Hand of the Day: Make it Make Sense

C

Cbabycee

Enthusiast
Silver Level
Total posts
GB
Chips

Ok so I have been witnessing such crazy stuff lately that has me facepalming but this HURT my brain. Ok so yes I play micro games and free rolls and the players are newbies or bad or whatever but I see them as experience of tournament poker it’s easy to get deep and that’s where I need practice when the stacks are big but so are the blinds. Where you need patience. So this annoys me when people play like this, especially if I get knocked out by someone clearly just messing around. Because I like to take it seriously whatever the buy in. It all means something.

Anyway - can anyone explain what happened? He called A raise for one then fourbet with that Amazing 42 off hand. Why? This was early the blinds are small.

I have a few of these and plan to post them here regularly good or bad. Id love to see some of your spots too 😳🤣

TeUnit

TeUnit

Legend
Loyaler
Total posts
Awards
Chips
Think this is what they call the "implosion factor" when a player stacks off for no apparent reason.

Its really hard to be surprised anymore with what you see at the poker table.

C

Cbabycee

Enthusiast
Silver Level
Total posts
GB
Chips
Think this is what they call the "implosion factor" when a player stacks off for no apparent reason.

Its really hard to be surprised anymore with what you see at the poker table.
And I get that if they had a decent hand or at least something to start with that they miss but won’t lay down but what the heck was he in the pot with in the first place? Sometimes I wonder if the player has popped to the loo and their 4 year old is playing for them 😇🤣. Or I hope something came up and they threw the game. I have more lol

Poker Orifice

Poker Orifice

FoolsTilt
Platinum Level
Total posts
Awards
CA
Chips

Ok so I have been witnessing such crazy stuff lately that has me facepalming but this HURT my brain. Ok so yes I play micro games and free rolls and the players are newbies or bad or whatever but I see them as experience of tournament poker it’s easy to get deep and that’s where I need practice when the stacks are big but so are the blinds. Where you need patience. So this annoys me when people play like this, especially if I get knocked out by someone clearly just messing around. Because I like to take it seriously whatever the buy in. It all means something.

Anyway - can anyone explain what happened? He called A raise for one then fourbet with that Amazing 42 off hand. Why? This was early the blinds are small.

I have a few of these and plan to post them here regularly good or bad. Id love to see some of your spots too 😳🤣

Fold preflop.

If it had just been an open raise & call you could defend in the BB with Q5s but when the other player raises, you're not closing the action here and might just be wasting chips (if faced with another raise).

Try posting hands in the Tournament section > Hand History analysis. (but I'd be happy to give input on any hand you post, where ever you choose to post it).

And as was already mentioned, you'll see ALL kinds of stuff online. Some people are drunk... others might just want to try to suckout on the other players... and who knows what motivates some of the stuff. (I think some players must have their pet cat playing for them)

pentazepam

pentazepam

Legend
Platinum Level
Total posts
Awards
SE
Chips

Move up in stakes to where they respect your raises.

But seriously you can't expect people to be serious in a freeroll or a micro-stakes MTT.

Most people just want to have fun in these. They don't teach you much about real poker.

SpanRmonka

SpanRmonka

Legend
Loyaler
Total posts
Awards
GB
Chips
This is great right. People calling with total nonsense is why its so much easier at these levels!!

dallam

dallam

Legend
Loyaler
Total posts
Awards
Chips
Sometimes I would gladly seat at a table like this when 4 people burning their cashes like this. Do not chase with Q5s tho, Pair of Q is not good, neither the Flush, even set of 5's could be easily dominated by A5s. So at the start of the hand you already barely have outs to stand strong in a hectic 4-way when pre-raises kept coming and coming.

eetenor

eetenor

Legend
Platinum Level
Total posts
Awards
Chips

A fellow poker player showed me his NL500 hands cash where people were stacking off preflop like this for $500- there are just some people who play like this and we love to have them in the game

scobido

scobido

Visionary
Platinum Level
Total posts
Awards
Chips
Yes, that's why poker is so beautiful, all types of games, you always have to expect surprises, of course we all would like to have pleasant surprises at the table, but as long as the game must have at least two players one will had the pleasant surprise and the other(s) will have the less pleasant surprise.

F

feisas7991

Rock Star
Silver Level
Total posts
Awards
Chips
Fold preflop.

If it had just been an open raise & call you could defend in the BB with Q5s but when the other player raises, you're not closing the action here and might just be wasting chips (if faced with another raise).

Try posting hands in the Tournament section > Hand History analysis. (but I'd be happy to give input on any hand you post, where ever you choose to post it).

And as was already mentioned, you'll see ALL kinds of stuff online. Some people are drunk... others might just want to try to suckout on the other players... and who knows what motivates some of the stuff. (I think some players must have their pet cat playing for them)
no calling in multiway with unconnected none nut fd cards, q5 is a fold pre a6 is fine because it gets nut flushes

C

Cbabycee

Enthusiast
Silver Level
Total posts
GB
Chips

But seriously you can't expect people to be serious in a freeroll or a micro-stakes MTT.

Most people just want to have fun in these. They don't teach you much about real poker.

Fold preflop.

Haha tbh this thread was just for fun. I wasn’t in this hand - I’ve just witnessed so many crazy plays lately I thought I’d start a hand of the day thread we could post some of these idiot plays in to make us feel better about ourselves - I feel like a pro when I see this stuff :)

ADRI7HO

ADRI7HO

On the road...
Loyaler
Total posts
Awards
Chips

4,2o didn't really know which event they were at, maybe they thought they were playing UNO. :ROFLMAO:
Beautiful hand.

makisaa

makisaa

Legend
Loyaler
Total posts
Awards
GR
Chips
Maybe these are players who are playing many games together and they decide to leave some of them, to focus to those where things are better!😤

Matt_Burns88

Matt_Burns88

Legend
Loyaler
Total posts
Awards
GB
Chips
Thank you for posting.

Firstly, I would say you should fold pre-flop. If SB just calls the min-raise, then sure, you can call because you close the action and don't face the possibility of another raise from CO or BTN.

Now let's get into CO's "imaginative" play...unfortunately there are going to be players at all stakes that are playing for various reasons. Especially in the early stages of freerolls, some players are going to goof off in the hopes that they build a big stack early and give themselves a half decent chance of cashing.

Pre-flop: 42o is never an open here, even more so when you are the short stack with stacks behind you ranging from 67bb to 170bb. What's impressive is that the open isn't even their worst play, but they then choose to min-4bet with 3 players still in the hand.

Flop: They obviously don't catch very much of the flop. If SB bets smaller, I wouldn't be totally against a bluff shove here with the BDSDBDFD, but when SB bets half pot, he has almost no fold equity. Calling is literally the worst option he could choose here.

Turn: The turn doesn't bring a 3, 5, 8 or diamond, so all the back door outs have now evaporated. If villain had a larger stack, jamming wouldn't be the worst here when SB checks, because the 89 gets there and hands like QJd/c have just binked a whole load of extra equity, but when villain is shoving 12bb into 33bb, SB should be calling with any T or better and all the good draws.

In summary, although it's obvious that villain played this hand just about as badly as it is possible to do so, who really know their motivation behind playing this way? They could be drunk, on tilt from a previous bad beat, punting early to build a big stack, just testing out the site, got something else they need to do, so just punting before they give up. The good thing is, you have the opportunity to make a note on this player, so that if you see them doing something similar in the future, you can call them much lighter than you otherwise would, because you've seen them do this. It's great information to have and you want to be playing against this type of player more often.

C

Cbabycee

Enthusiast
Silver Level
Total posts
GB
Chips
Thank you for
Thank you for posting.

Firstly, I would say you should fold pre-flop. If SB just calls the min-raise, then sure, you can call because you close the action and don't face the possibility of another raise from CO or BTN.

Now let's get into CO's "imaginative" play...unfortunately there are going to be players at all stakes that are playing for various reasons. Especially in the early stages of freerolls, some players are going to goof off in the hopes that they build a big stack early and give themselves a half decent chance of cashing.

Pre-flop: 42o is never an open here, even more so when you are the short stack with stacks behind you ranging from 67bb to 170bb. What's impressive is that the open isn't even their worst play, but they then choose to min-4bet with 3 players still in the hand.

Flop: They obviously don't catch very much of the flop. If SB bets smaller, I wouldn't be totally against a bluff shove here with the BDSDBDFD, but when SB bets half pot, he has almost no fold equity. Calling is literally the worst option he could choose here.

Turn: The turn doesn't bring a 3, 5, 8 or diamond, so all the back door outs have now evaporated. If villain had a larger stack, jamming wouldn't be the worst here when SB checks, because the 89 gets there and hands like QJd/c have just binked a whole load of extra equity, but when villain is shoving 12bb into 33bb, SB should be calling with any T or better and all the good draws.

In summary, although it's obvious that villain played this hand just about as badly as it is possible to do so, who really know their motivation behind playing this way? They could be drunk, on tilt from a previous bad beat, punting early to build a big stack, just testing out the site, got something else they need to do, so just punting before they give up. The good thing is, you have the opportunity to make a note on this player, so that if you see them doing something similar in the future, you can call them much lighter than you otherwise would, because you've seen them do this. It's great information to have and you want to be playing against this type of player more often.

Thanks for that insight :). I appreciate the time you took to review the hand. However; this was simply a thread to post WTH hands that make you think ‘is he an idiot or an absolute genius’…. (And maybe if there are new players that see this stuff and think it’s the way forward to see that it really isn’t - I have adhd and some of these crazy hands have me stumped for ages - some of the hands people have called me with are insulting lol - and I’m wondering like the commenter above if they have shown up to the right game 🤣🤣

Just a bit of fun. It was rhetorical - I wanted to share and see if it’s just free rolls this is happening in - and also if there is a reason there are so many bad bad players at the moment thinking they are good. 😊

I have a good one today :))

C

Cbabycee

Enthusiast
Silver Level
Total posts
GB
Chips

I disagree with the last statement- these party freerolls (before they changed to tickets and too many payouts). Have given me so much experience of late big stacks/big blind play; It’s helped me with patience, Realising I can lose a big hand and double up again 2 hands later if I keep my cool. I’ve learned to read the stacks as BB instead of 1.5M. Because losing 500k is devastating until you realise 1.5m was 60BB and you still have 30BB and not even in a bad position. And the end of these freerolls with 3 m blinds are crazy you can double up in 6 mins but have less BB lol - I used to get scared and limp fold a lot, these have let me practice using the bubble to my advantage, position, leaning on stacks I can cripple. And also how to play the short stack - after all all you need is a chip and a chair and I LOVE getting knocked low and coming back without going all in every hand. It gets people’s attention :)

So in the last 2 months I’ve won 2 MTT tournaments comfortably both over 200 players. And progressive knockouts :) I am able to withdraw cash regularly from SNGs and I actually feel confident in my ability. I didn’t used to feel good enough to waste money on playing regularly- the money I made from the free rolls I’ve grinded up to a bankroll :) :). So they’ve helped me a lot.

PsychoVas

PsychoVas

What The Duck???
Platinum Level
Total posts
Awards
GR
Chips
The only thing that makes sense here is that he had someone waiting for him in the bed and wanted to throw away his chips!o_O

Starting Hands - Poker Hand Nicknames Rankings - Poker Hands