend
Platinum Level
Total posts
Awards
Chips
Everyone limps BB2k

I’m on the button with A6(hearts) I x5 to 10k(87kbehind) , SB (has me covered) is the only caller.

River brick 10(C)

He flips over set 333.

So you think the SB leads worse than 2 pair on a board that is not strong for their overall range into a 5x btn squeeze and then stacks off turn when your card comes? What hands that we beat does this? What draws do this? What bluffs? That study exercise is the best for you to do as played.
FREE gto wizard lets us run 1 hand everyday-- If you ran this hand it would help with the range building exercise.

G0930

G0930

Captain Fathermucker, Satty Aficionado
Loyaler
Total posts
Awards
AT
Chips
You're right as soon as you made the button raise you made yourself pot comitted and you can't fold anymore.
A weak ace doesn't necessarily need to be raised, a call would have been just fine and left yourself the possibility to muck

Everyone limps BB2k

River brick 10(C)

He flips over set 333.

makisaa

makisaa

Legend
Loyaler
Total posts
Awards
GR
Chips
At the beginning everyone limps, which means you have many opponents, so you need a strong hand to continue. The sb is betting continuously and dynamically, and he must have something stronger which is a three of a kind. After the turn he goes all in which shows a great danger, where you could fold!

F

fundiver199

Legend
Loyaler
Total posts
Awards
Chips
Both OP and several respondents are incredibly results oriented here. Hero in this hand started with less than 50BB, and on the turn he had the second best possible two pair on a board, where no flush or straight was possible. Folding such a strong hand would be a big mistake in the long run, since people will show up with lots of worse hands. In reality the hand is just a bad beat story, and the title might as well have been "look how unlucky I am" :)

Matt_Burns88

Matt_Burns88

Legend
Loyaler
Total posts
Awards
GB
Chips
Everyone limps BB2k

River brick 10(C)

He flips over set 333.

First, I would say please use a full hand history or preferably a re-player (CardsChat has their own - https://www.cardschat.com/poker/tools/hand-converter/). This will make it much easier to see details of the hand such as number of players, stack sizes, etc. rather than us having to try to piece together all of this information to give you a fully detailed answer.

Pre-flop: Personally, I prefer a call with raggy suited A's most of the time, against multiple limpers. Generally if a game is playing like this, seeing a cheap flop with hands that either completely whiff or make the nuts/draw to the nuts is a good option as you can get away for the cost of 1bb, or take the weak, passive players to value town. But I think a raise is good also as you will quite often take down the pot and if you don't, you get to play the rest of the hand in position. BTW, I hate villains call here. With multiple players left to act behind him, this is a terrible spot for 33.

Flop: Villain shouldn't be leading here, but whatever. Perfectly reasonable call. Anything else would have been terrible.

Turn: This is an interesting spot, but I still think it's a fairly trivial call. You're in great shape against his overall range, but you have to realise that you by no means have an absolute lock on this hand. Even AA still loses some percentage of the time (like when the T comes on the river). As it happens, I quite like villains jam as it can look quite bluffy, especially on a relative brick turn card.

Overall I think you played the hand pretty much perfectly, maybe I would play preflop differently, but that doesn't mean you were wrong. Villain played poorly pre-flop and on the flop, and got lucky.

As Fundiver said above, you are being too results orientated rather than process/decision orientated. This is a mental leak that will cost you chips and money. You cannot control the cards, or the way your opponent plays, you can only control the decisions you make. Sometimes the cards will conspire against you and despite you making the best possible play, you still lose. That's why poker is the game it is and why the fish keep coming back for more. Embrace the fact that poor players will win hands, but good players will win tournaments.

Folding in Poker