Help with a hand

M

mischman

Legend
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
pokerstars Game #7704167237: Tournament #39400669, $5.00+$0.50 Hold'em No Limit - Level III (25/50) - 2006/12/31 - 22:13:01 (ET)
Table '39400669 1' 9-max Seat #6 is the button
Seat 1: blaze282 (2355 in chips)
Seat 3: Goldie0400 (2330 in chips)
Seat 4: tenbob (2930 in chips)
Seat 5: chastityd (1880 in chips)
Seat 6: yellarcat (1340 in chips)
Seat 8: mischman (2145 in chips)
Seat 9: golfgod33 (2325 in chips)
mischman: posts small blind 25
golfgod33: posts big blind 50
*** HOLE CARDS ***
Dealt to mischman [4d Jc]
blaze282: folds
Goldie0400: folds
tenbob: folds
chastityd: folds
yellarcat: calls 50
mischman: calls 25
golfgod33: checks
*** FLOP *** [4h Jd Qc]
mischman: checks
golfgod33: checks
yellarcat: checks
*** TURN *** [4h Jd Qc] [Ts]
mischman: bets 150
golfgod33: folds
yellarcat: raises 150 to 300
mischman: calls 150
*** RIVER *** [4h Jd Qc Ts] [2c]
mischman: ?????????

What do you do if he bets?

Kenzie 96

Kenzie 96

Legend
Loyaler
Total posts
Awards
US
Chips
Checking 2 pair on flop seems to bite me in the ass more often than not, especially 2nd & botom pair. I would probably check/fold, K9 or even 89 on the button are playable hands.

NineLions

NineLions

Advanced beginner
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
Yup, I would have been afraid to check on the flop, letting a straight draw get a free card.

Now, I'm not sure; check says you've given up on the hand, but Cloutier/McEvoy say protect your chips, so maybe that's the way to go early in the tourney.

MrBove

MrBove

Enthusiast
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
I would assume he caught the straight. By only doubling the raise, it seems like he really wanted a call there, which you gave him.

If you checked the river I'd assume he'd bet big, pot size or larger. If you bet the river I'd assume he'd reraise. It's a tricky situation both ways, the cheaper way to be checking and letting him bet.

Seems like this hand is just begging to be gotten away from.

Joe_Mac

Joe_Mac

Rising Star
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
First off, I would have not check the flop in fears of a straight draw. I would have fired away, say something like 2/3 of pot to pot size bet. This is a vulnerable hand. Now I would have to agree MrBove, only doubling the bet is begging for a call. Remember the saying "Strong is weak, Weak is Strong".

I think one way of testing this was to re-raise his raise with a pot size raise to see if in fact he has it or if he was pot building since he was in position on you. With the blinds so low, you can afford to take a risk like that, without it putting you in danger, and if he calls then he probably has the straight and you will have to give up on the hand. But you will give up the hand only loosing a little and knowing that you made the correct play.

But back to the beginning, you probably should not have checked the flop.

M

Mooronic

Enthusiast
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
Checking the flop isn't that terrible of a move in this particular case - it depends on how aggressive the button has been and how likely he would try to pull a positional bet.

I would throw a safe bet - 3/4 the pot or so. If he only has a pair I don't see him willing to risk much more. If he has the straight his only move is to push all-in and you'll know you're beat.

shinedown.45

shinedown.45

Legend
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
the pot sized made by villian after the flop tells me hes holding Q-J, probably suited and has you beat, so a check/fold is in order here.
I've seen this before, you'll check, he'll put out a 1/2 pot bet and expect you to call, just fold.

Starting Hands - Poker Hand Nicknames Rankings - Poker Hands