he played it so bad he played it good?

HartAttack3

HartAttack3

Visionary
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
Stacks: - dynamite311 with 12630 - I_Hart_Poker with 4290 - mlinns with 760 - BANKROLL600 with 1880 - mr_kurt with 11240 - kalaves with 2355 - NeenaNeener with 6580 - Hudd68 with 4365

index.pl

index.pl

Blinds:
Site: full tilt poker
Dealt to I_Hart_Poker:
5s.gif
5d.gif

* - Sklansky group 6
Preflop:
**- 1 players fold.
* - mr_kurt raises to 240
**- 3 players fold.
* - dynamite311 calls [240] i_hart_poker calls [240]
* - 1 players folded.
* - Total folds this street: 5
* - Potsize: 800
Flop:
8h.gif
4s.gif
9h.gif

* - mr_kurt bets [800]
**- 2 players fold.
i_hart_poker calls [800]
* - Total folds this street: 1
* - Potsize: 2400
Turn:
9d.gif
mr kurt checks i_hart_poker bets [3,250, and is all in]
* - mr_kurt calls [3,250] I_Hart_Poker shows :
5s.gif
5d.gif

* - mr_kurt shows :
td.gif
9s.gif

* - Potsize: 5653
River:
3s.gif

* - I_Hart_Poker shows two pair, Nines and Fives mr
* - kurt shows three of a kind, Nines mr kurt wins the pot (8,900) with three of a kind, Nines

Poker Hand Converter By Cardschat.com Poker Forum

analysis please? no big decisions just good bad play? Did he just play so bad that be played good? Did I have any reason to think anything other than ak aq aj?. Hes pretty TAG but ive seen him play bad hands like this before

F

feramorzz

Rising Star
Bronze Level
Total posts
Chips
I think he played it right...and you didn't

At the risk of being very blunt, I think he played it right and you didn't. You just played it bad :)

You had a low pocket pair and I think calling 240 to see the flop was acceptable.

mr_kurt raised from early position, indicating AK, AQ, pairs, bluffs etc. He is also the #2 chip stack at the table. You didn't re-raise, you called. You also told him that you were looking for cards.

The flop missed you completely, with 2 over-cards to boot, and mr_kurt represented a hand.

You called 800 on a 8-4-9 board with 5-5? Really? Why did you call? I personally would have folded here and walked away. Or if I was really drunk, I'd have re-raised all in and attempted to steal.

He made trips on the turn and he's obviously checking. Your all-in was suicidal, and off you went. He has the nuts at that time, top trips with no flushes as yet, and unless you have the other 9 he's gold.

I remember reading Harrington, and I caught this on the second re-read...I am paraphrasing badly, but the jist of it was..."There is no reason to not respect a bet for what it is and what it could be" and "You have to have a better hand to call than raise."

You didn't and lost period.

Corrections are always welcome...

Last edited:
S

switch0723

Cardschat Elite
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
he played it so well he got you to stack into him. He raised pre flop prefectly fine, he cbet flop which he hit, seems fine so far, he checks and induces you to shove as 95% underdog. I think he played that very well

HartAttack3

HartAttack3

Visionary
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
you guys really think the preflop raise is fine? utg raise with 10-9 os? Im sorry but I just cant call that fine. I gave him a high ace, thats why i called the flop bet. His check made me think ak aq so i went all in. Granted the all in was bad because of the fact the only thing calling me beats me but I just cant agree the pf raise was good.

And yes, I played it awful lol. I know that, i thought i could push him off his hand with my all ina and i was wrong but I definitely just think his raise PF was just plain awful, granted it got me to call and win but in the long run thats an awful play

S

switch0723

Cardschat Elite
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
you guys really think the preflop raise is fine? utg raise with 10-9 os? Im sorry but I just cant call that fine. I gave him a high ace, thats why i called the flop bet. His check made me think ak aq so i went all in.

That is exactly why his raise is good. I wouldnt recomend it all the time. But you can mix up your game by raising from early position with rags. As you can represent strength on the flop to pick up chips, and in situations like the one you provided. He can win a lot of chips as no one puts him on the hand he had

HartAttack3

HartAttack3

Visionary
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
ok that sounds better, I thought you meant raising utg with 10-9 os is a good play all the time, now that we are clarified i can be happy :)

arkadiy

arkadiy

Legend
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
I think this one is your fault, you didn't hit the flop, insta-fold 55.

S

switch0723

Cardschat Elite
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
ok that sounds better, I thought you meant raising utg with 10-9 os is a good play all the time, now that we are clarified i can be happy :)

I wouldnt recomend it in cash games, but in tourny's it is just another way to pick up chips

beechleaf

beechleaf

Rock Star
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
for me a raise with 10/9 os means hes mixing up his game and knows that most likely that faces and aces are calling too see the flop and he let the pp catch up just because some one raises doesnt mean the have those hands any more lots of players act likeany too cards are live yoo the flop

rob5775

rob5775

Legend
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
you guys really think the preflop raise is fine? utg raise with 10-9 os? Im sorry but I just cant call that fine. I gave him a high ace, thats why i called the flop bet.

See, here's the problem that I see people make time and again. Pretend you don't know what he raised with here. A raise, under the gun, represents strength (with no other reads on the opponent)... which is AA, KK, QQ, JJ, even TT along with the high unpaired ace. How do you narrow you're range to a unpaired ace? Did you have a read? If not, then realistically you need to include overpairs.

Even with this flop, why think you're ahead? He could easily have an overpair to yours, or do we just not think this far ahead? If you want to find out if it's a CB, re-raise his flop bet. By just calling you are letting him see another card. What do you do when a A, K, or Q comes on turn?

I see way too many players either call a raise with a small pair or worse, re-raise with a small pair versus a early position raiser. Typically they just get stacked when a ragged flop comes and the small PP thinks there wayyyyyyy ahead. Unless you have a specific read on said raiser, this is a -Ev play no matter how you look at it.