HORSE Tourney, Razz: Smooth T on 3rd turns into strong hand? Check 5th?

c9h13no3

c9h13no3

Is drawing with AK
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
Check 5th street? I hate giving up the lead... River seems like an easy v-bet, always nice to catch well. :D And should I have limped 3rd, for balance & since I'm in early position?

My position is right in the middle, 25/50. Top 7 places pay.

Villain is sorta spewy at LO8, drew to a non-nut low with no high potential. However, no reads on him as far as razz goes, since this is the first orbit at the table for me.

Normal $120/$240, Ante $20 - 2008-12-19 00:02:00 (ET)
Game Type: Limit Razz
Table: 3 (real money)
Seat 3 - Hero ($2231.50 in chips)
Seat 8 - Villain ($5434.50 in chips)
*** 3rd STREET ***
Innocent Bystander - Pocket [H H] Q♣
Innocent Bystander [H H] 2♣
Hero 10♣ 2♠ 3
Innocent Bystander [H H] 5♣
Innocent Bystander [H H] 9♠
Innocent Bystander [H H] 10
Innocent Bystander [H H] 9
Villain [H H] 4♣
Innocent Bystander - Bring-In $30
Innocent Bystander - Folds
Hero - Raises $120 to $120
4 Folds
Villain - Calls $120
Innocent Bystander - Folds
*** 4TH STREET ***
Hero 10♣ 2♠ 36♣
Villain [H H] 4♣3♣
Villain - Checks
Hero - Bets $120
Villain - Calls $120
*** 5TH STREET ***
Hero 10♣ 2♠ 3 6♣ Q
Villain [H H] 4♣ 3♣ Q
Villain - Checks
Hero - Bets $240
Villain - Calls $240
*** 6TH STREET ***
Hero - Pocket 10♣ 2♠ 36 Q 4♠
Villain - Pocket [H H] 4♣ 3♣ Q J
Hero - Bets $240
Villain - Calls $240
*** RIVER ***
Hero - Pocket 10♣ 2♠ 3 6♣ Q 4♠ 7♣
Villain - Pocket [H H] 4♣ 3♣ QJ [H]
Hero - Bets $240

B

baudib1

Legend
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
It's hard to make anyone fold in razz until they know they're drawing dead, if they liked their hole cards. To be honest, it'd be hard for villain to put you on a better hand until 6th street, and if he has A2 , A5 or even A7 in the hole, he's not going anywhere.

c9h13no3

c9h13no3

Is drawing with AK
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
To be honest, it'd be hard for villain to put you on a better hand until 6th street, and if he has A2 , A5 or even A7 in the hole, he's not going anywhere.
We don't want him to go anywhere on 6th do we?

Jack Daniels

Jack Daniels

Charcoal Mellowed
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
And should I have limped 3rd, for balance & since I'm in early position?
No, limping here with three to a 10 low is horrible imo. It's a marginal hand to best and you either need to chuck it or open raise here. The last thing you want is four callers whose door cards put you behind to start.

Check 5th street?
He's not shown any aggression along the way with a C/R thus far and he keeps checking to you while in the visible lead. Seems to be chasing while trying to minimize his cost in the hand. With no read at all I would check behind on 5th as there is now a good chance we're behind, but against this opponent and the spewy read I bet 5th str here.

it'd be hard for villain to put you on a better hand until 6th street, and if he has A2 , A5 or even A7 in the hole, he's not going anywhere.
Surely this villian is capable of reraising PF if he has A2, A5, or maybe even A7 in the hole, no? At least he should have raised if he had hole cards like those.

We don't want him to go anywhere on 6th do we?
No. We're obviously in the lead on 6th. He's calling you down here in most cases so bet imo.

River seems like an easy v-bet
Yep, I vbet that river every time. We only lose hear to near perfect hole cards for him to have outdrawn us on the river and that is highly unlikely based on the way he played this hand.

B

baudib1

Legend
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
Yeah, 6th/7th are definitely bets.

B

baudib1

Legend
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
Surely this villian is capable of reraising PF if he has A2, A5, or maybe even A7 in the hole, no? At least he should have raised if he had hole cards like those.

He must like his hole cards a lot to call with two bricks on board.

In fact, if he has us beat here, he sucks.

Jack Daniels

Jack Daniels

Charcoal Mellowed
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
He must like his hole cards a lot to call with two bricks on board.
True, but I seriously doubt it's anything as strong as A2 or A5 the way he's playing it. No way I can see him on a bike draw here. Based on his spew for the LO8 non-nut low, I think we see combos of 6-9 here a lot. Maybe a 8-2 or 9-2 even. Many players fall in love with decent hole cards and can't get away from them even with bricks on board, so while he may be drawing to a decent hand, we have redraws as well and I'd find it hard to believe he's on the kind of monster draw where he winds up crushing us.

OzExorcist

OzExorcist

Broomcorn's uncle
Bronze Level
Total posts
Awards
Chips
I don't mind the completion on third, and I definitely prefer it to limping from early position. Against unknowns I might just toss it though - if I'm going to play a marginal hand I'd prefer to know which of my opponents will call down with a nine and which will fold to bricks or scary boards, lest I lose a big chunk of money trying to force them into doing something they were never inclined to do :p

Much the same thinking applies to fifth street. I don't mind the bet, though I'd like it a lot more if we had a better read.

Sixth and seventh are obv. bets, though I'm really not liking our hand if we get raised on seventh. We're pretty much forced to pay it off, but still - yuck. We'll get called by eights and nines who would check if we didn't bet though, so betting seems a no-brainer.

skoldpadda

skoldpadda

Caveman Eye Surgeon
Bronze Level
Total posts
Awards
Chips
You played it fine. But if you get raised on 3rd, are you calling? Are you calling if raised on 3rd and then led into on 4th?

B

baudib1

Legend
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
Thinking about this some more, the bet/check on fifth is close but I think checking might be best. If the T was 8 or lower I'd like a bet but our hand looks good but is marginalish -- he's beating us with 98 in the hole; if we bet we make the pot so big that we'd be forced to call with much worse if we're bet into on 7th.

Starting Hands - Poker Hand Nicknames Rankings - Poker Hands