$Freeroll NLHE: Was this too much of a donk play?

MrDuff1331

MrDuff1331

Enthusiast
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
$Freeroll NL HE: Was this too much of a donk play?

***** Game number #11316796100 *****
$100 Freeroll (84910926), Table 121 - 120/240 Ante 25 - No Limit Hold'em - 21:21:40 ET - 2009/03/24
ROLL DOGS antes 25
MP1 antes 25
MP2 antes 25
CO antes 25
BTN antes 25
fisherman544 antes 25
Hero antes 25
BB antes 25
UTG antes 25
fisherman544 posts small blind [120]
Hero posts big blind [240]
Seat 5 (BTN) has the button.
Seat 2 :
MP1 with 14305 chips.
Seat 3 : MP2 with 18300 chips.
Seat 4 : CO with 38980 chips.
Seat 5 :
BTN with 3625 chips.
Seat 7 : Hero with 7575 chips.
Seat 8 : BB with 22612 chips.
Seat 9 : UTG with 13255 chips.
** Dealing hole cards **
Dealt to Hero :
tc.gif
:as4:
Sklansky group: 6
BB calls [240]
UTG has 15 seconds left to act
UTG folds
ROLL DOGS folds
MP1 calls [240]
MP2 folds
CO calls [240]
BTN calls [240]
fisherman544 folds
Hero checks
** Dealing Flop ** [Potsize: 1320]
:5d4: :2h4: :3s4:
Hero checks
BB checks
MP1 checks
CO checks
BTN bets [240]
Hero calls [240]
BB calls [240]
MP1 calls [240]
CO folds
** Dealing Turn ** [Potsize: 2280]
:2s4:
Hero checks
BB checks
MP1 checks
BTN bets [240]
Hero has 15 seconds left to act
Hero calls [240]
BB folds
MP1 calls [240]
** Dealing River ** [Potsize: 3000]
:8c4:
Hero checks
MP1 bets [1,440]
BTN folds
Hero raises to 4,000
MP1 has 15 seconds left to act
MP1 folds
Uncalled bet of 2,560 returned to Hero
Hero shows :
tc.gif
:as4:
Hero wins the pot (6,105)
*** SUMMARY ***
Total pot 6,105 | Rake 0
Board: [5d 2h 3s 2s 8c]
Seat 1: ROLL DOGS folded before the Flop
Seat 2: MP1 folded on the River
Seat 3: MP2 folded before the Flop
Seat 4: CO folded on the Flop
Seat 5: BTN (button) folded on the River
Seat 6: fisherman544 (small blind) folded before the Flop
Seat 8: BB folded on the Turn
Seat 9: UTG folded before the Flop

after the river i felt that if i made the bet that mp1 made i would win the pot but then i thought the btn might come over the top with not many chips left. but after he folded the bet that mp1 made i thought that mp1 was doing what i was going to do. and i just felt that he would fold if i raised. i knew he was pretty loose and aggressive, and that he liked to push around the smaller stacks. I probably shouldn't have shown. i did show because i knew that liked to bully so i wanted to show him that it wasn't going to be easy. i did get moved shortly after though.

CrossCrucificio

CrossCrucificio

Enthusiast
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
I really don't see how you can even qualify this as a donk play. You made a good bet, it might of even at best be a semi-bluff. Villain may not have had an Ace, just two over cards hoping to pair up. At best give yourself some credit of reading the player correctly with the reraise. Well done.

O

only_bridge

Legend
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
Nice play. I think this is what poker is about. Beeing able to play the player, and understanding the psycology behind it, and stay one step ahead of your opponents.

B

bobphilallo

Enthusiast
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
You were very lucky when in that because I think you played horribly you should've folded on the flop. But of course by going you just won a very good-sized pot. You were very lucky. That was not a good play.

D

drizzt

Enthusiast
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
The fact that the BTN was betting min would mean to me that at best he has a few draws. Maybe Axs in spades and he was hoping for a straight/runner-runner flush/Ace draw, as I've seen plenty of people do that. He might have had a low pair, not sure if it was good, and occasionally some people do this with a monster. MP1 would scare me a bit depending on the read. He could have been set mining and slow played trips, why bet if someone else is doing it for you like that? The fact that an 8 hit the board and he decides to bet about half the pot is suspicious. That 8 doesn't help any straight draws, nor flush draws. He's seen the BTN bet min to the river, and if he's sure he doesn't have anything, why bet out?

If I had a great hand there, i'd let the BTN do what he's done the last 2 streets and bet at it again. By betting, he's just making missed draws/weak hands fold, so what's the point? If he hit trips on the turn/river, betting out probably wouldn't get him much chips compared to checking and hoping the BTN attempts an all in shove to steal, or you try to steal from the BTN (as you said you were going to do). Hence, i dont' think your play was a donk play, but a great read. It'd be more dangerous play if there was a nasty flush/straight board out there. The straight here would require you to have A4 or 46, unlikely if he's limping from MP1.

In my (bad) opinion, it'd be a dumb move for the MP1 guy here to bet out that much if he had trips, a boat, or somehow had made a straight, as he wont win much more than the pot is right now, and could make a boat load if he checks and one of you digs your own grave. So I would also be very suspicious that he was stealing with nothing (or very little).

Then again, I'm a total novice at this game, so I could be wrong =P

Great play imo.

Last edited: