how to be stupid

M

Mooronic

Enthusiast
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
2nd hand of live tourney. 2nd tourney for the night and probably a few too many beers in. (First mistake)

blinds are 25 / 50. First hand went down uneventfully so chip stacks are pretty even at 1500.

I'm on the bb and dealt Ks Qs

Everyone folds to the sb, who raises to 200. I call. (Second mistake)

Flop: Q 10 6 rainbow.

sb checks, I raise 200 (third mistake - too small a bet). sb calls.

Turn: J (rainbow board)

sb checks, I raise 300. sb re-raises all in...

...I was on tilt from being sucked out on the turn twice the previous tourney and also had to fold some pretty good hands to scary flops.

so I call. (1324th mistake)

of course, he had A K.

Anyone else get the occasional hand where at the time you thought you were in good shape, but as soon as the cards are flipped, you realize how terribly you played the hand from the start? For the most part, I know what & how I'm supposed to play, but sometimes I get these brain-farts that ends up making me the total ass.

pokerrqueenn

pokerrqueenn

Legend
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
oh yes we all have bad days or dumb moments.;)

Dorkus Malorkus

Dorkus Malorkus

HELLO INTERNET
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips

Why do you think this was a mistake?

I think the only big mistake was calling the turn push with top pair on a dangerous board. Preflop call is reasonable, flop bet might be a little small but is still reasonable, turn lead is okay, but once villain pushes you have to know you're beat.

M

Mooronic

Enthusiast
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
Why do you think this was a mistake?

I think the only big mistake was calling the turn push with top pair on a dangerous board. Preflop call is reasonable, flop bet might be a little small but is still reasonable, turn lead is okay, but once villain pushes you have to know you're beat.

K Q isn’t that great of a hand (not a bad one either), but normally I wouldn’t want to spend 150 more for a pot of 400 to see a flop. Generally, I’m a pretty conservative player.

I should’ve bet at least the pot on the flop. I don’t know if he would’ve folded his A K to it, but I would’ve gotten more information from him that might’ve helped me make the decision to fold vs. making my shameful exit.

loopmeister

loopmeister

Rock Star
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
This is essentially a heads-up hand.

Put yourself in the SB position here. Everyone folds to you, with just the BB left. How often do you raise with average hands to try and steal the BB?

Now, playing BB, a raise from SB doesn't mean much, for this reason. HU, KQ is a great hand.

So you played it fine, up until the all-in call, as DM has said.

V

vansmiff

Rising Star
Bronze Level
Total posts
Chips
agree hard one to spot, just beating yourself up as horrible to bust out so early

M

Mooronic

Enthusiast
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
Similar thing happened to me again yesterday. Final table with 5 players left.

Blinds were 100 / 200. I was on the big blind and was dealt A 9 off-suit. Mid stack in early position calls, big stack in late position calls and the button (mid stack) calls and sb folds. I check. I just lost a hand and was the small stack.

Pot has $400

Flop – Q J 8 (rainbow)

Checks to the big stack who throws in a probe bet of $100. Button calls, I call & early position folds. Pot has $700

Turn – 10s (flush draw )

I hit my straight and check hoping for some action. Big stack puts in $400 – Everyone folds to me.

I think awhile about it, review the bets that took place and raised him all in with my remaining $1K.

He flips over A K os. There’s no way in hell I would’ve ever had him on that hand. :mad:

S

Sandro17

Enthusiast
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
2nd hand of live tourney. 2nd tourney for the night and probably a few too many beers in. (First mistake)

blinds are 25 / 50. First hand went down uneventfully so chip stacks are pretty even at 1500.

I'm on the bb and dealt Ks Qs

Flop: Q 10 6 rainbow.

sb checks, I raise 200 (third mistake - too small a bet). sb calls.

Turn: J (rainbow board)

sb checks, I raise 300. sb re-raises all in...

...I was on tilt from being sucked out on the turn twice the previous tourney and also had to fold some pretty good hands to scary flops.

so I call. (1324th mistake)

of course, he had A K.

Heres the proper way you should have read him in this hand...

He raises to 200

Pf

You have to ask yourself which hands he would raise with?

That gives us a slight idea of what his hand is... from QJ - AA

opponent checks and therefore has no Queen or could be staring at 2nd pair

You raise 200 he calls with his 2nd pair?

At this point your opponent THINKS you have a hand

at this point we can put him on

AA KK AK K10 A10 KJ AJ maybe even J10 or JJ

Next card is a J Which really leaves us with A10 K10 KJ JJ AJ being the only hand you CAN beat

The turn comes and he checks (weakness or slowplay?)

you raise 300

he re raises ALL IN (definitely slowplay)

Your opponent now KNOWS you have a hand and goes all in

What are the hands he would be going all in with at this point?

AK AA KK JJ

what are the hands he is definitly not going all in with?

A10 K10 AJ KJ

and what do you know it looks like those are the only hand you CAN beat

and therefore that All-in on the turn showed that he had at least trips in which you would have only 4 outs any which is any A.

mrsnake3695

mrsnake3695

I'm confused
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
As for your original question we all do this. And if you watch the poker on TV you will see that even the pros do. It happens, it's only bad if you don't learn anything from it.