FTOPS 20 (6max) AA end of last hour decision on the turn

N

nicoiko

Visionary
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
Opponent is 32/22/2.8 over 91 hands

fulltiltpoker Game #10608372837: FTOPS Event #20 (73897807), Table 360 - 30/60 - No Limit Hold'em - 14:55:34 ET - 2009/02/13
Seat 1: nicoiko (4,987)
Seat 2: AA93 (2,330)
Seat 3: oSteave (9,680)
Seat 4: AsMetzmagnyAs (6,820), is sitting out
Seat 5: Doctor_Fun (3,655)
Seat 6: charoff (7,590)
AA93 posts the small blind of 30
oSteave posts the big blind of 60
The button is in seat #1
*** HOLE CARDS ***
Dealt to nicoiko [Ac Ad]
AsMetzmagnyAs folds
Doctor_Fun folds
charoff raises to 140
nicoiko calls 140
AA93 folds
oSteave folds
*** FLOP *** [2s 9d 9s]
AsMetzmagnyAs has reconnected
charoff bets 170
nicoiko raises to 523
AsMetzmagnyAs has returned
charoff has 15 seconds left to act
charoff calls 353
*** TURN *** [2s 9d 9s] [3c]
AsMetzmagnyAs has been disconnected
charoff has 15 seconds left to act
charoff checks
nicoiko ...

What we do here?:)

Jillychemung

Jillychemung

Stacks & Stacks
Loyaler
Total posts
Awards
Chips
Why oh why do you slow play AA, preflop???

Here on the turn at this point I check and then 1/2 pot bet any non-spade.

M

m00

Rock Star
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips

Here on the turn at this point I check and then 1/2 pot bet any non-spade.

Was my first thought, too..

Since its 6handed, its even more important to play agressively.. So 100% 3bet Aces here and C-bet the flop, let him raise his draw, put him all-in, and WIN :D

N

nicoiko

Visionary
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips

I tried to maximize my profit with AA.You definitely can't only take the blinds or just a small pot when you got dealt these hands if you want to secure your way deep on these tournaments.
If he raised with A-rag suited or suited connectors or even small pairs, i gonna lose my client with a reraise + i don't mind one of the blinds calling since i got position on them.
So re-raising preflop was clearly not an option for me here even in 6max table. :)

As for my turn action I'll wait a few more advices... ;)

Jillychemung

Jillychemung

Stacks & Stacks
Loyaler
Total posts
Awards
Chips
I tried to maximize my profit with AA.You definitely can't only take the blinds or just a small pot when you got dealt these hands if you want to secure your way deep on these tournaments.
If he raised with A-rag suited or suited connectors or even small pairs, i gonna lose my client with a reraise + i don't mind one of the blinds calling since i got position on them.
So re-raising preflop was clearly not an option for me here even in 6max table. :)

As for my turn action I'll wait a few more advices... ;)

This MAY be an option if you have a table where all opponents have hundreds of hands against each other but in your usual online tournament you HAVE to 3-bet AA here for value. FPS just gets you into trouble.

A

anytwocantyou

Enthusiast
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
Slowplaying makes you lose. Would you rather take down blinds or lose ur stack cuz you got fancy.

silverslugger33

silverslugger33

Rock Star
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
Slowplaying makes you lose. Would you rather take down blinds or lose ur stack cuz you got fancy.

Don't take this personally, because this is in response to this post as well as so many exactly like it, but I hate posts like this so much. Stop assuming aces will get cracked every time. Slow playing can be very profitable. By just calling, you're disguising your hand very well. If you just play straight up poker every time, you'll be very easy to read, and short of getting extremely lucky, you won't be a profitable player.

c9h13no3

c9h13no3

Is drawing with AK
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
Wow, not 3-betting here is so bad...

M

mecoble

Enthusiast
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
bet big you already played to hand lousy dont make it worse givng him a cheap river

J

JBL_2010

Rising Star
Bronze Level
Total posts
Chips
you should just put out a feeler bet around 700 and see what happens. if not that, then check it and see what he does when the river hits.
good luck and hope you took that pot down!!

blankoblanco

blankoblanco

plays poker on hard mode
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
you're way too deep to slowplay AA here. with 30BBs or less it can become a viable option, so anyone saying "never slowplay AA!!!!" is far off. it absolutely can be done to great benefits. but not here. between the small size of his raise and the fact that you're over 80 BBs effective deep, you pretty much have to 3bet

oh, and if you're so sure he's going to fold to a 3bet because it makes your hand look too big, then your main mistake actually came before this. if you knew 3betting would look super strong, then what you do is 3bet him light a few times until he adjusts. voila, you've now stolen some chips, manipulated your table image, and given yourself a chance to get value with big hands in the future

N

nicoiko

Visionary
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
you're way too deep to slowplay AA here. with 30BBs or less it can become a viable option, so anyone saying "never slowplay AA!!!!" is far off. it absolutely can be done to great benefits. but not here. between the small size of his raise and the fact that you're over 80 BBs effective deep, you pretty much have to 3bet

oh, and if you're so sure he's going to fold to a 3bet because it makes your hand look too big, then your main mistake actually came before this. if you knew 3betting would look super strong, then what you do is 3bet him light a few times until he adjusts. voila, you've now stolen some chips, manipulated your table image, and given yourself a chance to get value with big hands in the future

very interesting. :)
I would have thought the exact opposite : better try to trap when both players are deep in order to make the pot grown (which is difficult with betting and reraising preflop because if your opponent didn't have a very strong hand he will much likely not putting lot of chips in the pot that early in the tournament). And the less BB you have the more you will have to put the money in the pot preflop.:confused:

Sounds like i've maybe found a weak point of my gameplay to work on.

As for three bets as resteals (not the case for this hand but a few 3 bets lights to change my image at the table would induce this) i for sure know that is still a weak point for me. It always hurts me to put money into the pot with hands i'm not sure i'm ahead with. I know it is important to steal those pots if you want to go deep in tournaments but i'm still thinking "showdown" and not "take the pot preflop" or "make him think you're a stealer to be paid later".

Wow two points to work on now i gonna be a very busy guy next days :D

OK i'll take this with me but now... as we can't replay this hand and the entire tournament... let's take your advices on how this should be played on turn and then at the river ;)